Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to study?

Options
  • 02-04-2005 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

can someone give me advice on studying cause I haven't a clue and need to start soon, how much does everyone else usually do b4 end of yr exams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

depends on what your doing!
    I do my study like this:
    I read notes etc and if my mind starts to wander I start right back at the beginning and eventually after doing this for 2-3 hours you know the first section really well, then I do the same the next day but skip forward past the pages I read 20-40 times the previous day and do the exact same thing, and eventually its all in my head just long enough for exams.
    Its definitely not the best or easiest way to study but it gets you there in the end and when your in college you got a lot of time free so time isn't really worth that much, especially in the afternoons!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'll let this stick for a while. My tip, study instead of posting on the net.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It depends what sort of subject - tell us!

If you're reading, at the end of each paragraph, force yourself to explain what you just read to yourself in your own words to make sure you're really understanding and not just coasting along on the words.

On a page, make brief notes with headings on important points and addresses of more information.

Go through the notes looking at the headings first - if you can't explain to yourself what they refer to, go back to the original source and find out.

Find past exam questions and practise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

maths and physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ah - my advice was geared a bit more towards humanities-type subjects. With Maths, I find you just have to keep practising until they stick in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As Simu said - practise with Maths. Physics too, all those formulae.

What I found was short busts - do 20mins, walk away for 5-10 mins, do 20 more mins and so on.

Also go back over the last 5 years past papers.

Advertisement