Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another question...

Options
  • 02-04-2005 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Sorry, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to post such things :confused: .

Does boards.ie not have a set of specific rules regarding behaviour that might get one banned, etc.? I can't find any "CoC" or the like anywhere. If there is such a thing, would anyone mind telling me where I can read it?

EDIT: I mean beyond that little thing when you register to join.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The forum charters for one.

What's a CoC?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

CoC = Code of Conduct... a bit like a Terms of Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Do the charters not count?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The Charters at the top of [just about] every forum will give you guidelines. Besides that I think its just plain basic common sence for the rest of the site. Check out the NewbieFAQ forum, might be something else in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Aizuchi, aizuchi.

But what about latent xenophobia and (to a lesser extent) racism? Are they not worthy of a banning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I think it's assumed most people have the common sense not to post that malarky (sometimes wrongly of course...)

Do you really need to be told not to write racist posts?

Yes, I wouldn't do that anyway, regardless of any rules. I was thinking more about certain other people who consistantly get away with such things. (*COUGH, COUGH* Teneka!)

• Advertisement

I was thinking more about certain other people who consistantly get away with such things.

Most of those sorts get panned pretty quickly. I don't think Teneka or however his name is formatted has been around for a while (certainly not on Politics, where he did troll a bit)

Well, it's really xenophobia more than any outright racism so far. Though the apparent fact that he/she/it is a serious member of www.stormfront.org would indicate worse. It can be seen here, and, more extensively, here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I think if they did have an official form CoC they'd adhere to it when banning people and that would afford less flexibility.

Hmmm... I guess so. But it also leaves us common folk in less certainty about whether to report certain things.

But it also leaves us common folk in less certainty about whether to report certain things.

Not really. Just report it anyway - if you're right, well and good the Mods/Admins will sort it. If it's not a problem in the eyes of the Mods/Admins, put the user on ignore and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Being racist is a point of view too.

I suppose, but the rule that poeple have a right to their points of view assumes that people aren't completely ignorant and don't have a very closed-minded view of things that they are so very wrong about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And who decides what is wrong?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh I only read a few pages from the second link, it may have gone down hill after that but from what I saw he/she had a valid topic for discussion. His/her opinion may be distastefull to many of us but it's still a valid opinion, and personally I'm happy to see him/her express it. He/she didn't seem to be inciting any form of illegal actions which is where I think the line should be drawn. It's a bit of a blurry line though which is probably why it's not written down, leaving mods and admins the ability to use their judgement and take each case individually. If people start getting banned for having distastefull opinions, then who decides what is ok and what isn't ? Many people think the theory of evolution is pretty distastefull, imagine getting banned for commenting on that.

• Advertisement

Well, to the best of my knowledge not all evolutionists are hate-filled monsters ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, it's really xenophobia more than any outright racism so far. Though the apparent fact that he/she/it is a serious member of www.stormfront.org would indicate worse. It can be seen here, and, more extensively, here.

Ah, must every neo-NAZI group use a modified cross? Just once, I'd like to see some effort put into the website of a mindless bigot; that one's just tired old nonsense about Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Sangre wrote:
    And who decides what is wrong?

Most sensible, thinking people would consider it wrong to demean people solely on the basis of their race, religion, gender, sexuality, 13th rib status etc....

Advertisement