Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU dullness?

Options
  • 02-04-2005 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

First off, I think when people say DCU is dull, I think it has the potential to be a great social hub but it's not 'cos of student apathy and the spectrum of courses on offer in the college as well. Take Maynooth NUI for example. They have a total student population of 6,000, and during their SU elections 4000 votes were received altogether. Compare that to DCU. where the student population is pushing 11,000 and yet 1,200 people voted. There is no enthusiasm on the part of students, people blame the ents. officer etc etc. but when you meet a lot of people some of them don't seem that interested in anything other than their course.

A lot of students come from national schools where they already have well established social-circles, and a lot of those circles tend to completely transfer into a college course intact, and because they already know those people, there is no incentive to meet new people. Secondly, DCU has a scientific/mathematical emphasis, which means courses with lots of labs and long hours. Trinity and UCD are primarily arts orientated, which seems to equate to a better social life. People say arts students are dossers but I went out with a BESS bird a while back and she had a LOT of work, yet somehow she had a great social life and was always out and about with her buddies.

maybe I'm wrong though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

pushpop wrote:
    ...and the spectrum of courses on offer in the college as well.
    I'm not sure I get why that's a factor?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Crucifix wrote:
    I'm not sure I get why that's a factor?
    One phrase:

BESS Girls. Cha-ching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

i dunno really. dcu is like your slightly embarrassing parent. you love them, you appreciate what they've given you, at times everything is great with them and life is good.

but they can't dance for ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

i dunno really. dcu is like your slightly embarrassing parent. you love them, you appreciate what they've given you, at times everything is great with them and life is good.

but they can't dance for ****.

****ing brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

pushpop wrote:
    A lot of students come from national schools where they already have well established social-circles, and a lot of those circles tend to completely transfer into a college course intact, and because they already know those people, there is no incentive to meet new people. Secondly, DCU has a scientific/mathematical emphasis, which means courses with lots of labs and long hours. Trinity and UCD are primarily arts orientated, which seems to equate to a better social life. People say arts students are dossers but I went out with a BESS bird a while back and she had a LOT of work, yet somehow she had a great social life and was always out and about with her buddies.

I have found all of these threads about DCU's 'dullness' extremely fascinating. As a student in UCD I've noticed this stick with your own social circle mentality is rampant out there too.

I personally think the bottom line is that most people could not be bothered interacting and getting to know new faces. Yes you could say people have their own social circles but I don't feel that is any excuse for not bothering getting to know new people or making friends. Long course hours can tire people out but considering in these smaller courses in DCU people must work in small groups and know their classes I don't feel thats an excuse either.

These 'cliques' show to me the insecurity that so many people must have within themselves. Being in a group or a social circle gives each individual a sense of comfort and security. You may see all these people happy as f**king larry but deep down they lack social skills in terms of meeting people. This I feel is something that represents most of society. It certainly seems to me that the only way we can talk to new faces is with 6-7 pints down the hatch.

I would totally disagree with arts orientated courses having better social lifes. I study Arts in UCD a course with little hours and work and I have not made even one friend in my 1st year in the place. Why? Nothing to do with me but as what so many people go on about DCU its the 'stick with your mates from Secondary school' attitude that sweeps my course. No one has any interest in knowing new faces. Everyone sticks with their own groups and for people like me who have gone out their hardly knowing anyone its complete sh*te.

Bottom line is this atmosphere does not only exist out in DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 騎手

I have found all of these threads about DCU's 'dullness' extremely fascinating. As a student in UCD I've noticed this stick with your own social circle mentality is rampant out there too.
    You'd think that would only happen if a clique from a secondary school all did the same course. If they do different courses you'd think that they'd meet new friends in class and the social groups would expand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

As a student in UCD I've noticed this stick with your own social circle mentality is rampant out there too

BURN THE WITCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think its just that its in Dublin, and some of their friends will be in nearby colleges, whereas in Maynooth, your more inclined to meet other people (as Dublin is an hour away). I went to Carlow, and you get to meet people easily there, as most of the people in your class are from Dublin, Galway, etc, so they'll be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

maynooth? full of people (cliques too) from dublin 15. i should know, i'm from that hole of an area.

i love it really.

Advertisement