Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new license plates

Options
  • 01-04-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My car is due its nct this month. I need to get new license plates for it. Can you get these madeup in a garage or is there somewhere special I need to get them.

I'm working in dun laoghaire, anyone know of anywhere local i can get them?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

podgeen wrote:
    Hi there,

My car is due its nct this month. I need to get new license plates for it. Can you get these madeup in a garage or is there somewhere special I need to get them.

I'm working in dun laoghaire, anyone know of anywhere local i can get them?
    cheers.

J & S Auto Parts on York Road 01 2806514

They'll do custom and normal plates. Make sure you have Baile Atha Cliath on your reg (if it is a dublin reg)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most motor factors make number plates but prices can vary. Also you could try these guys:

http://www.fancyplates.com

They do standard plates as well as the boy racer type. They are based in the North so the high exchange rate might make them expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

In my experience, the best place to get correctly-made (metal embossed) plates, is any of the Merlin (Nissan) garages (formerly Windsor garages).

The plates are top quality, digit's properly spaced and the price is resonable.

Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Why do you need new plates?
    If it's because of the recent changes you can buy transfer sets to modify your older plates.

"recent changes"

Can you elaborate please ?

"transfer sets"

Where can these be purchased ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

or just do what i did to pass the test, take the plates off, use a ruler and pencil to stencil out the letters, got a black permanent marker and colour them in

... and yes I know I'm a cheap b@stard, but it worked!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You actually don't need to remove the illegal plates - apparently if you sellotape the legal ones on they will pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I meant take them off to colour on the name of the county and then put them back on, hence not having to shell out for new plates...

kbannon wrote:
    You actually don't need to remove the illegal plates - apparently if you sellotape the legal ones on they will pass!

Could be a problem about 'plate insecure attachment to vehicle' by doing this.

I know some who have done this (turned out they all didn't need to anyway as the cars were older than the regs stipulate)! They just taped the new plate over the old ones!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    I know some who have done this (turned out they all didn't need to anyway as the cars were older than the regs stipulate)! They just taped the new plate over the old ones!

Yes, if a vehicle was first registered in Ireland before Dec 1990, euro plates are not necessary (i.e. it's original plates will (usually!) suffice).

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You can get plates made up in Ashgrove AutoParts off Kill Avenue.

Cal.

Silvera wrote:
    Yes, if a vehicle was first registered in Ireland before Dec 1990, euro plates are not necessary (i.e. it's original plates will (usually!) suffice).
    I know that but apparently the NCTS testers didn't, and failed people over them!
    Anyway, the taped-on plates passed!

kbannon wrote:
    I know that but apparently the NCTS testers didn't, and failed people over them!

They musn't read their own manual ! :D

Advertisement