Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone with circa (under or over) 40 million Evening Herald Tokens?

• 02-04-2005 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,
    I'm looking for one or two people who have been collecting evening herald tokens to win a house.
    I was collecting from the start and convinced myself I was going to win. Since then I've heard some rumours (which I wont repeat because I dont know how true they are!!)
    Anyway I have worked out that to date I have spent circa Euro 3000 on buying papers and decided not to waste it.
    Was annoyed that a syndicate would win, but hey
    "if you cant beat them join them"

We have now got a boards syndicate running and we are looking for like minded individuals (those who went balls out trying to win and want to get their money back!! and more if possible)

The syndicate will comprise of no more than 5/6 shareholders with high value collection of tokens.

If you are interested or know of someone collecting - please pass the info on.
    I will need confirmation by Tues morning.

All signed agreements and tokens will need to be amalgamated by Thursday evening.

Hopefully talk soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

didnt collect them myself but just wondering, what exactly is the point in being a 1/6 shareholder in a 3 bed apartment? do the rules not stipulate that you must live in the apartment and you cannot sell it for at least x number of years? and also, they will probably only sign the apartment over to 1 person, so would you trust a stranger to have there name on the deeds for x years and then to give you your money after they sell it, no doubt a cunning person with some legal background could draft up a contract with a hidden loophole.

or even presuming you all decide to keep the property what way would you intend on sharing it with 6 people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

kdouglas wrote:

or even presuming you all decide to keep the property what way would you intend on sharing it with 6 people?

2 to a bedroom i guess ;)
    proabbly time shares or sell it

good luck to yis anyway, i like to hear about it if you win as these things always get won by someone that nobody in ireland seems to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

There's this muppet in work who is positive she's gonna win with 8 million. I cant wait to ruin it for her on Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CaraNiTuathaill

No, theres nothing in the rules to say you have to hold it for a no of years. The only thing is they will only accept one name on entry. So yes there is a level of trust needed but we will have signed agreements and they will have to produce id and proof of address (maybe birth cert only just thought of that now...) but theres no way to win this without at least 100 million ++++
    and I've spent too much money - so its either no chance or some chance. I thought I was going to win originally then someone had the same and so we decided to get together but we wouldnt have had enough.
    Apartment worth 275,000
    Less
    1.5% Estate Agents fees = 4125
    solicitors fees = 5000
    Management Fee circa= 900
    costs roughly 10,000
    Thats 265,000 remaining - with 5 shares is 53,0000

And 53,000 Euros is better than a kick in the ass. ;)
    Less my initial outlay 3000 (dont slag I was a bit obsessed with winning at this stage and bought a phenomenal amount of papers but at least I'm not dilusional and think that I'm definitely going to win, and I'm not too greedy I dont mind sharing - if a few of us got money for deposit for a house wouldnt it be worth it rather than absolutely nothing)

so thats 50,000 profit.

How can you beat that?

There are some people who are just so obsessed at the minute with winning (on their own - bit greedy isnt it.) that they are complaining about people joing together to form syndicates. And I wish them the best of luck on their own!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

The most likely person to win something like this is someone who deals in returning papers to the herald. You only have to return the banner, the rest of the paper gets binned. Very easy to remove the tokens and keep them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You're all going to lose.

John

the people in the shop cant enter - its in the rules, plus the bar code is on the back of the token which the herald scan so that the shop doesnt have to pay for thm. so if some one was taking tokens off papers they would have to be paid for - the herald would be looking for their money and there would be questions asked im sure.

Ps We probably will all lose but its worth trying anyhow.

Anyway is there anyone replying who wants to join....???????????

John - I think your name should be doom and gloom and not lump...!!!

But its not over till the fat lady sings...
    Anyway do you know something I dont????

C'mon out with it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I know you're going to lose.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Sorry to burst your bubble but you haven't a hope, there's so many scams going on with this compo its crazy. For 'fairness' it's got to be the worst form of competition they could have concieved but for sheer sales of newspapers its a dream.

To give you an example I know of two seperate cleaners (different jobs, different locations which I won't reveal) who have been collecting whatever tokens come off the 100-150 odd discarded heralds they find daily each. They're pooling that too.

At least that was for free, 3 grand! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

I find it very hard to comprehend how someone who is smart enough to use the internet can be stupid enough to spend 3000 euro on evening herald's. The mind boggles :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I hope you recycled the papers after you read them all. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

see if you know anyone working in a hotel. they get loads of newspapers everyday you will get loads of tokens there

I knew I'd get abuse!!!!

Can anyone be constructive.??

Ps I'm thinking of using the papers to build a shelter I believe its the best method of keeping warm if you're homeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

www.rollercoaster.ie If you go to their discussion board under miscellaneous there is a small syndicate. There is contact addresses for Brenda and Barry who are organising it. Maybe you could join with them. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I remember entering the same competition a few years ago, but back then there were loads of different prizes. One of them was a camcorder, which we thought it would be deadly to have.

