Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards for students

Options
  • 02-04-2005 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Just wondering, do any banks give out credit cards to students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

AIB give out a student mastercard with €600 limit. Very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Yeah I'd recommend the AIB one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Yeah I've the AIB student credit card 4 years now and its great. I bank online and get the option to increase my max value on it every 6 months and its now up to over 1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You do have to be 18 though...
    Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

You do have to be 18 though...
    Right?

17 if you get a parent to go guarantor IIRC, although it says 18 on the website.

• Advertisement

*Ears prick up*

How do I do this exactly? Do I just walk into the bank with papa and say credit card please!

You can do it one of two ways, the first being giving their student\graduate line a call. The number is on the website but I'd imagine they only deal with the more routine stuff. Try them first anyway, it's handier this way.

The second would be to pick up an application form in the branch and fill it in and send the application through them. In either case you'll need proof of identity and proof of residence. If your dad knows someone in your local branch then this is probably the easier option.

Once your app is in the system though you can just ring their credit card centre up to check the status. Ask them for your app number the first time so you can give them it next time you ring up and save them searching for it. I think it takes about 3 weeks or so but if you go the branch route you can ask them to mark it as urgent.

I'm not 100% if i'm right on the 17 thing, it was the case when I had to check it out - a long time ago!

Just a warning though, using a credit card is a very pain free way of shopping an it's easy to get yourself in trouble with it so use it responsibly.

If you've any other questions let me know.

HTH,

That great Outshined.
    I know all about the risks of CCs, - I know my parents CC number by heart, and use it when necessary, and always pay them in full when the bill comes along - it wouldn't be very different. Is there any chance you could give me a source on the 17 thing - just if it comes to it.
    And finally, do all banks offer this service?

Thanks again,
    Snapscan

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can you get a credit card from them if you're over 18 but still in secondary school?

i saw their application form and they ask what college you attend so i'm guessing that's a no?

And both AIB and BOI have a prerequisite to be 18 on the site...

You've no idea how handy a CC would be for me - no more queues in UGC and Internet Shopping galore!

If AIB and BOI refuse, none of the other banks will say yes. EBS, NIB, Ulster - all way too conservative

• Advertisement

That great Outshined.
    I know all about the risks of CCs, - I know my parents CC number by heart, and use it when necessary, and always pay them in full when the bill comes along - it wouldn't be very different. Is there any chance you could give me a source on the 17 thing - just if it comes to it.
    And finally, do all banks offer this service?

Thanks again,
    Snapscan

Ah, I just had to get that warning in there - If only I took my own advice :D .
    I'm not sure if I still have anything official stating the 17 thing, like I say it was a few years ago. I'll have a look around for it tomorrow. I'm not sure if all banks do (did) it, it was AIB I was talking about.

Thats great Outshined. Cheers again

Find any info on it perchance?

No, sorry.

I gave them a call though and you can be an Authorised user at 17 though but have to wait till 18 for a card in your own right. Not what you wanted to hear i'm afraid.

Never mind. I'll try and see anyway.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Snapscan

Advertisement