Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Rip Off

• 01-04-2005 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

My trial ended with IOL at the end of January. I got a bill out this week from them for €245. When I rang them I was on hold for 1h 20min. When I finaly got through to someone I was informed that I had to pay a €74 self install fee. I argued my point that I had not been told about this and was immedietly and repeatedly told "We would not hide this" the point I made was that I did not say they were hiding it but that I had not been informed. I then told them that I phoned into them at the end of my trial and was told that a contract would be sent out to me which I subsequently never recived, so therefor as far as I was concerned I had no contract with them. I was also told that eventhough I had no signed contract, I had a verbel contract and would be liable for a €150 disconnection fee (which I had not been told about either) if I wanted to have the service stopped. :confused: This all befor I have even paid a cent to them. Has anybody else experienced this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Did you send the modem back? I got a letter "confirming" direct debit details and a note that they would be talking the first payment for the service I cancalled a month and a half ago! Apparently, there is some backlog in logging modem returns.

Did you know that you have to confirm your cancellation in writing? Although you do not sign a contract, the terms that you agree when you give over your bank details are that unless you cancel, you are assumed to be entering a 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

mcummins2 wrote:
    My trial ended with IOL at the end of January. I got a bill out this week from them for €245. When I rang them I was on hold for 1h 20min. When I finaly got through to someone I was informed that I had to pay a €74 self install fee. I argued my point that I had not been told about this and was immedietly and repeatedly told "We would not hide this" the point I made was that I did not say they were hiding it but that I had not been informed. I then told them that I phoned into them at the end of my trial and was told that a contract would be sent out to me which I subsequently never recived, so therefor as far as I was concerned I had no contract with them. I was also told that eventhough I had no signed contract, I had a verbel contract and would be liable for a €150 disconnection fee (which I had not been told about either) if I wanted to have the service stopped. :confused: This all befor I have even paid a cent to them. Has anybody else experienced this?

Could you break down your bill mcummins2 as I find it difficult to work out how you can owe them €245 so quickly even though you have ben a "customer" of theirs for only 2months???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mcummins2

Trouble is I cant figure out the bill. I think it is for the two months gone and two months in advance. But that does not make sense either as that works out at €42 per month and I am suppoused to be on BB not BB+

In answer to the first question, I did want to keep the service but found it confuseing that they wanted me to pay for self installing my modem. They told me this was a charge for setting up the connection from the exchange but they actualy call it a "Self install charge" I am going to have to pay it any way to keep the srevice but it makes me mad when they do not explain themselves properly and we end up paying for it!"£$%$£""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

My trial expired on 24th March.

I mailed them in late Feb advising that I was cancelling and got the address to return the modem to.

I dropped it into them on the 22nd and got a mail from them on Thursday saying that my order had been filled i.e. closed.

Checked my a/c status when I saw this thread and sure enough, as expected, nothing owing and my order cancelled.

All-in-all a smooth enough process. :D

Me thinks ye didn't return the modem or advise them that ye wanted to cancel. The way these freebies work is that you need to inform them that you wish to cancel the service otherwise you start getting hit for self-install and monthly charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

€90 = Self Install Charge
    €39 = Monthly Rental

1(Self Install Charge) + 4(Monthly Rental)
    = €90 + €156
    = €246

2 months used plus 2 months in advance.

===========================================

Engineer install charge €190
    Self Install Charge €90

The Actual Installations in your house according to EsatBT would be:
    190-90 = €100

The €90 charge is for a technician(Engineers dont play with wires) to reconnect your line to the esatBT network which would involve forms to be filled out...etc...

===========================================

It appears confusing...but its designed to be that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mcummins2

Understand now.

CGF Bud I did say I want to keep the service but that I could not understand the self install charge as it had not been explained to me. I had made up my mind to keep the service in January but the Self Install Charge got me going and the whole thing of been toild by them that they were sending a contract to me but I never got it.

Thanks to all. Mod please close.

Advertisement