Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a new car battery: any advice?

Options
  • 01-04-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I think my car battery is on its last legs. My present battery is an Exide conventional type which hasn't given great service and is about done-for after 3 years. I've tried everything from frequent overnight "smart-charging" to adding EDTA and "Bat-aid" to the cells. The car is a 1.8 L petrol Mitsubishi Space Wagon.

I've been looking around a little in Galway City at what's available in a 60 Amp-hour size recommended for my car. There is a wide variety of prices. Some are about €65 but I don't see a manufacturer's label on the battery and that makes me a little nervous. Another made by Varta costs about €125 and is a low- or no-maintenance type. A motor factor showed me a battery made by Marathon for €85. This battery is supposedly made in Ireland and is 73 Amp-hour capacity. It didn't look bigger than my present 60 Amp-hour battery, and instead of having individual cell caps it had two long snap-on covers for six cells at a time.

I expect to be selling the car in about 18 months, so don't need extra long life, but I want reliability.

Any comments on all this (especially about the Marathon, "made in Ireland" battery)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would get the one for €65 or €85. Most batteries come with a 12 month warrenty but last longer so if your only keeping the car for 18 months this should do you fine. My father's previous car was 5 years old and still had the original battery running in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

if the battery never performed well from new it may not be the battery, You could have a parasitic drain from the cars electrics. Or a faulty charging system. If you have a second car which starts ok try swapping the batteries for a while. Short journeys, and long standing times will shorten any battery's life. most battery's should last at least four years.

Advertisement