Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT with chip on w'screen

Options
  • 01-04-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Typical! my NCT is on tuesday and i'm just after getting a chip on windscreen.

Is this something they would fail you on? The chip is on the drivers side and my insurance has no windscreen cover

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Typical! my NCT is on tuesday and i'm just after getting a chip on windscreen.

Is this something they would fail you on? The chip is on the drivers side and my insurance has no windscreen cover

afaik you will fail if its a crack or if its a chip that will interfere with the drivers vision of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i think u can repair it with a kit if its only a chip and not a crack. buy the kit in halfords for 15 euro but ring first, i bought one b4 from texas homecare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It depends on where it is.

The criteria are a little like the dead pixels on an LCD monitor you can get away with more around the edges and several smaller blemishes but a cluster of them directly in front of the driver field of vision or a very large crack is a show stopper.

IIRC
    The strictest area is where the drivers wipers clean
    next the passengers wiper
    lastly the area that the wipers don't clean

Since it's only a visual inspection there should not be a recharge fee to do the test again.

BTW:
    NCT manual for Cars €6:35
    There is another one a tenner for van's or psv's or something.
    they take VISA and can post it out

Government Publications Sales Office
    Sun Alliance House
    Molesworth Street
    Dublin 2

Tel: (01) 647 6879
    when you get throught to the OPW ask to get transferred to the
    Government Publications Sales Office

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

cheers lads!

Might see if i can get it repaired, It's in the area where the wipers clean on the driver side so i'll have to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've not looked at my insurance policy in detail on this, but if you have windscreen cover you may want to look into whether you can get the chip repaired for free. I've had a few of these done in the past, although it wasn't in Ireland. They won't touch it though (or at least they shouldn't!) if it's within your direct field of view.

One thing to do is to make sure no dirt gets into the hole in the meantime. Cover it with a small piece of sticky tape until you get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I had a smoked cod on my windscreen before the nct test, one pass of the wipers got it off so a chip should be no problem!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not funny.

man I wrote it and i'm still laughing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stratos wrote:
    man I wrote it and i'm still laughing.
    you're the sole one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Made me laugh - a little.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Well I gave it a shot !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This whole chip on windscreen has me thinking... I have a little chip on the windscreen but its not really in my line of sight of the road.. may take a pic later for all you guys to inspect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I also have a small chip on my windscreen, it happened a few months ago but its so small I havnt noticed. My NCT is in June.

I do have windscreen cover, but just never bothered to get them out to do it. Do I just ring them up and tell them I need it done and then they just come out and fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Mine failed de to a small crack in the windscreen and twas nowhere near my line of vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

All will be revealed in this document:
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/5815-0.pdf

The section on windscreen damage is chapter 10

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I do have windscreen cover, but just never bothered to get them out to do it. Do I just ring them up and tell them I need it done and then they just come out and fix it?

If it needs doing at all, AFAIK you take it to the replacment centre and they then bill the insurance company.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I just got mine done, there was 2 small chips on the windscreen at the base of it. Apparently it is an automatic failure and if there's more than one chip it cannot be sealed in so whole thing has to be replaced. (it was a heated windscreen in a mondeo as well)

Am glad I got windscreen cover included!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The car passed with the chip in the windscreen, so i'm a happy chappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Debyaka

stratos wrote:
    I had a smoked cod on my windscreen before the nct test, one pass of the wipers got it off so a chip should be no problem!!!!!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I use vineger to clean my windscreen. It goes well with the chips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement