Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ZiZu wants to play in in the France Ireland match

• 31-03-2005 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

31/03/2005
    Foot - Zidane : «Jouer à Dublin, j'aimerais bien»

http://www.lequipetv.fr/Football/20050331_193035_01.html
    Dans un entretien accordé à L'Equipe Magazine, qui paraîtra samedi, Zinedine Zidane a laissé entendre qu'il aimerait bien effectuer un retour en équipe de France, le temps d'une rencontre.

Pour lui, le match en question serait celui que la France jouera en septembre prochain contre l'Irlande, à Dublin, en éliminatoires de la Coupe du monde. Pour ZZ, «c'est celui où l'on risque gros».«Vous savez que cela ne se fera pas, mais revenir à Dublin, jouer à Lansdowne Road devant 50 000 Irlandais, gagner et repartir, ça m'irait bien. Oui, j'aimerais bien», a-t-il déclaré.

In a maintenance granted to the Magazine Team, which will appear Saturday, Zinedine Zidane implied that he would like to carry out a return in team of France, the time of a meeting. For him, the match in question would be that which France will play next September against Ireland, in Dublin, in eliminating heats of the World cup. For ZZ, "it is that where one risks large". "You know that that will not be done, but to return to Dublin, to play Lansdowne Road in front of 50 000 Irishmen, to gain and to set out again, that would suit me well. Yes, I would like ", it declared.

ZiZu wants to play in in the France Ireland match :eek: That is something we dont need ! I hope this is a April Fools joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Translation:
    In an interview to the L'Equipe magazine, which will appear on Saturday, Zinedine Zidane implied that he would like to return to the French team, for just one encounter.

For him, the match in question would be that which France will play next September against Ireland, in Dublin, in qualification heats of the World cup. For ZZ, "this is where the risk is large ".

"You know that that will not be done, but to come back to Dublin, to play in Lansdowne Road in front of 50 000 Irishmen, win and set off again, that would suit me well. Yes, I would like that very much", he declared.
    I can see this happening. He'll look at what Roy Keane did and take example. He was not expecting France to have such a difficult task in qualifying.

"You know that that will not be done" - I feel that is basically leaving it in Domenech's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

is he still that good anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eyerer wrote:

He's better than Giuly , and thats pretty good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If he did come back for this one game it'd be putting himself under emormous (sp?) pressure. It's not really like Keane coming back because all he had to do was weather the storm for a game or two then its pretty much forgotten. Zidane wanting to come back for the one game means he has to perform and France HAVE to win or itll come down on him.

eyerer wrote:
    This man could have arthritis in both knee's and he'd still be quality. :) His football brain and the way he spots a pass is amazing. Haven't seen Madrid in a while but I'd say he's still their best outfield player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

He's lost a bit of pace,but he's still got it i think. Oh,in case nobody's seen this :eek: :
    http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=09EE5WHNRUEF41NUJAHX3OFR7L
    Haha, hes still cool,though :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

You know that that will not be done, but to return to Dublin, to play Lansdowne Road in front of 50 000 Irishmen, to gain and to set out again, that would suit me well. Yes, I would like
    Someone should inform him that the Lansdowne Road pitch is crap and there won't be near 50,000 Irishmen there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Mmmmm, April 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

fingers crossed its a spoof. But as alex fergeson says "Zidene has all the flicks and tricks but never hurts you".

Jesus lads, sometimes its a little difficult to spot an April Fools but this certainly isn't one. :D

Domemech:
    "I would welcome him and I would select him with great happiness. I would just like to know that this is a reality."
    "The door is wide open,"
    "Zizou is still one of the best players in the world and if he says he is eligible, I will call him with great joy."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

eirebhoy wrote:
    Jesus lads, sometimes its a little difficult to spot an April Fools but this certainly isn't one. :D

Domemech:
    "I would welcome him and I would select him with great happiness. I would just like to know that this is a reality."
    "The door is wide open,"
    "Zizou is still one of the best players in the world and if he says he is eligible, I will call him with great joy."
    Thank god the fooling part of the day is now over! I can't handle anymore scares like that one!

Dublin calling: Zidane hints at return
    By Liam Mackey
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sgo3kZICEdxjksgdq-nXlDAyFE.asp
    ZINEDINE ZIDANE has dropped a heavy hint that he might yet be persuaded out of retirement to play for France in the World Cup qualifier in Dublin on September 7.

The retired superstar of French football is quoted in the French press as saying: “You know, I would like to be in Dublin to play in Lansdowne Road, in front of 50,000 people, to help France win.

“I would like it, yes,” he added, “but it will not happen.”

Despite that apparently emphatic conclusion, the conflicting signals sent out by the comments are being interpreted in France as leaving the door open to what would be a sensational international comeback by the Real Madrid star.

The already embattled French manager Raymond Domenech will now face even more pressure to try to persuade Zidane to resume his international career.

Meanwhile, speaking from Frankfurt Airport yesterday, en route from Tel Aviv to Dublin, Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr struck a philosophical note about the 1-1 draw between Israel and France in the Ramat Gan stadium on Wednesday night.

“In some ways, no matter what the result, there would have been some benefit for us,” said Kerr.

“But usually when you’re competing with other teams in a situation like this you’re happiest when they draw. Anyway, I wasn’t there to see who won - I was more concerned with the teams and especially the changes in the French side.”

On the likelihood of David Trezeguet missing the game in Dublin, once the FIFA disciplinary committee review his red card for head-butting Ben Haim, Kerr says his absence wouldn’t pose as much of a problem for the French as it would for other teams.

“You saw what they had on the bench in Tel Aviv - Henry and Giuly - and they didn’t pick Pires. Also, Trezeguet didn’t play against us in Paris. They have enough strength in depth to cope, although losing him would not exactly help them either.”

Following Wednesday’s game, Israel also will be missing a couple of players through suspension when they come to Dublin on June 4.

“The loss of Ben Haim and Badeer isn’t necessarily a big problem for Israel against us,” said Kerr. “After our game, they dealt quite well without the three who were missing against France.”

While Kerr was in Tel Aviv, Lou Macari was watching Switzerland struggle to beat Cyprus with a late, late goal.

Said Kerr: “I had felt that, with Cyprus changing their manager, they were likely to become more competitive. The consolation for us in the late goal is that the Swiss didn’t get to score more, so we’ve narrowed our goal difference with them - we’ve scored five against Cyprus and the Faroes and they’ve scored six. In a group this tight, there could be something in that as well.

“This is still the tightest group. I got the sense out in Tel Aviv that people felt we were the best side in the group to play there but that means nothing unless we push on from here. Home advantage hasn’t really counted so far in the group and we have to make the most of it for the games against Israel, France and Switzerland.”

France coach Domenech believes the battle in Group Four could go down to the wire but insists his side must make the 2006 finals in Germany.

The Swiss and the Irish have a game in hand so have the opportunity to leap ahead of France before Les Bleus are next in action during the autumn, when the qualification battle will eventually be won or lost, but Domenech refuses to consider the worst-case scenario.

“Of course we would like to have 18 points out of 18 but it’s hard even though the players have not lost hope. For me qualification is obligatory, there is no other option.

“I cannot even imagine for one second there might be another option. All the work we’ve achieved so far was for the qualification.”

“We must be proud and look ahead,” added Domenech.

“There will be a few months between now and the mouth-watering final matches.”

Domenech said he understood Trezeguet’s frustration.

“I understand his reaction because the Israeli player almost broke his leg in the previous tackle,” said Domenech.

hopefully it will wont happen. It could be a big boost for the french morale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

fingers crossed its a spoof. But as alex fergeson says "Zidene has all the flicks and tricks but never hurts you".

i think leverkusen would disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

exposed as an april fools day joke, confirmed by his agent
    link is on skypsorts.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

galwaydude wrote:
    exposed as an april fools day joke, confirmed by his agent
    link is on skypsorts.com
    thanks be to god
    amen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

or he could be testing the waters for a come back and using april 1st as an excuse?

or it could be an april fools sayin its an april fools joke! :confused:

From soccernet:
    The French Football Federation said it had contacted L'Equipe, who assured the interview was genuine on a day when hoax stories and practical jokes in the media are common place.

Emmett Malone of the Irish Times also wrote an article on his supposed return. Domenech was suspicious but still said the door is open.

I can't believe its not true. I'm still not 100% sure though. Zidane probably told his agent to pour cold water on the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Zinedine Zidane's proclaimed international comeback has, as expected, been exposed as an April Fools' Day hoax by the French ace's agent.
    French daily L'Equipe ran a story with quotes from Zidane which suggested the Real Madrid playmaker would come out of international retirement to aid his country's World Cup qualifying bid.
    Zidane was quoted as saying he will return to the fold for one game only - the September showdown with Republic of Ireland at Lansdowne Road.
    Les Bleus coach Raymond Domenech had voiced his caution at the news, admitting he felt it was a prank.
    Now, Zidane's representative - Alain Migliaccio - has confirmed that the newspaper was playing a joke.
    Migliaccio admits Zidane will not change his mind about the national team as once he has made a decision, he sticks to it.
    "He was never able to say that," said Migliaccio.
    "When he takes a decision, he holds himself to it.
    "For me, there is no more beautiful

HAHA:D great news. Last thing we need now is France beliving they have a chance. The french media have tipped Ireland to top the group btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

' but to come back to Dublin, to play in Lansdowne Road in front of 50 000 Irishmen, win and set off again, that would suit me well.

Well I dont know how they're going to get 50000 in for a WCQ(not for a few years anyway- if ever)
    Besides Lansdowne is hardly on the list of the worlds' great stadia where players would want to play.The Irish like it 'cos they've nowhere else !!

April etc

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

HAHA:D great news. Last thing we need now is France beliving they have a chance. The french media have tipped Ireland to top the group btw :)
    As I said, Domenech asked the French FA to contact L'Equipe and they told them it was not a prank. We all know what agents are there for, don't get your hopes up yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i would be very surprised if he makes a come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i cant see this as an april fools joke. A very bad one on L'equipes part if it is. Getting French peoples hope up, then saying its a april fools joke, surely they realise how pissed off the franch people would be at them for that?!

aslo, the match wont be at lansdowne road anyway.

aslo, the match wont be at lansdowne road anyway.
    Yes it will. Lansdowne is being redoveloped after the World cup. Even if Rule 42 is changed then they'll stay in Lansdowne until its gone.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Yes it will. Lansdowne is being redoveloped after the World cup. Even if Rule 42 is changed then they'll stay in Lansdowne until its gone.

eh, when did they decide this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

a while back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I nearly choked when i heard Zidane was coming back for the ireland match. One of the greatest players ever. i thought it was a little strange that he would come back just for the 1 match. But i'm delighted its a hoax, i know Zidane is only 1 man but we all know what he did against England in the euros. I'm still alittle unsure if it really is a hoax or is zidane trying to get back playing for france??

Time will tell.

confirmed as a wind up
    Zidane plays an April Fool
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1369996&issue_id=12292

FORMER France midfielder Zinedine Zidane will not be coming out international retirement to help France's World Cup qualifying bid his agent said yesterday.

On Thursday, Zidane hinted at a possible return for France's trip to Dublin on September 7 but agent Alain Migliaccio said: "When he makes a decision, he sticks to it. For me, it's a great April Fool's."

Great news from an Irish point of view, the french havent a leg to stand on now :p

You didn't know Lansdowne was being redoveloped? Why did you think there is all this talk about Croker opening?
    confirmed as a wind up

Great news from an Irish point of view, the french havent a leg to stand on now :p
    The Indo use the same quotes that Sky do but this time its confirmed? ;) Anyway, yeah, Zidane has came out and denied it all but they did have an interview.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    You didn't know Lansdowne was being redoveloped? Why did you think there is all this talk about Croker opening?

jesus no, i aint that far behind. I just thought they were redeveloping it when the last few WCQ would be on. I didnt know they pushed it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Zidane v Kilbane

The 2 greats of skill

I'd love to see a compilation of Kilbanes skill like the one of Zidane some day

jesus no, i aint that far behind. I just thought they were redeveloping it when the last few WCQ would be on. I didnt know they pushed it back.
    It was always planned for after the world cup. Anyway, I'm replying to you saying that the France match would be in Croker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The french media have tipped Ireland to top the group btw :)

Probably because they know how bad we perform as favourites and also to take the heat off themselves.

franch people

Lol. :D

B.

Advertisement