Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You Vote?

Options
  • 31-03-2005 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I heard this morning that the turnout was extremely low, but maybe it picked up later in the day. Anyone know the approximate figures?

There's been a lot of talk about student apathy on this forum and I was just wondering how many of you actually went out and voted :)

And if you chose not to, why not?

Did you vote in the SU elections? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I heard it was extremely low myself.
    I voted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was too "in bed" to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Was too "afraid of seeing a horse man lady" to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Hester wrote:
    but maybe it picked up later in the day.

It did. Because they started giving out sweeties as bribes.

Not that I let that sway me.

Really.

;>.>
    <.<;

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

there was a vote?

0_o

*sigh* well, I barely read my student mails and the dates weren't exactly plastered all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Turnout was bad but they did reach quorum which is good. Results tommorrow maybe? We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Lantis wrote:
    It did. Because they started giving out sweeties as bribes.

Not that I let that sway me.

Really.

;>.>
    <.<;
    Heh, there were no sweeties to be seen when I voted although I did get a lolly later on. Had they got to me earlier my vote might have been different :p

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I hear they feed polo mints to horses...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

TBH. Fúckin disgraceful. I didn't even know there was a vote in progress until today. Who the hell promotes these things? the pope? he's kind of out of action atm.

Zyox wrote:
    I hear they feed polo mints to horses...
    Horses have all the fun... :(
    dregin wrote:
    TBH. Fúckin disgraceful. I didn't even know there was a vote in progress until today. Who the hell promotes these things? the pope? he's kind of out of action atm.
    Yeah, it was pretty low-key this year. A few emails were sent and I probably wouldn't have known about it apart from that. I wasn't going to vote because I know next to nothing about any of the candidates. I was told that the quorum might not be reached, so decided to "make my voice heard" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There were all students mails, half an issue of An Tarbh dedicated to it, front page of College View dedicated to it and posters all over campus.

Maybe I just saw these cause I know a candidate. Of and Sarah's "VOTE SARAH FARRELL" on the glass area above the Sports Complex/Club was completely unnoticible.

Seriously though. Did people find it that bad? I thought it was well signposted. There's only so much the candidates can do - it is a personal expense after all.

halenger wrote:
    There's only so much the candidates can do - it is a personal expense after all.
    Fair enough.

I saw a lot more of the candidates last year though, and not just posters and stuff. I remember Paul May made a big effort to talk to people around campus and before lectures etc. I've never actually seen either of the candidates for SU pres. this year. That's not to say they haven't been doing much campaigning, just that if they were, they didn't make themselves known to me the way the way last year's guys did.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I knew the elections were coming up, just had no idea when.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

halenger wrote:
    Maybe I just saw these cause I know a candidate. Of and Sarah's "VOTE SARAH FARRELL" on the glass area above the Sports Complex/Club was completely unnoticible.

I remember Paul May doing that last year, I also remember him coming into the end of several lectures urging people to vote. Thing with DCU is many people just arn't that bothered with voting in the SU elections....

Winters wrote:
    I remember Paul May doing that last year, I also remember him coming into the end of several lectures urging people to vote. Thing with DCU is many people just arn't that bothered with voting in the SU elections....

Sarah's very much for the walking into classes and talking. I'm not sure if she did but I'd be fairly surprised if she didn't do it.

Anyhow congratulations to her on her election and best of luck in her reign...as EVIL OVERLORD of DCU! W00t. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 騎手

What happens to the positions that didn't reach the quorum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

ive no idea, elections will probably reopen in september. as soon as i know i'll fill ya's all in.

