Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Home OEM

• 02-04-2005 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

The tail end of a long story is that my OEM copy of XP home is broken into about 5 pieces. I still have my cd key and everything so pretty much just need the disc ( I know this isnt the fs thread but if anyone has a copy they would be willing to part with, let me know). My best option seems to be to buy a new copy. Komplett have it for €85, but it carries this message "This OEM product can only be bought together with a third party retail product ( not software and bulk product ) that is a part of a PC. For example cases, mouse, harddrive, memory, monitor, keyboards and so on" . Has anyone bought a copy from them and if so, is it as simple as buying a cheapy mouse for €10 with the disc?

Also 1 other quick question. My younger brother has a Sony VAIO desktop, is it possible to pull XP off the reload cd's that come with it, or is it not a full copy/embedded in crap?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Why are you posting on multiple boards?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was asking a bit of advice here, re: komplett and their policy about buying the OEM copy with a piece of hardware, I just stuck the bit in about anyone having a copy they want to part with as an aside. The post in wanted is to try buy a copy from someone so it doesnt cost me the €85 komplett are charging. Appologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Try calling microsoft, they'll ask for the CD serial number, and the XP version and its serial number if there is one, they will probably re-issue the disk, maybe at a minor charge, but they normally will...
    In an effort to make you use their os they'll normally replace authentic install CD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Never thought of that. Just kind of assumed itd be similar to something you buy in the shop, you broke it so its not covered by waaranty type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Well with MSDN you can lose the CD's you want cause they'll let you download the iso's again, but if you can prove you authenticity of being a windows user they'll most likely replace it. This whole new stance of supporting authentic users, and purchasers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement