Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME over?(ba dum tish)

Options
  • 01-04-2005 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

UK retail outlet GAME has announced that they are in preliminary negotiations with an unnamed company, as shares of the company hit a 52-week high on the London Stock Exchange this morning.

A spokesperson for the retailer said GAME"is in discussions which may or may not lead to an offer for the company." They did not name who they were, but rumours have been flying that US companies GameStop and Electronics Boutique may be interested.

GameStop have recently unveiled their plans to open 35 stores in the UK this year, after acquiring GameZone. This information comes after some good news for GAME, as their stock has been rising over the last few days, and reached a high this morning.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Post a comment or I'll be deleting this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

MCV recently made a comment that Tesco may be looking into buying GAME as they intend on extending their non-food retail divisions, GAME denied it as a rumour.

Frankly I think that GAME need to sort themselves out, and a take over may be what that takes. I doubt it's Gamestop though, they spent far too much getting their foot into the UK market already (and a lesser amount into the Irish one). EB is more likely, but didn't GAME only recently break away from the US division after aquiring the EB stores here and abroad? I'm not sure exactly what went on there but I know there used to be links and now there aren't.
    Tesco would be interesting to see, but one thing is for sure, with increased competition in the Irish market and the huge effect of online retail GAME can no longer justify their high prices

(but let us not forget that no link has been given for the above, and it's April 1st :S)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

monument wrote:

Wow that was a little uncalled for no? :eek:

Anyway tbh I couldnt really care less if game goes or not. They werent excatly anything ground breaking retail wise when the took over Electronics Boutique. I always prefered EB, their staff seemed to have a decent knowledge of games. Unlike the average Game employee (excusing Rainbow and Evad :) ) who are brainwashed to recommend EA games, /shudders. Id like to see more competition in the games retail department as buying games from shops is burning major holes in my pockets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I always prefered EB, their staff seemed to have a decent knowledge of games. Unlike the average Game employee (excusing Rainbow and Evad :) )

*COUGH* ....... erm, aren't you forgetting someone :D;)

I must say that I've never been told to recommend a title, and I never have unless I truely believed it deserved recommending, but I have noticed that Sony seem to be paying the company to cut back on DS advertising and putting pointless PS2 bundles out instead..... bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

monument wrote:

having a bad day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

monument wrote:

poor misguided fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's not the politics board monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

monument wrote:

Explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Tesco rumour would be interesting indeed. I don't think they would sell computer games exclusively however through the old GAME outlets. They are seeminglin planning on making a massive push in launching Non-Food stores throughout the UK and they intend to sell every electronics equipment and all media in these stores..

Sico wrote:
    Explain why?

April fools, no, only messing… the threat does actually sound too heavy handed at second glance… anyway at the time I wrote it, I was under the wrong impression that the article linked to below was word-for-word the same as the first post on this thread. But they are still very close…

evad_lhorg, did you write it yourself / what's your source?

Bold text from http://gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=7714
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    UK retail outlet GAME has announced that they are in preliminary negotiations with an unnamed company, as shares of the company hit a 52-week high on the London Stock Exchange this morning.

Leading UK videogame retail chain GAME Group has revealed that it is currently in preliminary negotiations with a possible buyer, as shares in the company hit a 52 week high on the London Stock Exchange this morning.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    A spokesperson for the retailer said GAME"is in discussions which may or may not lead to an offer for the company." They did not name who they were, but rumours have been flying that US companies GameStop and Electronics Boutique may be interested.

In a short statement issued to the London financial markets, GAME Group confirmed that it "is in discussions which may or may not lead to an offer for the company," but did not name the suitor - or suitors - who have approached the firm.

Two obvious candidates, however, are US giants Electronics Boutique and GameStop, both of which have made clear their intentions to expand rapidly in the European market in the coming years.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    GameStop have recently unveiled their plans to open 35 stores in the UK this year, after acquiring GameZone. This information comes after some good news for GAME, as their stock has been rising over the last few days, and reached a high this morning.

GameStop recently revealed plans to open 35 stores in the UK over the coming year, building on its first move into the British Isles with the acquisition of Irish chain GameZone, while Electronics Boutique has so far steered clear of the lucrative UK market but is pursuing an aggressive expansion policy on the continent...

Today's announcement came as GAME's stock rose to a 52 week high on the London Stock Exchange, building on significant gains over the past few days with an additional 4.5 per cent rise, bringing the share price to 80 pence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*curls invisible beard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

*fondles invisible breasts*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

*strokes actual beard*

*runs in fear from bearded guy*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

*plucks a single pube*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

SyxPak wrote:
    *plucks a single pube*
    Does that mean that you finally shaved off that silly beard? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

*takes stupid comment and repeats till entire forum gets pissed off*

anyways, I hope game doesnt go, it does have the best selection of games I've seen...

Ditto, I'd like to keep my job dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

lol, awww
    Game is also a cool looking place to work, much better than my last job in TK MAXX *shudders*
    is the job any good?

Not too bad. Worst part is dealing with all the little skangers that seem to live in the Square. *shakes fist* Money's ok, and staff discount is soooo handy.

• Advertisement

It’s not like the possible buyer would just close down all the stores. But if it is Game Stop, any Game shops near current GS shops could possible be in danger of closing - I suppose it depends on a lot.

CrazyTalk wrote:
    lol, awww
    Game is also a cool looking place to work, much better than my last job in TK MAXX *shudders*
    is the job any good?
    COOOL I never met anyone who actually worked in TKMaXX!!!

I suppose they pay ye to mess up the place, and generally throw clothes all over the place:p

Advertisement