Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn you, CTYI!

Options
  • 02-04-2005 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

They won't let me do it this year, because I am about six weeks too old! Seriously. I wanted to do ... a certain course ... but I am turning 17 on 30 May. They say I might only be able to do it if there is room that particular course left.

What a jip!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

hmmm, damning it is really gonna get you that place! Generally (I think) people who apply to do sesh 2 and turn 17 halfway through session 1 are also not accepted for session 2.. Believe in destiny and thou shalt have yours... I did 3 sessions, turned 17 on May 28th, and didn't even bother applying cuz I knew I wouldn't get it... That's life, you just gotta accept that you're a nevermore and enjoy the lifestyle (there's no pension though...)

I guess part of it was that I knew it was gonna be my last year... I take it you thought you'd squeeze in one more?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

They won't let me do it this year, because I am about six weeks too old! ..................................

What a jip!

If they started making exceptions for a 6 week gap then the people who are JUST 7 weeks too old would be back, then the people who are JUST 8 weeks too old.....

See where I'm going with this?

To be honest it's good of them to even allow you back if there are spaces. Really you ought to count your blessings they're not applying the rules with ruthlessness this time round instead of whining that you MIGHT not be let back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

They've made bigger exceptions in the past, as far as I remember. (Wouldn't hold my breathe though. New administration. New iron fist and new overlord.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Aww DAMN IT. I'm so angry. They're not going to let em back when I'm 17! I'll only be freakin' 9 months too old. Christ those idiots! I hate them all! And I hate all of you too. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The biggest exception I remember was when someone who turned 17 in session 1 was allowed to do session 2... I'm really not that surprised they wouldn't allow you back. It probably is a bit annoying for you though. you can always visit - I know it's not the same, but you can sneak in at the weekends. I managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Well I guess the subject line was a bit harsh. It was really meant to be just a joke. I'm quite optimistic about being allowed to do the course if there's room left anyway, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

get over it.... there's a reason why its 16and under.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Come live under Steph's sink with Marianne and me, it'll be great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well I turn 17 on June 20th so there's a slight chance I'll be able to bleed a fifth year out of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

jono087 wrote:
    get over it.... there's a reason why its 16and under.....
    It might be better if it was 13-17. That way the younger ones are at least in their teens before they get corrupted by the older ones!
    On the other hand if it was that way there'd be people going to CTYI and then going to college straight after (I turn 17 just before my Leving Cert.) Plus if you went as a 17yr old and had your b-day during it you could have alcohol on campus.
    Would having it 13-17 be better? Worse? I'm going into last year so right now I'm thinking better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

What's wrong with being corrupted at twelve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Or indeed eleven for that matter *has eleven year old sister on her way to being fully corrupted* A year at ctyi ought to do the trick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

i turned 17 three days before i went last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Chunk

Turning 17 during session 2 - jealous? you're jealous.

JenLorigan wrote:
    What's wrong with being corrupted at twelve?
    Nothing I suppose. I was totally corrupt at twelve. But... Gah, i don't know. The only twelve year olds I know are complete twats who do NOT belong anywhere near me or CTYI... Maybe that's it

Chunk wrote:
    Turning 17 during session 2 - jealous? you're jealous.
    I'm not jealous *cracks knuckles*
    Where would you get that idea?? *eye starts twitching*

I'm not jealous *cracks knuckles*
    Where would you get that idea?? *eye starts twitching*

17 now, can't go to ctyi!!! jealous? - i should think not :D

*realises this is a stupid post/simultaneously hangs head in gesture of shame*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

I got screwed over on that rule too... I mean, I'll only be 20 in June, I wouldn't be THAT much older that everyone else, but they just won't let me come back. :(

How does one become an RA??? Besides applying. Is there any annoying details in getting the job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

You gotta be 18, and you gotta have finished 1st year College (I Think that means be one year out of school, but i'm not sure..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I turn 17 on June 20th so there's a slight chance I'll be able to bleed a fifth year out of them. :)
    You should be ok. I got in for session 1 2001 when I turned 17 on June 24th. I was told only to apply for session 1 though.

"You gotta be 18, and you gotta have finished 1st year College (I Think that means be one year out of school, but i'm not sure..)"

I'm prettty sure that means that you have to have completed one year of college by the time CTYI Session starts, don't think being out of school for a year makes you eligible. Could be wrong though.

Cheers! But, another random question. Is being an RA as fun as being in CTYI? You do kinda miss out on all the activities in the sense that they're desined specifically for the students and obviously not for you... Obviously...
    My point is, is it still fun???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

All the RA's I've talked to said it was brilliant and really worth doing, so I guess so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cheers! But, another random question. Is being an RA as fun as being in CTYI? You do kinda miss out on all the activities in the sense that they're desined specifically for the students and obviously not for you... Obviously...
    My point is, is it still fun???
    Life is what ya make of it, my pedigree chum!

I had much more fun as an RA than as a student, they're not even comparable in my head, being an RA is so much better. It helped that the RAs last year were all really great people though, and that we all got on so well. The antics had will not be forgotten, best six weeks ever! I'm trying to be an RA in CTY America this summer, interview on Tuesday. Wish me luck :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GlitterB

Good Luck man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Hey Irwin have you still got that plants sign?If you don't get it you can just hit them with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

I imagine it's really hard to get the job though, as so many people apply. A lot of people do apply, don't they? Or do they all just say they will, and then not do it?

• Advertisement

i think so..... by all accounts....

Advertisement