Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to pull data from a Window

Options
  • 02-04-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am using an ASP application that pulls data from a DB when you knock in a customer ID. It generates a table, with columns names.. (straight forward)

I would like to handle this table in order to rearrange the data, save them in Excel.. (I wish to code this, I don't want to copy/paste if possible)

I do not (and will not) have access to the server (asp code nor DB).

So my question is : Is it possible to point to the Web browser window from an application (Excell VBA, Java, ...) which would run locally on my PC.

Is it science fiction or is there a way to do this?

Any input very welcome.

Cheers,
    JF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its possible to write a VBA application to screenscrape the data from the HTML and into an office application.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

You could open a connection to the url that generates the data and parse the html returned, in java you could use : HttpURLConnection
    As for getting that data into excel with java no idea.
    You could use vb OLE and open a connection and parse html with the equivalent class to HttpURLConnection in vb possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

HaVoC wrote:
    You could open a connection to the url that generates the data and parse the html returned, in java you could use : HttpURLConnection
    As for getting that data into excel with java no idea.
    You could use vb OLE and open a connection and parse html with the equivalent class to HttpURLConnection in vb possible.

OLE :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You could use the Microsoft Web Browser control (shdocvw.dll or maybe .ocx) in a window/form to navigate to the page, let you or your users put in the client id and display the data. The component then exposes the document as a DOM object which you can read through.

Advertisement