Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low frequency hum

• 01-04-2005 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I think I am going mad.

For the past two months on and off and including tonight I can hear a resonating hum, its a low frequency sound as no matter how loud the TV is I can still hear it.

I thought it was the fridge vibrating off of the wall but after carrying out an experiment I turned off the house power and the hum still hummed!

It seems to be constant for about 20 mins and then stops for 5 seconds before starting again.

I am living in the Raheen/Dooradoyle area quite close to the Industrial estate.

If anyone else lives around here can you mute your TV,Sit in Silence and listen., Also it is stronger in certain parts of the house, upstairs is quite strong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

probably noise from one of the factories in the estate. a couple of new ones have opened in the estate in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The whistling bridge is back! :D

actually i miss the whistleing bridge. it was something which was unique to limerick, but things that are unique to limerick have been messed about with now no more whistling bridge and tates clock sounds loke someone beating pots and pans together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Its not the bussiness park... I had the same problem with the loudspeaker on my phone!!! I got really worried about emmissions. But it stopped when it ran the battery out!!! Have u tried leaving it uplugeed for a while and then plugging it in to see???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

Its not the bussiness park... I had the same problem with the loudspeaker on my phone!!! I got really worried about emmissions. But it stopped when it ran the battery out!!! Have u tried leaving it uplugeed for a while and then plugging it in to see???

I shut down the power from the mains no effect.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

probably coming from the research section in Dell ...you don't think they make all those profits from selling PC's do you ?......

formatman wrote:
    probably coming from the research section in Dell ...you don't think they make all those profits from selling PC's do you ?......

US Government testing in Limerick now thats interesting.

I have just found this website

http://www.earthpulse.com/science/taoshum.html

I feel like some sort of Lunatic ( maybe i am )

Did you find out what it actually was because i doubt it was the business park becuase well nothing that would interfere with the surounding area goes on in there!

Its just warehouses and offices!

Did you find out what it actually was because i doubt it was the business park becuase well nothing that would interfere with the surounding area goes on in there!

Its just warehouses and offices!

No I havent I have started to record dates and times.

It has just started again 23:05 14/04/05.

Last time was 06/04/05 Started at 22:00 until 22:50 this is the first time I recorded

If anyone is is in the Churchill Meadows, Glencairin or ballycummin area can the mute there TV and listen, try walking around the house.

It sounds like a Fridge vibration but stronger it stops randomly for 3 seconds and starts again.

Thanks

it stopped at 00:30

• Advertisement

can you hear it outside the house.

and to the person who said that theres nothing only warehouses in Raheen industrial estate, you couldnt be further from wrong. There are numerous factories out there including Dell (emf 1 and emf3) Analog, Sercom, , Banta,

im not sure if AST is still there, I think they are though.

although none of these companies would in my opinion generate ehnough noise to travel any great distance.

can you hear it outside the house.QUOTE]

Only when listening out my bedroom window.

I can see the roof of Irish express Cargo from there.

I wonder does anybody know if they have some sort of generator or machinery that could emit this noise.

It started again at 23:00 last night 15/04 and lasted until about 01:00.

No noise tonight

Well because of the lack of industrial business going on in there they had to rename it the raheen business park!

Dell is an essembley plant not an industrial, banta (dont they just deliver for Dell ; my bro worked there before and i'm almost certain of it)!

alot of machines in both making alot of noise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well because of the lack of industrial business going on in there they had to rename it the raheen business park!

Dell is an essembley plant not an industrial, banta (dont they just deliver for Dell ; my bro worked there before and i'm almost certain of it)!

Banta pack the documentation, software cd-roms, etc that are shipped with a PC or notebook from Dell.

Also the Regional Hospital is near by, maybe it could be coming from there?

actually passed a faulty streetlight and it was giving off a sort of buzzing noise, you might have a faulty streetlight outside your house??

actually passed a faulty streetlight and it was giving off a sort of buzzing noise, you might have a faulty streetlight outside your house??

Cheers billy I live in extended dooradoyle,therefore I am used to the humming streetlights pylons etc, alas it is not that, Our ones hum only while raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Was going to suggest mains hum.... but you've eliminated that! Fluorescent tubes, bulbs have been known to do this as well...

You could also consider if there are factories around you. Many factories run backup Jennies at night. These things could rattle the teeth out of your head :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 giacomo

Hello Sillild, Since moving to a quiet rural location six years ago (no industry for miles around) I've been tormented by a low frequency (electric magnetic?) hum. I've no idea what's causing it. There are many reports from other countries of the same phenomenon; UK (see Bristol hum), Largs, Taos, Kokomo, Germany (Brummton), Switzerland, Austria, Scandinavia etc. A small percentage of people are affected, some very badly (depending on level of sensitivity). Sleep deprivation is the least of the symptoms. Appeals to relevant authorities i.e. Dept. of the Environment, EPA, environmental section of the local co. council have been futile.

Advertisement