Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn you, CTYI!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

You had a good stretch in CTYI but it's time you moved on with your life...Why not just enjoy your three months off?
    I take my hat off to anyone who can do that without looking back...

Well, if I *wore* one I would...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

I agree. It has such a big impact on people that just being able to move on is really hard. Everyone wants more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I take my hat off to anyone who can do that without looking back...

Well, if I *wore* one I would...
    I did that. the year after CTYI was great fun :)

i mean, now i am hoping to go back there to work, but while CTYI changed me, it isnt ME - it didnt make me, it just helped me along. its not the be all and end all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

I don't know what the fallout of this will be but...here goes!

I have moved on.

Yes, CTYI was great, and I wouldn't change my time there for anything but I'm going forward. Life after CTYI DOES exist and I'm living that for the moment with no looking back on it, except as a fond memory.

If someone offered me the chance to be a student at CTYI again, now, I'd turn them down. I've had my time but at some point we all have to move on.

Also, I'm neither clinging to old memories or bitter and twisted like some people past the age limit, which I see as a good thing.

I will say this, letting go wasn't the easiest thing and it took a while but it's not a bad thing at all. It gives you a chance to look outside a smaller scope and to go out into the world without the safety net of "I'll still have CTYI this summer".

To respond to the ACTUAL thread title, not "Damn you, CTYI!" in my opinion but "Thank you, CTYI!". I learned a lot and grew up a lot and good luck to everyone who's only starting off. Have a blast!

For those of you who are too old, get over it and move on. It's nice out here on the other side.

Hehe,

That's two of us Neil, let's see who else joins in and who starts gettin pissed off!

• Advertisement

Funny how both of you, who have moved on from CTYI, are regular posters on a CTYI board....................

makes you think

The thing is - the great thing about it being like that is that i don't have any CTYI friends anymore. i have people who have become close friends, i have friends, and i have aquaintances - none of them are just CTYI friends anymore - i know all of them that bit better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

crash_000 wrote:
    I did that. the year after CTYI was great fun :)

i mean, now i am hoping to go back there to work, but while CTYI changed me, it isnt ME - it didnt make me, it just helped me along. its not the be all and end all :)
    Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

crash_000 wrote:
    but while CTYI changed me, it isnt ME - it didnt make me, it just helped me along. its not the be all and end all :)

i'd have to agree-and yes, i am very aware that i'm going back this year- to a certain extent. i definitely feel that ctyi had a profound effect on me but at the same time, since i first went to ctyi, other things have had profound effects on me, maybe moreso than ctyi and at this stage, i would definitely consider myself to have changed a lot since i first went. i think that, if it were not for the prospect of seeing a few people that i've grown very close to (and they know who they are), i wouldn't be going back for this, my final year. in some ways i'm looking forward to it and in others i'm dreading it a little bit.

Funny how both of you, who have moved on from CTYI, are regular posters on a CTYI board....................

makes you think

Emmet, if you would be so kind as to check my post count, it's in the low 60's.

Now yours is in the 1,100's, nearly 20 times mine. I wouldn't really consider myself a regular poster to be honest.

Ditto on Neils point about people not just being CTYI friends anymore.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=630792

proves itself, they're all in the CTYI forum!

.............and?

There's still only 60 something of them, since July 2002. Thats 0.06 posts per day (according to my profile page) while yours is 1.22 per day.

What exactly are you proving there?

that you haven't moved on from ctyi, if you make posts in a CTYI forum, and only a ctyi forum, i'm not saying there's anything wrong, just that you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

He's got ya there.

I beg to differ. Like I said, CTYI is memories now. I've moved on from it but I'm still allowed look back on it as a memory, as I said in my original post.

Besides, it's a good forum for interesting debate, which is always good fun.

It seems that that's a very unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ois&#237 wrote: »
    Besides, it's a good forum for interesting debate, .
    hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

What a jip!

What's a jip. Seriously, explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I'm not a big fan of all the Ois-bashing that went on!.. It's his choice whether he wants to move on from the actual organisation or not! And just cause he uses this forum to stay in touch with interestingly minded people and/or friends of his that he made there is his choice, and does NOT mean he hasn't moved on!.. We shouldn't judge him just cause we happen to post in other forums on boards, or on other sites altogether... messageboards are just a way to talk to people! It's almost like sitting in a pub!..

I concur with that - hell i'm 3 years out of CTYI at this stage and up until recently i modded these forums (though really that was more because i have a strong loyalty to the forums, as opposed to CTYI) as these forums have given me some great discussions at the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Plunky wrote:
    It's almost like sitting in a pub!..
    hahahahahahaha

Plunky wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of all the Ois-bashing that went on!.. It's his choice whether he wants to move on from the actual organisation or not! And just cause he uses this forum to stay in touch with interestingly minded people and/or friends of his that he made there is his choice, and does NOT mean he hasn't moved on!.. We shouldn't judge him just cause we happen to post in other forums on boards, or on other sites altogether... messageboards are just a way to talk to people! It's almost like sitting in a pub!..
    He couldn't have said that himself, no?

Oh for chrissake liam, of COURSE he could, BUT he wasn't online, I saw the posts and decided to have MY 2 cents. The guy isn't able to express MY opinion in fairness!

muppet.

Sorry I'm not stirrin it, but if you read up Oisin did post what he thought?The only comment after his comment(nearly 20 days ago) that you replied to was whats a jip?I didn't really see why you were posting tbh and I don't think anyone's 'bashing' him as you say.

I hadnt' read the thread in ages, I was replying to your unpopular opinion comment. Forgive me, oh great one* for not checking the dates on every thread!... *of knackerdom

You mean the one that said that the unpopular opinion is this place is a good place for a debate?

Oh jeez forgive me once again for being tired and stressed about my exams and not actually reading your mind all the time.

Liam stop fscking stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

it must be well over a year since i checked in here and still de same conversations...

• Advertisement
Advertisement