Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

yup, dosnt matter it cycles every 20 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

lynchie wrote:
    Phew... Thought it was just me. Im getting the exact same problem. Maxing aout about 250KB from any site, ftp.heanet.ie, ftp.esat.net etc.. Eircom better fix this prob. I know distance aint a problem as im 100m from the exchange

240-250KB/s is what you'd get from a 2Mb leased line. The DSLAM in your exchange is connected back to the main ADSL POPs (Summerhill, Dolphins Barn etc) over an ATM PVC which is obviously still at 2Mb/s.

Upgrading the connections between the end user and the exchange is a disruptive process as every end users modem has to adjust to the new speed - which is why the upgrade was done on a Saturday night. However upgrading a PVC isn't, as the ATM links are much bigger than the size of the PVC (it's probably a 2Mb PVC on a 45Mb ATM link) so they just need to allocate more bandwidth to each PVC on their ATM switches.

Eircom should be able to increase the size of the PVCs at any time over the next few days.
    Gav wrote:
    Yeh I'm on 3mb here and I'm getting about 250KB/sec. Looks like we're hitting the ceilling somewhere...

The good news is that if your modem is connected to the exchange at 2, 3 or 4Mb/s then your phone line is capable of that speed and you will get that speed when they've finished the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'm with UTV and my router tells me I have 1024 down. The didnt even tell me about an upgrade.

Anyone else with UTV got this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This is mine

http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=121.6&downloadtime=9.969&KB=148&recorded=1

15.kB/s ?!

Usually when i d/load files it can be up to 50kB/s.

Am i making a mistake somwhere or has the line got worse.

I'm with Eircom btw, how do i check my ney usage with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

diarmo wrote:
    Stop using irishisptest.com for evaluation of your speeds.

Download a 20MB or so from an Irish server to get a better idea of your true speed as 2/3/4mbit lines take longer than 512k lines to reach max velocity.

Think about it....1mbyte can be downloaded now in 5 seconds with a 2mbit line.
    A 4mbit connection will download it in 2.5 seconds.

Most hard drives arent even spinning fast even in 3 seconds to give a correct reading.

I'm not.....

I was downloading from the Heanet sourceforge mirror, and debian.ie
    We're definitley seeing an upper limit of around 250 KB/sec.
    I let it download about 50 megs from each server to confirm this.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Wait till they start selling 8Mb to the consumer market - this summer I think. I wonder if €ircon's lines support such speeds :confused:

That's ADSL2. Eircom's LINES certainly support it; it's designed to run over normal phone lines after all. Whether their EQUIPMENT supports it may be another question. I'm fairly sure their client stuff, at least, doesn't. Smart support it.

ro2 wrote:
    240-250KB/s is what you'd get from a 2Mb leased line. The DSLAM in your exchange is connected back to the main ADSL POPs (Summerhill, Dolphins Barn etc) over an ATM PVC which is obviously still at 2Mb/s.

Upgrading the connections between the end user and the exchange is a disruptive process as every end users modem has to adjust to the new speed - which is why the upgrade was done on a Saturday night. However upgrading a PVC isn't, as the ATM links are much bigger than the size of the PVC (it's probably a 2Mb PVC on a 45Mb ATM link) so they just need to allocate more bandwidth to each PVC on their ATM switches.

Eircom should be able to increase the size of the PVCs at any time over the next few days.

The good news is that if your modem is connected to the exchange at 2, 3 or 4Mb/s then your phone line is capable of that speed and you will get that speed when they've finished the upgrade.

Yeh that makes a lot of sense, although 250 KB/sec is actually above 2 megabit if you factor in TCP overhead. Hopefully those of us on 3 and 4 megabit will see better performance come Monday.

Gav

rsynnott wrote:
    That's ADSL2. Eircom's LINES certainly support it; it's designed to run over normal phone lines after all. Whether their EQUIPMENT supports it may be another question. I'm fairly sure their client stuff, at least, doesn't. Smart support it.

Plain old DSL has a theoretical Limit of either 2.3 megabit in bothe directions (synchronous), or 1 megabit upstream, and 8 downstream (Asynchronous).

