Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who/Whom?

• 31-03-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, could someone please explain to me the difference between who and whom?

Thank you, Liz

Comments

"Who" doesn't have to refer to a person, whereas "whom" always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

If you do a modern European language, you should know that there's the whole "nominative" "genative" "accusative" and "dative" thing... Basically, as far as I have ever understood it, anything that isn't nominative gets whom...

Plunky wrote:
    If you do a modern European language, you should know that there's the whole "nominative" "genative" "accusative" and "dative" thing... Basically, as far as I have ever understood it, anything that isn't nominative gets whom...

Yes thats it exactly. I wasn't sure of how to put it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hey, could someone please explain to me the difference between who and whom?

Thank you, Liz
    The latter has an extra 'm' at the end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv47.shtml

Nice table - but US site so they despite 222 years as a country they still aren't up to speed on the old grammar.
    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns.htm
    To choose correctly among the forms of who, re-phrase the sentence so you choose between he and him. If you want him, write whom; if you want he, write who.
    For him the bell tolls

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And if the above makes no sense, only use 'whom' following a preposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I had a teacher in primary school who claimed that only people in Northern Ireland use whom. Shocking ignorance!

It annoys me very much when people get it wrong. :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was she talking about SDLP politician John Whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

lol

Advertisement