Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

64bit XP hardware troubles

• 31-03-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I've just installed the latest beta of 64bit Windows XP. I've persuaded nearly all of my hardware to comply. All but quite an insignificant item, my webcam. Obviously I will not be able to get drivers for it, it is a cheap unbranded thing I got for €22.. Anyone got any recommendations on a webcam I could buy which sports 64bit compatible drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nearly any, if you're on Linux ;)

Seriously tho, your best bet is prob'ly just to wait till XP64 is released officially; drivers are likely to come out. Do you know what chip the webcam uses? There are only a handful, so you might even be able to find drivers for another webcam that uses the same one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

@ marclar

I dont think manufactures are going to support 64bit architecture for leasure products, xp 64bit edition is ment for business professionals and not for home users. Why not just downlaod the latest longhorn build its much better.

Blitz wrote:
    @ marclar

I dont think manufactures are going to support 64bit architecture for leasure products, xp 64bit edition is ment for business professionals and not for home users. Why not just downlaod the latest longhorn build its much better.

Really? Thought the XP ones were being targetted at least partly at lunatic-fringe gamers (there's already one or two commercial 64bit games for Linux, UT2004 and such, and apparently the performance boost is considerable). In any case, webcams are used in business to an extent, so you never know...

Alternatively, of course, if you're not using Win64bit apps (and as far as I know there's very little 64bit for Windows yet), you could consider sticking with Win32 for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Well the microsoft angle on it is for business not leasure :), rsynnott webcams are ditching usb and going Network Interface CAT-5 like everything else these days so you wont need any software or drivers.

Blitz wrote:
    Well the microsoft angle on it is for business not leasure :), rsynnott webcams are ditching usb and going Network Interface CAT-5 like everything else these days so you wont need any software or drivers.

Eh, they'd be fools to ignore the leisure possiblities! Lunatic-fringe gamers drive the PC market. They upgrade every six months, and must have the newest and most expensive of everything. And if Microsoft doesn't do it, someone else will.

Webcam drivers are fairly simple, and the companies that churn out cheap USB-CMOSCam chips aren't going to stop overnight 'cause they can't tweak and recompile a driver...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Problem is, this is the most cheapy unbranded webcam ever.... ohh well, even if I can replace it I'll be happy.

Aand I do believe that 64bit XP will be aimed at the home user. Why the hell not like? Home users have snapped up 64bit AMD processors in their droves, and games are supporting the extra oomph. If any of you have played the game "Savage" (multiplayer only game), you might be aware that the back sports a "64bit compatible" style logo. And that game was released about a year ago, as far as I remember!

Advertisement