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

GavinJCD wrote:
    Plain old DSL has a theoretical Limit of either 2.3 megabit in bothe directions (synchronous), or 1 megabit upstream, and 8 downstream (Asynchronous).

Gav

you mean symmetric and asymmetric..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Test results from NUMION
    I'm impressed if they're accurate :D

Date/time Throughput

1 03 April 2005 16:35:46 20,764 Bps 166 kbps
    2 03 April 2005 16:34:31 14,961 Bps 120 kbps
    3 03 April 2005 16:32:15 14,671 Bps 117 kbps

Average: 16,799 Bps 134 kbps
    Middle: 14,961 Bps 120 kbps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Syremetric 2048/2048
    Asymetric 2048/128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Got upgraded last night, spent the night downloading at 215kb per second, now it seems the connection is choked, its slow as hell, anyone else having the same problem?

jd wrote:
    you mean symmetric and asymmetric..
    `

****, yeh I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭zafa

ok whats the craic with these upgrades?

im with netsource the last 2 years or so, on a 512 connection, now i wake up this morning and ive got a 2meg connection with 220k downloads that i never asked for, or was told id be getting

it also seems loads of other people have been upgraded, but some only to 1meg, and some of them paid for their 2 meg upgrade

whats goin on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

yack, I hope this aint permanent

bandwidth.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

not sure if this exchange was posted yet..Summerhill, im in Clonee

http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=849.4&downloadtime=10.64&KB=1103.25&recorded=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

hi all,

i've put some "big" files up on irishisptest.com for testing your new connections with.

http://www.irishisptest.com/files/

should keep some of the more pedantic people quiet :)

Paul/flame/shortword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For anyone still having problems with speed on Eircom..

Try this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2566593&postcount=58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

flamegrill wrote:
    hi all,

i've put some "big" files up on irishisptest.com for testing your new connections with.

http://www.irishisptest.com/files/

should keep some of the more pedantic people quiet :)

Paul/flame/shortword
    I've also added some notes about Opera which will NOT work with the test (or vice-versa - you choose :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Although speeds and caps are being upgraded, every dsl package is now changing to Rate Adaptive DSL.

This means:

RADSL (Rate Adaptive DSL) is an asymmetric DSL variant which can adjust the speed of the DSL connection depending on the distance from the Central Office (CO) and the quality of the connection

Basically dont all expect to get the full speed increase all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

je, sometimes it goes faster sometimes it goes slower
    but tbh anything above 150k/sec is alright with me! 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

blacknight wrote:
    I've also added some notes about Opera which will NOT work with the test (or vice-versa - you choose :) )
    Opera on Windows seems to work fine, but on Linux it reports the speed at about half of what it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

On netsource SoHo in Rush. went from 512 to 2 Mb. Pings to jolt around 33, downloading at around 216k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

WTF

:(

Your current bandwidth reading is:

444.70kbps

which means you can download at 55.59 KB/sec. from our servers.

Galway city centre, here.

Fenster... did you try restarting your router?

And if not.. see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2566593&postcount=58

Also, that ISP Test is not an accurate measure of your speed. Try downloading the ISO from the link in my post indicated above.

basquille wrote:
    Also, that ISP Test is not an accurate measure of your speed.

What's wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Worked a charm. Downloading at 237 kps <3

blacknight wrote:
    What's wrong with it?
    As many people have pointed out... it's just not accurate enough.

Better to download something from Microsoft / Heanet than use it.

A couple have people have tricked it to show they're downloading at 28MB/sec.
    Fenster wrote:
    Worked a charm. Downloading at 237 kps <3
    Good news! Enjoy it.. still at 150KB or so here on a promised 2MB connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Although speeds and caps are being upgraded, every dsl package is now changing to Rate Adaptive DSL.

This means:

RADSL (Rate Adaptive DSL) is an asymmetric DSL variant which can adjust the speed of the DSL connection depending on the distance from the Central Office (CO) and the quality of the connection

Basically dont all expect to get the full speed increase all of the time.

Eircom bitstream home DSl has always been RADSL AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Try the new version at http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

I changed the test to use a Java based applet.

Advertisement