Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e V Cat6

Options
  • 01-04-2005 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've spent some time trying to find the fundamental differences (in english) between the two, but I seem to be drawing blanks. Can anyone help me out. Specs aside I just really want to know the speed differences etc.

Both support Gigabit Ethernet, true, but I heard that Cat5e requires compression on the packets to achieve this. I think this sounds really odd, as the switch would have to detect the cable type and then compress the data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Cat6 handles crosstalk better, with an improved and slightyl smaller conducter. Cat5e is rated at 350m distance and cat6 is around 500 i think(cat6e around 1000)

I think 3/4's of new installations use cat6

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CAT5 can support Gigabit (eg: 100MHz over all 4 pairs ?)
    CAT5e is bog standard at this stage - allows more an extra patch cable in the link (350MHz ?)

CAT6 needs proper termination, link cables, sockets and network cards to achieve the benefits above cat5e - an electrician won't know how many extra twists you need to compensate for the straight throughness of the socket and plugs.

CAT6a is out already

Distances are down to the Network card - if you use 10Base1 or Phone you can get over a kilometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

ok.....

I have my house wired with cat6 cable and I'm getting this switch

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE991180&productID=112619

I was going to just put cat5e terminators on the ends of the cables, to keep cost down but allow for future upgrading the terminators to cat6 at a later stage.

What would people recommend I do? Spend the extra cash now and to cat6 properly or go with cat5e which supports gigabit anyway?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To future proof you need to leave cable runs with drawstrings and no tight bends , curves as gentle as possible so you can pull through fibre or whatever later on.

not sure what the building regs are on using 20/25mm PVC piping behind walls in houses seeing as how low halon cables are what you should use.

Advertisement