Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs bill

Options
  • 01-04-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

I bought an item of clothing for around $40 from the US aboput three months ago and got it delivered etc. Now three months later I get a letter from Fed telling me there's a customs charge of €37, and to send back the money on the enclosed form etc. Seems a bit high given the cost of the item, and also getting the letter three months late is a bit strange...is this usual? do I really need to pay it or will they keep soming after me for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

Next time tell them to send via mail and in description field have them fill it out as gift.

Or have someone in US buy it and do the same as above when shipping it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They won't mark it as a gift, you're wasting your time.
    I got a bill from Fed Ex for t-shirts I bought. I never paid it. I got the bill in January 2004. Don't pay it and see if they come back to you. Fed Ex charge you to process this as well as customs charging you on the total cost, including shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

FX Meister wrote:
    They won't mark it as a gift, you're wasting your time.
    I got a bill from Fed Ex for t-shirts I bought. I never paid it. I got the bill in January 2004. Don't pay it and see if they come back to you. Fed Ex charge you to process this as well as customs charging you on the total cost, including shipping.

Who won't mark it as a gift? I ship all the time to Britian, Ireland, Canada Australia and if some asks me to do that I will. Although if the package is fairly large they same get suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Where do you work paulcr? A lot of places won't do what you ask and often have certain shipping carriers and won't change just because you don't want to pay your tax.

Advertisement