Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Strikers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Draupnir wrote:
    this was when I became certain that you had no knowledge of football outside Irish internationals and Match of the Day.

Stephen Elliot is Sunderlands top scorer and has missed about 8/10 games all season, mostly through injury.

Actually no hes been dropped in favour of Marcus Stewart and its Kyle whos been injured all season, Stewart played 36 , Elliot 29/ 10 as sub.

Good spot tho :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its pure nonsense to say Elliott is "not a regular for Sunderland"

While there has been some rotating by McCarthy his first choice strikeforce has consistently been Stewart (33 starts - 14 goals) and Elliott (28 starts - 13 goals).
    http://www.safc.com/team/?page_id=6941

So its a fact that Elliott has been a regular for Sunderland this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Big Nelly wrote:
    He is actually Graham "On loan at Shef Wednesday first team player" Barrett......and to say we are glad to have him......played 2 games so far and scored one.....has looked good in both games but really we didnt play well the other nite when we lost our first in 19 games.....

sorry to correct u but he has 2 goals including the one on his debut v. Finland.

First goal: v Finland 18/08/02 Last goal: v Jamaica 02/06/04

he is equal on international goals wit the 2 reids and has more international goals than:

John o shea
    Delap
    alan quinn
    kavanagh
    miller
    alan lee
    mcgeady
    macken
    elliott

all players that have been mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

KdjaC wrote:
    Actually no hes been dropped in favour of Marcus Stewart and its Kyle whos been injured all season, Stewart played 36 , Elliot 29/ 10 as sub.

Good spot tho :rolleyes:

kdjac

Good man Mr.Motson, Stephen Elliot is someone I played football with as a kid and his family live around the corner. I follow his career quite closely. As another poster pointed out, he is just about Sunderlands top scorer, I wasnt aware Stewart passed him, but that was last week while I was away. He pretty much lead the line for Sunderland during Stewarts bleak spell over Christmas and if you head over to a Sunderland forum, they love the boy.

I know all about Kevin Kyles injury, its the reason Elliot got his chance.

The_B_Man wrote:
    sorry to correct u but he has 2 goals including the one on his debut v. Finland.

First goal: v Finland 18/08/02 Last goal: v Jamaica 02/06/04

he is equal on international goals wit the 2 reids and has more international goals than:

John o shea
    Delap
    alan quinn
    kavanagh
    miller
    alan lee
    mcgeady
    macken
    elliott

all players that have been mentioned above.

big ears is talking about his record for Sheff. Wednesday not Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sorry, didnt realise. lets hope he keeps it up.

Draupnir wrote:
    Good man Mr.Motson, Stephen Elliot is someone I played football with as a kid and his family live around the corner. I follow his career quite closely. As another poster pointed out, he is just about Sunderlands top scorer, I wasnt aware Stewart passed him, but that was last week while I was away. He pretty much lead the line for Sunderland during Stewarts bleak spell over Christmas and if you head over to a Sunderland forum, they love the boy.

I know all about Kevin Kyles injury, its the reason Elliot got his chance.

Anyhoo back to the original post and point.

"Elliot is a Div 1 player whos not a regular/1st choice for sunderland (granted Mac knows he needs to kick his way out of Div 1 so plays other strikes ahead of him. Possible player for finals should we make it."

He is A a Div 1 player. B, not a regular due to the nature of Div 1 football. C Irish and D. not gonna play in the qualifiers but a possible for the finals(unless injuries push him up the pecking order)

Why does that make sense to me but not to you? I mean its a farily simple assesment of Ellito as an Irish striker in regards to the original post.

Oh i played football with a bloke of my street can i get a medal too?

kdjac

It doesnt make sense because Elliot is a first choice at Sunderland and no, no medal for you, sorry. Go have at look at the stats for his season and then come back when youve realised he is a first teamer there.

Draupnir wrote:
    It doesnt make sense because Elliot is a first choice at Sunderland and no, no medal for you, sorry. Go have at look at the stats for his season and then come back when youve realised he is a first teamer there.

Played 29/10 as a sub, the 3 times i seen them on fri nights, he came on as a sub. As hes an actual player who uses his feet he isnt best suited to football where your head and elbows are best used (stewart is proven Div 1 striker). He is better with the ball at his feet but Div 1 doesnt like players like that so Mac knows Big lanky striker and balls lobbed into him from Arca and other lad (check stats for Arcas goals and assists and crossing record seeing as you in a Statto mood).Not the ideal tactics when you player with skill and excellent ability to get a shot in but Kyle is broken and only played a handful of games so Elliot in because of that.

I mean thats the stats summed up, he may be a very good player in the future and could turn out to be the best striker we have, hopefully he will be in the prem next year.

kdjac

• Advertisement

yep hopefully, i totally agree with what you are saying, my point was just that he is definitely a regular in the side. its also true that its because Kyle got injured. I doubt Elliot will last very long at Sunderland once McCarthy gets a lanky forward to lash the ball to.

Elliots man attributes would be his pace, first touch, close control and his ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Sam Allardyce tried to buy him last October just before Kyle got injured, be interesting to see if anything happens there. One way or another, lets hope he gets to the Premier sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Elliott started off the season as 3rd choice. Kyle was injured for the first match so Elliott started (that was on Sky). Kyle was then fit to play again and Elliott's next 7 appearanes were from the bench. Then Kyle got injured again and Elliott has been a regular ever since. The only time he didn't start was at Christmas time when McCarthy rested him and Stewart. He got injured a few weeks ago and he and Arca came back from injury in the same match, they both came off the bench and made the goal between them.

So basically, since Kyle's injury, every game Elliott was fit to start he started bar a couple of matches at Christmas.

Advertisement