Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT IOL Contract

• 01-04-2005 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Mr. Billpayer (aka Dad) is dying to switch to Smart (and their BB package), but we are now on EsatBT IOL BB

My question is:
    Is there a minimum contract length with Esat for broadband?

(and if so, how long is it)
    (and also, what is the penalty for breach of that condition)

Thanks in advance,
    Snapscan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

i believe its a year and wud assume that if u dont keep it for the year u have to pay remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i had a contract with them from november 2003, which they kind of broke by offering us an upgraded service. it used to be e47 a month for broadband, they downgraded this service to e40 per month, and introduced a new service with double the data transfer limit and a better contention ratio. also after one year of the plus service, you own your modem, unlike the standard service.
    these two new services came into affect around march/april 2004, as i have a letter here marked 23rd march from them telling us about the change.
    im not sure when the 1 year contract is up for me, but its definately finished after april, get my free modem :D so it should be finished after april for everyone else that received that letter.

if you happen to be one of those people, you should have received the letter at that time, if not, i dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You actually think a Zyxel 630-11 is worth owning? :D
    My ping (first hop) reduced by a third when I replaced it with a Creative 8133U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Esat BT gave me a ZyXEL 623 a month ago.
    I assume they have been giving this out fr a year...Y/N???

Its a fine DSL/Router and when combined with a switch is perfectly adequate with a mini home network.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

About the contract, I started mine in early March 04, and obviously it was up in early March 05 at which point I was about to switch to Smart. then the new packages were announced so I figured I'd stay with IOL (same speed, only paying 39.95 with the phone & net deal). So does it work that I have automatically signed to another year because I didn't end my "partnetship" with them after this year, or will they continue to charge me on a month by month basis until I tell them otherwise?

If rumours of the wireless eircom modem are true, I wonder if esat will do the same and let me avail of it if/when I sign up for another year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

diarmo wrote:
    Esat BT gave me a ZyXEL 623 a month ago.
    I assume they have been giving this out fr a year...Y/N??
    IOLBB changed from 630-11 to 623R in late December 2003. I think the first Boards mention is here. Stevenk would have a 630-11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

flogen wrote:
    If rumours of the wireless eircom modem are true, I wonder if esat will do the same and let me avail of it if/when I sign up for another year :D

I doubt they will give you a new modem, your not signing up for another year your paying month by month after 12 months you can cancel it at any time, those offers are only for new customers so unless you cancel your bb and re order it youll not get the modem and that would probably take 2 months with you offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Kristok wrote:
    I doubt they will give you a new modem, your not signing up for another year your paying month by month after 12 months you can cancel it at any time, those offers are only for new customers so unless you cancel your bb and re order it youll not get the modem and that would probably take 2 months with you offline.
    Yeah, I think this is unlikely aswell.
    I was upgraded to the Plus package... I'm still using my Zyxel 630-11 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Yeah, I think this is unlikely aswell.
    I was upgraded to the Plus package... I'm still using my Zyxel 630-11 :mad:
    Plenty of complaining got me TWO 623's ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hey snowbat, thats pretty interesting about the ping reduction, i have a 3com gateway and dlink modem must try them out instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Snapscan, phone esat and ask, or go and look for T&Cs on their website. It's unlikely you'll get any definitive answer here.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement