Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2005 Objective - New Pike Record

Options
  • 31-03-2005 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Boosted by the news of an incredible Pike taken in Northern Ireland a couple of weeks ago (46-48lbs, scales being tested to check if it breaks the British Record), I'm re-starting one of my old objectives - to break the irish Lake Pike Record........

Currently standing at 39 3 & standing since 1993 from Lough Key, it simply must be breakable.

Old Irish records show Pike up to a whopping 90 Lbs !!! being taken, so I'm targeting old waters & Carp waters to see if I can break it.

If any of you have info, stories picked up in the local etc, I'd be grateful. I have six target waters to start from, but any other info would be much appreciated.

Andi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Good luck, like any fishing, this will be all about putting in alot of time on the right venues. I'd have thought as the pike were about to spawn tho that you're starting a bit late, best chances of catching a really big pike is from Feb till they spawn (around now). You're right tho, its a record that should be breakable. It prolly would have been broken if coarse fish were properly protected, the current pike bylaws are a joke.

Whats your biggest pike to date? I've done some pike fishing over the winter, got cold and wet alot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yeah I am a bit late for this year, but I'm very much looking at this as the 'start' of what could be a two or three year project. I figure by putting in the groundwork now, it will pay dividends for early next year.

My biggest lake Pike to date was taken from Lough Derg and weighed in at 28lbs, biggest river Pike was from the River Suck in Roscommon back in 1999 & broke the 30lb barrier at just over 31lbs.....

I see the guy in the North missed the British record by 8oz - he chose to put the Pike straight back, which has to be commended, rather than wait for more accurate scales.

I'm gonna work on a campaign of baiting up several swims for periods of time & see what I get - I think the Shannon region has to be my best bet & I have a friend up there who will pre-bait for me (in return for a few pints when I'm up there). Although I've got a feeling that Lough Iron in Westmeath could be the trump card in the pack. Several large pike to 28lbs recently & its very, very unfished as the lough is overgrown & has to be accessed by boat.

Advertisement