Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothic Rock/Metal

Options
  • 31-03-2005 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else listen to Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy?
    Or is there any other good bands in this genre I should check out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Father Jack

female vocalists...hmmm... i'm not fully convinced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

its not just female fronted bands that feature-bands like Moonspell and HIM have male singers. In Tristania the male singers feature more than the female singer, and the same goes for Within Temptations old stuff. It adds a fantastic contrast in sound.it really is beautiful stuff

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I quite like Nightwish (the band ;)) tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Father Jack

I hate HIM with an unparalleled passion... also i know wat ur sayin bout the female vocalists there... i do like some of the bands mentioned above but sadly cannot add to your list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, I like Nightwish, and to a lesser extent Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and Tristania.

Although it's odd to see a thread about Gothic Metal and no mention of Paradise Lost.
    For shame.

• Advertisement

sorry i didnt mention all the excellent bands in the genre.paradise lost are quite good, i also omitted Elis/Erben der Schopfung, Flowing tears, lullacry, novembre.i just wanted to get other people to field their views and to submit their fave goth bands, cos this genre never gets a look in on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love Nightwish (the band...). Tarja's got an amazing voice.

I love Nightwish (the band...). Tarja's got an amazing voice.

they rock my world...hence the nickname.I went to see them in London in feb and it was amazing.the best gig i was ever at. if you have the album Once you will truly appreciate the majesty and wonder that was, when they played Ghost Love Score as part of the encore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

Sirenia anyone?

they sound quite like tristania, but arent as good IMO. i know that morton veland formerly of tristania is one of the founding members and chief songwriters of sirenia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

Try
    Madder Mortem
    Lullacry
    Warmen

or just buy Misbehavior, really cool album
    all female fronted bands though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

tbh I can't really stand female vocalists, there are two I do like however, Arch Enemys Vocalist and Therions Female Vocalist, but in general, female vocalists in metal just doesnt do it for me.

Paradise Lost - one of the best bands ever IMO.

Try
    Madder Mortem
    Lullacry
    Warmen

or just buy Misbehavior, really cool album
    all female fronted bands though
    i have it-though it doesnt showcase the true sounds of some bands-the lacuna coil song is a poor choice, and the Novembre cover is great, but thats not their original sound, as is the warmen cover, other than that its a great compilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Im not a big fan of most of the stuff you listed

but if you like goth rock then check out some of the pionears like
    Killing Joke (their early stuff)
    and The Birthday Party

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nightwish wrote:
    they rock my world...hence the nickname.I went to see them in London in feb and it was amazing.the best gig i was ever at. if you have the album Once you will truly appreciate the majesty and wonder that was, when they played Ghost Love Score as part of the encore
    I LOVE Ghost Love Score! And Once is an amazing album...

I LOVE Ghost Love Score! And Once is an amazing album...
    its my favourite song ever. i couldnt believe they played it as it has so much choral and orchestral parts to it I didnt think they would ever perform it live outside of a symphonic setting, however i was gladly proven wrong. the whole crowd sang the choral parts and after being part of that i can now die happy!!!

Im not a big fan of most of the stuff you listed

but if you like goth rock then check out some of the pionears like
    Killing Joke (their early stuff)
    and The Birthday Party

I find Goth Rock and Gothic Metal completely seperate things altogether. If we're talking Goth Rock, it's something that was born from the post-punk scene, with bands like Joy Division, Siousxie & The Banshees, Bauhaus and so on. Fields Of The Nephelim and The Mission being two of my favorite Goth Rock bands, but anyone with a watchfull eye would've noticed I used to have Carl McCoy from the Nephelim as my avatar a while back.

I think Gothic Metal on the other hand was all Paradise Lost's doing, when they introduced the female vocals and keyboards on the album "Gothic" and everything just went from there. Back then nobody did anything like it.

Both great genres I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

Nightwish wrote:
    i have it-though it doesnt showcase the true sounds of some bands-the lacuna coil song is a poor choice, and the Novembre cover is great, but thats not their original sound, as is the warmen cover, other than that its a great compilation.

yeah, i agree but it does give you a good insight into the world of female fronted metal. Which is cool
    they should have put something else for both lacuna coil and nightwish on the cd, as they have better songs but the album isnt one of the worst that i own
    Love the evenfall song

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Nightwish NOT Gothic,
    Nightwish Power Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

mp3guy wrote:
    Nightwish NOT Gothic,
    Nightwish Power Metal
    Freedoms Call are power metal, Id say Nightwish probably would be closer to Gothic than Power metal tbh, Nightwish simply arent cheesey enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Nightwish wrote:
    Does anyone else listen to Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy?
    Or is there any other good bands in this genre I should check out
    I like the last two bands best,you should try After Forever! beauty and the beast metal at its best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I find Goth Rock and Gothic Metal completely seperate things altogether. If we're talking Goth Rock, it's something that was born from the post-punk scene, with bands like Joy Division, Siousxie & The Banshees, Bauhaus and so on. Fields Of The Nephelim and The Mission being two of my favorite Goth Rock bands, but anyone with a watchfull eye would've noticed I used to have Carl McCoy from the Nephelim as my avatar a while back.

I think Gothic Metal on the other hand was all Paradise Lost's doing, when they introduced the female vocals and keyboards on the album "Gothic" and everything just went from there. Back then nobody did anything like it.

Both great genres I think.

Well they did say goth rock/metal

I was just sujesting Goth Rock bands
    Post Punk is probably my favouite genre with early goth rock being a subdivision of that
    cant stand goth metal though

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

cant remember who said it but "heavy metal or no metal at all"

personally, i cant stand any of the bands like nightwish or HIM, i just hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I like Nightwish and Tristania too but an excellent gothic band is The Sins of thy Beloved. Check them out. They also do a brilliant cover of The Thing That Should Not Be by Metallica. Weirdly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

dude you have to check out Rasputina! They kick ass! they're a female cello gothic rock/metal band. sounds terrible i know but they're great! They have deep dark rock and metal lines mixed with the leads high melodic voice and a couple of high noted lines playing through giving their songs the touch of elegance and class that just makes it pure goth!!!

Worth noting that Chris Vrenna is involved with Rasputina, so it's worth checking out. For those of you who don't know who he is, go to www.tweaker.net now.

I'll have you know Chris Vrenna is not involved with Rasputina.

Are you sure? I was fairly certain he was.

Yep, according to tweaker.net Chris Vrenna is the producer for Rasputina, and remixed tracks on the 'My Fever Broke' EP.

• Advertisement

okay well on the official Rasputina website there is no mention of him that I can find but I dont have any cds to verify that. Ill get you one day Karl Hungus!!! Got anything bad to say bout Opeth, cuz if you do!!!!!

Advertisement