Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a Tiff to postscript with J2ME

Options
  • 01-04-2005 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I am developing a midlet that will run on the CDLC platform. It will be deployed to a Ricoh scanner that is running on an embedded port of the FreeBSD OS.
    When a page is scanned a Tiff is created in memory which I can access through the Ricoh Java SDK, there are a number of operations that I need to perform on this Tiff through the Ricoh SDK, then I need to convert it to Postscript for printing on the same machine. Unfortunately, the Ricoh SDK for the scanner does not yet have the functionality to convert from Tiff to Postscript and they do not expect to have it for at least another six months, so can anybody suggest a method to perform this conversion in J2ME?

It may also be possible to perform the conversion using a native BSD tool such as tiff2ps, but I don't know yet if that will work on an embedded platform.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Probably not doable.

Used postscript years ago and afair you could try sending a binary stream to the postscript printer.

But afaik J2ME does not have printer functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I don't know how this would (or even could) be done in Java, but I'd suggest convert the TIFF to bitmaps and embed them in the postscript. There's probably stuff in the Ghostscript libabries you could use?

Advertisement