It was me, my brother and my friend, and we decided to dedicate ourselves to winning the camcorder! We went around our estate, knocking on doors asking do they get the Herald, and if so could they keep their tokens for us. We also went around town looking for people with the paper, and just going up to them and asking for their tokens.

On one of the last days of the competition, the tokens were worth loads, so we decided to spend £120 between us on papers. We must have cleared out every newsagent in the city centre! We went off and tore out all the tokens, then went around selling the papers to people, around town and on the dart home. We then used that money to buy more papers!

We won the thing in the end anyway...thank god! And had we bid for the Scooter (which was 2nd best prize I think), we would have won that.

Those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Yeah its really annoying though the way the tokens are worth ok-ish amounts and then in the last week or two all the tokens are worth a million or some other hge amount. Its a pain in the ass for people that have collected them all the way through because people can hop on board in the last week, buy loads and win.
    Good luck though.
    p.s. My mam buys one a day and is keeping the tokens each day....and believes she has a chance of winning!! Bless her little cotton socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Roz

Hi all,
    I'm looking for one or two people who have been collecting evening herald tokens to win a house.
    I was collecting from the start and convinced myself I was going to win. Since then I've heard some rumours (which I wont repeat because I dont know how true they are!!)
    Anyway I have worked out that to date I have spent circa Euro 3000 on buying papers and decided not to waste it.
    Was annoyed that a syndicate would win, but hey
    "if you cant beat them join them"

We have now got a boards syndicate running and we are looking for like minded individuals (those who went balls out trying to win and want to get their money back!! and more if possible)

The syndicate will comprise of no more than 5/6 shareholders with high value collection of tokens.

If you are interested or know of someone collecting - please pass the info on.
    I will need confirmation by Tues morning.

All signed agreements and tokens will need to be amalgamated by Thursday evening.

Hopefully talk soon
    I am interested. I have sent you a message.

Roz
    Just got your message will send you private message in a mo..
    I think we might win...although we may need one more were in with one hell of a chance!!!!

Ps LUMP are you messaging on the rollercoaster board. Because whilst I wish them well I dont think they are going to win....

and Enii thanks I do think you are very generous giving your tokens away - I thought about joining their syndicate but after reading many of their mails realised I would have nearly enough tokens on my own....
    But in the alls fair in love and war system I wish them well and may the best man win!!! (its not pc to be pc any more so Im not writing woman in bracketts doh!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cianos wrote:
    I remember entering the same competition a few years ago, but back then there were loads of different prizes. One of them was a camcorder, which we thought it would be deadly to have.

It was me, my brother and my friend, and we decided to dedicate ourselves to winning the camcorder! We went around our estate, knocking on doors asking do they get the Herald, and if so could they keep their tokens for us. We also went around town looking for people with the paper, and just going up to them and asking for their tokens.

On one of the last days of the competition, the tokens were worth loads, so we decided to spend £120 between us on papers. We must have cleared out every newsagent in the city centre! We went off and tore out all the tokens, then went around selling the papers to people, around town and on the dart home. We then used that money to buy more papers!

We won the thing in the end anyway...thank god! And had we bid for the Scooter (which was 2nd best prize I think), we would have won that.

Those were the days!

You do know ya could have just saved up and bought a camcorder instead of buying all those papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Debyaka

If anyone is interested in selling their spare tokens, Pm me and i'll give you a good price,
    I will consider all amounts of tokens,
    And another thing, If you have a good amount of tokens I might be interested in a 2 person collaboration, I mite have no chance against the mighty sydicates running here but you never know ey?? If your interested get in touch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pkissane

One more?

I contacted you both - hope to hear from you :)

PK

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

I knew I'd get abuse!!!!

Can anyone be constructive.??

Ps I'm thinking of using the papers to build a shelter I believe its the best method of keeping warm if you're homeless
    my boyfriends aunt has spent over ten grand on heralds(yes more money than sense) and when she tried to bring the papers to the recycling place (only bout 1500 this time) they were charging her 15 euro. think she said there was prople selling tokens on e bay. that was a few weeks ago tho.
    best of luck.

Hi everyone, just a last reminder!!!!
    Syndicate will not be able to accept any more members after today, due to signing of contracts. Also you will need to be based in Dublin.
    We have collected a seriously high no of tokens and are definitely in with a chance.
    Dont forget its on a pro rata basis.
    Anyway thanks for all messages on this thread, and wishing all who are entering the best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Debyaka

Now that the comp is nearly at an end and the last day of entries has passed, anybody want to tell us what bids you got in??

Advertisement