Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl Dublin 15 users - please report bad pings

• 02-04-2005 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭

Numerous ntl bb customers in the Dublin 15 area have been reporting bad pings. I think it is time to get together and report these to ntl and follow up to ask for action. I know other customers have had stern word with ntl.

Around 21:30 last night I ran a ping to jolt, once a minute for 10 minutes.
    Range of times was 56ms - 205ms.
    Average range: 71ms - 131ms.
    Even this morning (10:50) the average range is 43ms - 90ms.

I'm not a gamer and don't notice the impact of these pings but others do.
    I have already emailed a log to customer.support@ntl.ie, including my account number, name and address. I've received the automated assigning of an issue number and will follow up early next week.

I used the following on my XP machine (with cygwin) to generate the log:
    for f in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    do
        date | tee -a ntl_ping_20050402.log
        ping www.jolt.co.uk | tee -a ntl_ping_20050402.log
        sleep 60
    done

I don't know how to duplicate this with plain old Command Prompt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres been a few power cuts in the area on Thurs/Fri. My NTL was down completely Fri night. I've had lots of problems connecting over the last few weeks. I've have to reboot the modem 5 or 6 times to get a connection. Takes about 15-20mins. Apart from last night where I never got connected.

What sites are good to use as a ping log. When I contacted customer support they made out the problem was with my equipment, and that the sites I was pinging had a problem. Not that any of that was true. I have'nt a chance to general a log since. I think theres only a handful of here from D.15 having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Lads Please remember my ongoing problem !!! Its a "network sementation" issue !!! not enought fibre to the URS, I've bben told too much traffic on the router in the area and hence we are all expericing fine downloads however the pings are shít and I have been on thier case since Jan and no luck !!

DONT let them FOB you off with pings / tracert and all that bull !! it s problem on thier side !!!!!! They have you beliving its thier your problem.....

The monkeys in tech support will string you along .......... and they know about the problem..............

A job sheet has been sent from the Tech team to the contractors for NTL for improvement s to Luttrelsown and Riverwood D15 but "no date" has been scheduled to do the works !!

I was also told by the TEch Manger that "NTL" would not be taking on anymore customers on BB in the area until porblme was addresed !! However my brother and neighbour got an install in the last 2 weeks !! and hense pings are getting steadily worse!!!

Crap service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Last week I followed up with ntl on my report of bad pings in Dublin 15.
    I received a phone call on Friday.
    This email I got this morning, essentially repeating the phone conversation.
    Thank you for your email. I have been advised by our Cable Modem Team that the Area Inspector will be working on this issue and he has advised that this fault should be resolved within two weeks.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you at this time and for the delay in having this matter resolved.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards

XXXXXXx,
    NTL Customer Support

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I thought bad pings had something to do with 24/7 or high capacity downloaders or something. It's why they sent out those letters last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Infini wrote:
    I thought bad pings had something to do with 24/7 or high capacity downloaders or something. It's why they sent out those letters last week.

TBH thats bull, there is a problem with the URS Routers they have abd the capacity they can hold, they are maxed out in D15 and new upgrading to give better bandwidth to all !! Guess they are waiting for new mgt to approve the spend !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've had consistently bad pings since I signed with NTL last year. For the past couple weeks I have a few nights where I can't get online at all, and it usually takes about an hour to get connected.

Advertisement