Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cucumber Gene

• 02-04-2005 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Years back I heard that....
    There is a gene in everyone that dictates if you can taste a particular chemical ( dont know the chemical name! ) .....If you can taste this chemical then you will HATE cucumbers and if you cant taste the chemical then you will LOVE cucumber

Apparently people who like cucumbers state that a cucumber tastes like an apple (???) - where was those who hate it ( like me ) think it tastes like cr*p.

Anyone ever hear of this explanation before???!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

We did this experiment in biology a few years ago. Depending on how people reacted to tasting cucumber you were determined to be either a "taster" or "non-taster". A non-taster didn't taste any bitterness. There was a genetic reason for this but I don't remember what it was at this stage. Thankfully I'm a non-taster but I wouldn't say I love cucumber, it adds a bit of moisture to a salad/sandwich.

For more info:
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/6/1424

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Thanks God for that - everyone I share this "amazing" fact with thinks Im crazy!! I'll be directing them to that link in future!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cucumber is the vilest, most truly putrid thing one can taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes, there is a gene that defines whehter you can taste the bitterness of a particular chemical found in cucumbers. I could most definetely taste that bitter chemical but I like cucumbers, nice and crunchy but I dont think they have any particularly strong taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm the same. I can taste the bitterness in them. I used to hate them them now I find nice in a sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Can't say I find them bitter but I would have thought there was a taste.

Kind of an indescribable taste though.. could be just water and crunch O_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It must be a relation of the gene that makes your wee appear to smell funny after eating asparagus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There's also a gene responsible for some people detesting the taste of saccharin. It's one of the reasons why 'diet' drinks producers switched to aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Yuk, saachairn hate that taste.

I think the smell of cumcumbers is the nicest ever, it is so fresh, I wish they would bottle it!

Advertisement