Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forever War (by Joe Haldeman)

Options
  • 01-04-2005 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Just posted a review of this for anyone who is interested...

http://www.avalon5.com/index.php/archives/53

Gonna start in on the next two (related) books as well and see how they go.

c0y0te

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gotta love Haldeman- Forever Peace is my personal favourite.
    Btw- would you like to add to the sticky at the top on where to buy?
    I ended up ordering my set from the US- a bit ridiculous......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

tbh - I got mine in town the 'old fashioned way' :)

I do get books online when it suits me, but when I get the bit between my teeth and I *have* to have a particular book right then, I prefer the fun of wandering through a book shop and finding it so that I can read it that night, rather than waiting on a postal from amazon or play.

Coyote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, a cracking book, bought it a couple of years ago and its one of the classics of my collection, if you like the future war scenario then buy Starship troopers, very different from the movie, presents a grunts eye view of interstellar conflict, good stuff, maybe a dodgy political subtext though, you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Forever War was in a sense,Haldeman's response to Starship Troopers. Heinlein was forced to retire from the US Navy because of a heart defect so he never saw action. He had this romantic idea of war, or at least, service. (In the book Starship Troopers, there is no such thing as a medical discharge. If you want to remain in the service that is your right and it is up to the service to find a job for you to do.) Haldeman, actually served in Vietnam so his vision of war is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Almost finished "Forever Peace" now and it's been tough going... the writing style on this one is really weird, constantly shifting the narrative between first person and third person, past and present tense. I find it distracting to say the least.

Then of couse I've got "Forever Free" to read next :)

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I adored the series - my best friend gave me "The Forever War" as a birthday present one year when he was a student as it was his favorite book - I read it at the time to get greater insight into my friend but instantly fell in love with it...sometimes I still read it to remind me of my best friend who is in the UK at the moment but also it feels like home. I have since bought several more of his books, he is a great writer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I very much enjoyed the Forever War. But it surprises me that there are sequels as I though the story pretty much rapped up in an excellent ending.
    It makes a change from my usual diet of David Weber mega-space armadas

Advertisement