Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying

Options
  • 31-03-2005 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

Well its the easter holidays and no doubt a lot (if not all) of you are studying your pants off, so how do ya do it? I find taking notes and coming back about a week later to test yourself and see what you've remembered/forgotten then go back over your notes agan, then coming back another month later etc etc.

Anyone got tips or other methods of studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'll admit that I did intend to get a hell of a lot of study done over these holidays but that really hasn't happened, but hey I'm enjoying the break cos I figure I'm gonna need it before I go back to school.

But I find that reading a paragraph then writing down the main points while re-reading it works, I can't stand just reading stuff. I find it's better to be writing while revising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Yea I got nothing done this break at all either. Can't get into the ryhthm of studying, plus the weather is getting better all the time, just want to play football.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

All I've really done over the holidays is preparing for the orals and a bit of Maths, I haven't been able to concentrate on anything else. Anyway I need the break! I'm going to have a hellish two months coming up to the Leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Same here.I started doing bits and pieces on thursday,getting organised and what not but other than that i've been having a break.It going to be a looooooong term so we need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

yeah ditto - I figure the next couple of months I will be hard at it (esp with orals coming up!-ah!) so now is the time to rest up!

I think the best way to study, is as someone already said, to make notes as you go along and keep testing yourself mentally. When you finish a chapter or a section go back over the facts in your mind to ensure optimum retention! Something like 80% of the knowledge you have taken in is lost if you don't go over the stuff and test yourself straight afterward - and that is really depressing if you have just done an hour and a half of study (you will only remember approx 12mins of it in your long term memory...) So def go over it - it only take 2/3 mins and its well worth it

ok, I know this isn't really on-topic, but it is to do with study! It just doesn't seem to warrent a new thread imo, neway, ne tips for motivation?
    Someone told me to visualise me goin in to get my results..........but that has worn off - any scare tactics??

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

I *have* done quite a bit of studying over the break, but the problem is I've forgotten practically everything I learned two weeks ago....I shouldn't even have bothered....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I *have* done quite a bit of studying over the break, but the problem is I've forgotten practically everything I learned two weeks ago....I shouldn't even have bothered....

Never think like that. You did remember some of it, all it requires is repetion repetion repetition.

Keep it up, revise and learn of by hart by re-calling it (speak it out to yourself) when you can without the book, then write it down and keep doing so untill you know it.

I find I learn a chapter by picking out important bits, underlining them, and learning it off by re-calling it to my self, looking away and trying to remember, doing the same but writing it down on what I call "Re-Call Sheets". Helps me a lot, but everyone is different. Also, why not write out questions (made by yourself, then ones on exam papers or "Chapter Questions" in the book) and try to answer them without the book. Then see where you went wrong and fix. Keep it up - its WORTH IT!!

You defo rememberd something, and next time you look back over it - learning it or remembering it will be much easier!

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

I've only done about four and a half hours study over the whole easter break so far. I find it realy hard to motivate myself. Any motivation tips anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

Sully04 wrote:
    Never think like that. You did remember some of it, all it requires is repetion repetion repetition.

Yeah, I suppose...but there's just so much, revising everything I learned takes almost as much time as learning it in the first place. I'll revise it again when I've got a spare minute...which won't be soon because of the orals!!! Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Im glad other people are having trouble getting into Study. Its just so hard, theres a pile of books in the corner thats just begging to be revised, but im ignoring it right now. ill get back into it next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

well,if you just get the head down solidly for the next 2 months, you'll be grand. At least that's what i hope.So close now.Do the work, it'll fly by,and then we will be free.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I can't wait to be free, I'm so sick of school and studying subjects I don't particularly like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

I feel like school is really just a leech to me now.Just sucking the life out of me. I'm sick of words and numbers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

I dont even know the meaning of the word study!!I havent done a bit of study except maybe for 2 hours during the hols!!They feel like the summer hols what with the nice weather and that.....!!!The next two months are going to be horrible and they'll fly by so fast we'll be back tomorrow at school and then all of a sudden it'll be the 6th or 8th of June!!(I'M USUALLY A VERY OPTIMISTIC PERSON)!!I just cant seem to get down to it, maybe if we got less writing hmwk to leave more time for learning. Like whats hte poitn in writing an essay over the hols, it's hardly as if we can really prepare for the essay??!It has to fall right for you on the day

Advertisement