and there was class emails sent, i sent them myself, and class reps were asked to send them and there was flyers and everything. cant make ppl vote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I voted, but to be honest I probably would have forgotten only I walked through the Hub, there was only one wee table and it didn't look like there was much of a stir.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Students Union ****ed it up so had to do it all again which meant they hadn't much time to promote it. Was really annoying because I had some vote Mr. T posters and vote Hasselhoff posters I was going to post up as a joke (better than the 1 Mr. T poster I put up last year). Didn't vote myself since I think the students union is a complete farce. However I did take the lovely ladies sweeties.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

well if you didn't vote you've no right to be giving out about the SU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The Students Union ****ed it up so had to do it all again which meant they hadn't much time to promote it. Was really annoying because I had some vote Mr. T posters and vote Hasselhoff posters I was going to post up as a joke (better than the 1 Mr. T poster I put up last year). Didn't vote myself since I think the students union is a complete farce. However I did take the lovely ladies sweeties.
    You're an idiot.

It's because of people like you that we have to waste time getting every single poster stamped in order to put them up around the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

At least hes trying to put a smile on the face of a few people. Its only a joke.

Congrats to Sarah, glad someone I know of got the job and she obviously wanted it so thats good.

Personally, I think the Union is a waste of time. Nice for the lads involved to stick on their cv's though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

The Results are in for this years elections! Late last night the following
    candidates were elected in the Students union executive for next year.

The results are:

President

Sarah Farrell 634
    Claire Kehoe 539
    Spoilt votes 42

Sarah Farrell deemed elected

Deputy President, Education Officer & Secretary

Yvonne Tuohy yes 1082
    No 89
    Spoilt 48

Yvonne Tuohy deemed elected

Vice-President, Welfare & Equality Officer

Deirdre Moran 590
    Sarah Judge 553
    Spoilt 74

Deirdre Moran deemed elected

Clubs & Socs Officer

Siobhan Hickey yes 1018
    No 108
    Spoilt 90

Siobhan Hickey deemed elected

Womens&#146; Officer

Laura Whitmore Yes 1034
    No 123
    Spoils 58

Laura Whitmore deemed elected

Business Convenor

Claire Blacklaw Yes 356
    No 56
    Spoilt

Claire Blacklaw deemed elected

Engineering & Computing

Sinead Harrington 185
    Eoin Cleary 79
    Spoilt 9

Sinead Harrington deemed elected

Science & Health

David Grimes Yes 189
    No 70
    Spoils 4

Quorum (285) was not reached. No candidate elected

Humanities & Social Sciences

Gillain McVeigh Yes 208
    No 22
    Spoilt 8

Quorum (370) was not reached. No candidate elected

Postgraduate Chair

Sandra Rothwell Yes 78
    No 6
    Spoilt 0

Quorum (267) was not reached. No candidate elected

Postgraduate Education Officer

Declan Carey 27
    Sinead McGivney 55
    Spoilt 3

Quorum (267) was not reached. No candidate elected.
    Student Finance Committee Rep

Jennifer Lynch Yes 1031
    No 104
    Spoilt 73

Jennifer Lynch deemed elected

Thats the results. I thought a lot of people voted for the presidents tbh.

I dunno. I expected better, I always think its so futile when people dont get their place because of lack of votes. I mean, when someone goes to so much effort. And not enough people are willing to go out.

I mean, these people want to work on our behalf, and most of us [the students] can't even bother to VOTE them in to work their asses off.

Sad to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

What would encourage people to vote though? of course free sweets (i got three lollipops!) but is there something that would make everyone (well not everyone but more people) to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

well what should encourage people to vote is some sense of actually giving a toss about the college you go to, realising that people want to help you in various ways and voting for them. for christ's sake...i just don't get it. it took two minutes to vote, there were no suicide bombers at the ballot boxes and still people couldn't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 騎手

It's a bit of a vicious cycle really, because no one votes because they see the SU as being useless, while the SU becomes more useless because no one votes so it doesn't have a mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I don't think you can blame it on DCU though. It's just part of the general trend of apathy towards politics in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

People just don't get it, and that's sad.

the unions not THAT bad, are we???

• Advertisement

oh and its a bit hard to know who to vote for when some of the candidates didnt bother their ar$es to run any sort of campaign.

Advertisement