Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DW new series episode 2

Options
  • 02-04-2005 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Anyone gonnta check out episode two tomorrow, "The End of the World"? Scary stuff alright. And we got a live re-make of "The Quartermass Experiment" tomorrow on BBC 4.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh I'm definetely gonna check it out. I'm just worried it'll contradict "The Ark" which already said what happened to the last survivors of Earth. Lance Parkin's guide says otherwise too... Heh *throws away nerd hat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Exactly, thats half the fun. Russell T. seems to know his sh1t though.

Did you ever read "Damaged Goods", Davies' Doctor Who novel from several years ago? Good stuff, one of the reasons I had faith that he could do this.

I imagine that he won't stick too closely to old continiuty but will leave the major points intact. Which I guess is okay...

Still the main thing is the episode looks bigger/broader than the pilot. That's a good idea for a follow-up because now that we've introduced the characters, we need to establish more of a template for the show. Looks interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

It's pacing was much better than the first, obviously as we were supposedly now comfortable with the new characters.

oh and the time it's set is 5 million years into the future; the ark was something like the 30th century or so no? besides, with trees evolving into humanoid creatures (very well done btw), it's fair to say this is not some arbitrary point in humanity's future.

how about that bombshell at the end? no idea how to do spoiler space on these boards, but Im expecting some explanation for it, and I think i know who's responsible for it too ;)

how about that bombshell at the end? no idea how to do spoiler space on these boards, but Im expecting some explanation for it, and I think i know who's responsible for it too ;)
    Well I'm guessing
    that it's the Daleks, so that it'll tie in with the episode when the Doc meets them and give them a reason to be his arch-enemy. It's also plausible given the Time Lords predictions in "Genesis of the Daleks". However, I'd love for it to be the Enemy, spawned from Lawrence Mile's BBC arc. I've not read the final BBC EDA book but I think it covers the Gallifrey question.

Bet it'll be Daleks anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought it was class :)

I loved some of the humour like introducing the 60s jukebox as an iPod. Cassandra O'Brien was very good if a little forced at times.

The new Doctor is such a hottie. Not in the conventional sense, but he has a charisma about him. I'd have loved to have seen that tree girl give him a woody :p

What was the buzz with the fans room though? Took him about 10 mins to get through with them moving slowly, then seems to make it look easy walking through them when they're moving quickly. Here's a hint Doctor, she wouldn't have died if you hadn't kept stopping to look back at her.

Did I miss something with regard to the Doctor and the Timelords? Didn't know all the other Timelords were dead. Anyway, was good to see him lose his temper.

The production effects and aliens looked very Farscape style, with the planet being swallowed up scene looking like something right out of Peacekeeper Wars. I wonder if any of the Farscape crew were involved? I know they're in demand lately, with George Lucas signing them up for Episode 3. And they've connections with the BBC.

Those blue aliens looked a bit like a cross between Zhaan from Farscape...

zhaan.jpg

and another alien Ro-na, who appeared in the "look at the princess" trilogy from the second season. That blue alien that Rose met in the corridor was extremely like her in mannerisms:

ep221_img3.jpg

Twas a grand episode, nasty, yet fun. Did anyone catch Quartermass at 0820 on BBC4? It seemed to end early, I think that they feck'd up the special effects, seeing as it was live sci-fi and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All in all not too bad. Already I want to put that sonic screwdriver where the sun doesn't shine, and the "Look I can grin manically" Eccleston appeared once to often for my liking.

There is definite chemistry between Eccleston (who does make a good Doctor) and Piper, and the story was paced well with some humourous touches. The fans scene seemed a bit drawn out, considering that the fix fort he whole situation was a flick of a switch.

BuffyBot wrote:
    All in all not too bad. Already I want to put that sonic screwdriver where the sun doesn't shine.
    Indeed, it may be getting over-played a little. It's overuse was what caused Tom Baker, in one episode, to turn to the screen and in a post-modern style far ahead of its time, say "Even the sonic screwdriver can't get me out of this one!"

They also destroyed the sonic screw-driver in the 5th Doctor story "The Visitation" because it too often encouraged lazy fixes to problems. It was brought back in the books for the new incarnations but I wouldn't mind seeing slightly less use of it.

What happened to that new K-9 show we heard so much about a few years back? Bring back K-9!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Indeed, it may be getting over-played a little. It's overuse was what caused Tom Baker, in one episode, to turn to the screen and in a post-modern style far ahead of its time, say "Even the sonic screwdriver can't get me out of this one!"
    LoL dont remember that but I can picture it.
    Good episode,I'll leave the critique to the more lyrical keyboaders than me.
    This is definitely filling in the gap for me left by BSG :)

foxybrowne wrote:
    What happened to that new K-9 show we heard so much about a few years back? Bring back K-9!
    Argh! K-9 and Company! Eep! Don't even joke about bringing that back - you are joking right? How about making it really horrid though, by having all three K-9s meet up and have wacky adventures (the ones left with Sarah Jane Smith, Leela, and Romana (the latter two met in the novel "Lungbarrow" - wacky!)). It'd be called "The Three K-9s" and they could try and defeat Omega, who has conveniently returned from the antimatter universe...

Was watching "The Nightmare of Eden" on UKGold Sunday morning. K-9 was fairly witty in it.

foxybrowne wrote:
    Was watching "The Nightmare of Eden" on UKGold Sunday morning. K-9 was fairly witty in it.
    shudder, people talk of colin baker etc as the lows of doctor who; frankly I always thought second last season of tom baker was pretty woeful, along with some of the eps from the last season.

Seriously? What other eps were in that season? In all fairness, Lalla Ward was a foxy hippie, fair play Tom, he knows his laydees.

horns of nimon, creature from the pit, destiny of the daleks, all fairly poor; meglos from the last season was fairly crap too... though yes, lalla ward had a cute etonian look about her...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Stark wrote:
    and another alien Ro-na, who appeared in the "look at the princess" trilogy from the second season. That blue alien that Rose met in the corridor was extremely like her in mannerisms:
    I thought that as well as soon as I saw her.

I also thought the Cassandra O'Brien character was a very imaginative creation. Did you notice that her brain was in a jar at the base of the metal frame that she went around in? If the trauma of having her face explode didn't kill her, then she could still be alive.

horns of nimon, creature from the pit, destiny of the daleks, meglos
    craptastic alright
    I also thought the Cassandra O'Brien character was a very imaginative creation. Did you notice that her brain was in a jar at the base of the metal frame that she went around in? If the trauma of having her face explode didn't kill her, then she could still be alive.
    Was pretty nasty of the Doctor letting her die, she was the last human. Maybe she'll be back, as a Dalek perhaps?

Advertisement