Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hire in Dublin

Options
  • 02-04-2005 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Couldnt decide where to put this, travel where I never normally look, bargain alerts (??) nor here! so - apologies if it should be elsewhere!

Anyways,

I've to book a mid size car for my brother in law for July for approx 11 days and got a bit of shock that it was around €480 euro for the likes of a corsa :eek: is this right or over the top ?

I've tried Budget, Avis and a couple of others I've googled but anyone any cheap car hire companies they can recommend to get it a little cheaper - I'm paying you see :( ??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Shameful plug, http://www.thrifty.ie, any questions hit me, coz i work there!

11 days in July for a Corsa size comes out at €243, a Corsa wouldnt be classed as mid-size tho, that would be something like a Golf/Focus, which is €259.

What did those quotes include in the rate?, maybe a fully inclusive rate (ie. €0 liability) would come close but then again thats still expensive even for that, and online rates don't quote with full cover, unless its an automatic you're looking for, in which case you have your answer, they command a nice premium and are generally almost twice the price of the same size manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Nice one, knew somebody on boards would come up trumps, €233 aint so bad! No was just a regular manual - am gonna try and book that online now!

I think it was a fully inclusive rate but everything I've checked so far (except one which was through auto reservations and was €314 for a 4 dr corsa and included Price quoted includes Unlimited Mileage, VAT, Location Fees, 24 hour breakdown cover & Insurance.Standard Refundable excess applies.)

Just checked Thrifty though and it comes up as €428.00 for a punto - what am I doing wrong??????

what are the exact dates? any dates in July i've tried comes up the above prices... :confused:

25 July pick up Dublin airport 1400 - drop off 05 Aug Dublin airport 1100 - ideally for a focus/golf.....sorry for being stupid, but really appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

try dan dooley also

• Advertisement

samo wrote:
    25 July pick up Dublin airport 1400 - drop off 05 Aug Dublin airport 1100

ah, thats your reason, August Bank Holiday AKA the busiest weekend of the car rental calendar, means that demand is so high, pretty much evey car rental company will be booked out for this weekend and thus the reason for the higher prices, basically once you go into August the rates jump anyway because the month of August is the busiest month but esp around the bank holiday weekend your stuck with the elevated prices.

Basically if your gonna rent a car around those dates youre gonna pay alot more than usual because of the dates involved, could you chance asking your brother to come two weeks earlier in the interest of saving yourself a small fortune! otherwise your stuck with those prices im afraid :(

ah, didnt realise there would be a higher premium for those dates due to bank holiday (makes sense though!)

Will go with the auto reservations quote which wasnt that bad as those dates are set in stone unfortunately! Tried Dan dooley and they were pretty cheap too actually so will remember them for the future.

Thanks for the help - much appreciate it :)

Advertisement