Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science (FT228) Help

• 01-04-2005 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm in FT228/2 and next year I'll have to pick one of three streams to take;

* Software Development
    * Computer Science
    * Data Management

I was wondering is there anyone in year 3 or 4 out there who could recommend one stream over the other two,

which stream is the easier for people who don't like to program ???

Are there any new lecturers who are good / interesting ???

which is best ??

HELP !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Going with the work experience route if you don't like to program as Data mgt route will focus on A.I. type stuff (among other things) and the computer science route (btw are you sure these are the names of the routes, i guess they changed them or something) will have you learning scripting of some sort (e.g. batch scripting, andbash etc) among other things and in 4th year you will have one core subject that will heavily involve programming (Systems Programming).

If you want anymore info. just ask.

Also ask who ever your year head is to maybe get some 3rd or 4th years to talk to you about the routes or something. Anyway last i checked you don't have to make up your mind till your in 3rd year (unless they changed it), i few of us tried out all the routes before coming to a decision. In fact i left my choice of route pretty late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm in 3rd year now on work experience (SDIS route?)

For us the 3 routes were

-SDIS (work experience)
    -CSAA (unix, shell programming, etc)
    -DKM (AI, logic, etc)

I would recommend SDIS because you only have to do 3 months of college for the whole of 3rd year, and it's not like they try to cram a years work into 3 months, it literally is just 3 months of college. You just do the winter exams and you're finished for the year when you start working. And its a lot easier than anything you'll have to do in 2nd year (which was a nightmare imo). The other 2 routes have 2 sets of exams (winter and summer) which both have to be passed to get into 4th year.

Advertisement