Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teleworking cap question?

• 02-04-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello,

I know, I know. Everybody is getting sick of cap questions. Well, here's another one!

I sometimes use eircom bb to work from home and so do some of my colleagues. We all use eircom bb. As you can imagine we get the full 512k bandwidth between us and very low pings, so it makes iChat video conferencing, etc. a viable thing.

We are not all on the same exchange, in fact, each of us are on a different eircom exchange. My question is: Is it truly fair that our use of the DSL network between us is entirely fair of our CAP allowance?

My understanding is that the CAP is measured at each of our DSLAM ports. However, we are only going across the exchanges backhaul connections and are not going near eircoms 'potentially congested' edge routers which will route us out to the internet.

For the amount of use we make of it, we can't justify upgrading to a business account (no cap).

I'd be interested in peoples opinions of this, and the use of eircom's DSL network as a virtual WAN. Are we potentially slowing down other customers (by much), or do I have a case to put to eircom to stop measuring eircom->eircom network traffic. My guess it that if they don't measure the traffic at each customer individual DSLAM port then it would be too hard to measure it further upstream -hence all traffic is measured against the cap, even if it's not going to the "internet"

-- damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

If you're video conferencing or whatever youre only using about 110k up and 110k down. I wouldn't worry about the effects that it will have on other customers since eircom's network isnt contended at all, as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

your consideration for other people is commendable but honestly dont worry bout it your paying for a package the same as the rest of us use it whatever way you want, if anything your using it for a good reason rather than someone like meself who just downloads rubbish and plays games on it.

Eircom have had enough trouble trying to monitor the cap as it is there is no hope they would be able to distinguish your traffic from traffic going out of their network (well not at this point in time anyway)

Advertisement