Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Moriarty wrote:
    Merged the Irish ISP test thread into the Bandwidth Upgrades thread.

Thanks Moriarty - Thought I was going bananas !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

neon_glows wrote:
    Im annoyed, its not like i hoped, im only getting a working connection of 100kbs on my 1mb line which is only showing up as 860kbs on the isp tests, hoping this might go all the way up to 1mb but what can u do. At least a working connection like some of the lads of 120 would satisfy me. Craving speed.

You won't get faster than that, overheads take nearly 20% of your bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

isptest-apr3.png

1.72MBps here on UTV Clicksilver 2MBit. DU Meter shows 218.5kB/sec. Very stable speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,960 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mine:

isptest.JPG

Hope that does go nearer to 2MB tomorrow.. but judging by most people's comments on here, that's wishful thinking!

If i'm stuck with it, think i might downgrade to Eircom's Home Plus. Not gonna pay for a 2MB line if i don't get a pretty solid 2MB connection.

I noticed my Round Trip Time: 25ms whereas plazz_TT has a Round Trip Time: 4729ms

That's 4.7 seconds in the difference, right?... would that have an effect on my connection, or should i just disregard the round trip time?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dubdvd wrote:
    heres mine netsource tonight...1.71mbs down...108kbs up...nice going netsource...does anybody knowv if they have reduced there price i seen on there homepage 90euro for 3 months is this true as im paying 66 euro a month now but was planning on going to smart but i think ill drop that idea now :D

I was in the same boat as you, paying €66 per month. I rang them last week to cancel the service as I'm moving to NTL BB and they tried to entice me to stay by saying that they would drop the stupid domain name charge, thus it would be €54 per month instead of €66.

I was pretty pissed that they are only offering me this now.

Well NTL are coming out to install the cable modem tomorrow as well as Digital TV, they also offered me free analogue TV for 12 months :)

dubdvd ring Netsource and threaten to cancel the service and you will get the €12 per month off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

blacknight wrote:
    Try the new version at http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

I changed the test to use a Java based applet.

No disrespect but it sucks!

please change back to the old one, or atleast offer the option of the old one

the Irishspeedtest was so used by everyone cause it was so easy and fast to use

CyberGhost wrote:
    No disrespect by it sucks!

please change back to the old one, or atleast offer the option of the old one
    It's probably more accurate than the old one though!

basquille wrote:
    It's probably more accurate than the old one though!

not really and it doesn't display kb/s anymore either, and you can't just copy the webpage and paste the result here, now you have to take a screenshot, edit it, host it.............Please the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

im meant to be on 512k and im only getting 368k according to your little testing thing.

Whats gone wrong, first my broadband wasnt working all yesterday (presume that was part of the upgrade)

Is this because everyone is now horsing the new bandwith into them and killing the whole infrastructure?

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I've got the full 1Mbps connection here (Eircom Home Starter). Give it a day or so, they're upgrading a lot of people at once, and i'm guessing the backbone hasn't been upgraded appropriately everywhere yet. The infrastructure failures over the weekend can't have helped much either. Give them till the official changeover date (the 4th) before you get too worried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

With Netsource in the IFSC:

D/l Speed: 1.70Mbps
    U/l Speed: 104 kpbs (talk about a difference..)
    Quality of Service: 96%
    Round Trip Time: 2s
    Max Pause: 32s

Not bad, although it hasn't made too much of an impact yet on my life...

CyberGhost wrote:
    not really and it doesn't display kb/s anymore either
    It does..

See the bottom-left corner in grey where it has:

kbps=1000 bits/second MBps=1000000 bits/second

Click it!

... the test is now displayed in KB/sec.

Emmo wrote:
    im meant to be on 512k and im only getting 368k according to your little testing thing.

Whats gone wrong, first my broadband wasnt working all yesterday (presume that was part of the upgrade)

Is this because everyone is now horsing the new bandwith into them and killing the whole infrastructure?

Emmo
    Emmo, try to restart the modem. Follow these instructions:

(1) Put 192.168.1.254 in your address bar
    (2) Click on 'Expert Mode' in the sidebar
    (3) Click OK when prompted
    (2) Click 'Restart' in the top right hand corner
    (3) Wait a minute or two.. it will be unresponsive.
    (4) When it comes back, carry out the ISP Test.

Best of luck!

basquille wrote:
    It does..

See the bottom-left corner in grey where it has:

kbps=1000 bits/second MBps=1000000 bits/second

Click it!

... the test is now displayed in KB/sec.

ok you got me there, but what about just copying and pasting the result?

sigh...back to itunes speed test for me :(

CyberGhost wrote:
    ok you got me there, but what about just copying and pasting the result?

sigh...back to itunes speed test for me :(
    Copying and pasting the result ain't exactly difficult now either..

Click PrintScreen, go into Paint, then paste and save as JPEG.

And when you're posting a new reply, click Manage Attachments and attach it!

PS - didn't even realise iTunes had a speed test. Uninstalled iTunes ages ago... couldn't stand it! Use EphPod now for the iPod.

basquille wrote:
    Copying and pasting the result ain't exactly difficult now either..

Click PrintScreen, go into Paint, then paste and save as JPEG.

And when you're posting a new reply, click Manage Attachments and attach it!

that's too long I'm too lazy and too busy eating nachos to do that

I just download itunes, I have a download link bookmarked I click it and start leeching away, it's 30 megs in size so when the speed stops increasing or decreasing I just cancel the download

Irishspeedtest is off my bookmarks unfortunatelly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm on the eircom business package (summerhill exchange) that should have been upgraded to 3 meg. I tried the 20 meg test file download and got an average of 211KB/s (seemed to peak around 225/230). Anyone think that looks suspiciously like a 2 meg bandwidth figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I remember someone said something about Eircom having a deal for their old customer that don't have wireless routers. Anyone know anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Lads my broadband is seriously messed up, i just downloaded a whole linux ISO at over 1mb a second working speed, doing a test now, im on tramore exchange. I should only be on normal broadband, ill do a test now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Giblet wrote:
    You won't get faster than that, overheads take nearly 20% of your bandwidth.

Giblet....
    I've noticed that I get nearly 20% less than the maximum on Eircom business bb, no matter what the time of day as you mention. I cannot understand why. How do you know about this 20% overhead?

I have wireless broadband at home and get the full 64KB/s. And I used to have Esat Business DSL and always got my 64KB/s.

Today is probably not the best day to do bandwidth tests, assuming you want accuracy.

Every man and their dog is tryin out their upgraded lines as we speak :D

Wait a week or so to start bitch and moaning and hopfully eircom and co will get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knob

2mb iolbb+ customer:

Your download speed is 1.72mbps
    Upload speed is 104kbps

Is it likely our (2mb customers) upload speeds will remain at that or should I be on the phone to Esat demanding to know where my extra 0.28 thingies are? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mylo

radsl too?

Erm..... whats RADSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mylo

source - http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dsldigitalsubscriberline/l/bldef_radsl.htm

Definition: RADSL is an implementation of ADSL that automatically adjusts the connection speed to adjust for the quality of the telephone line. This feature allows RADSL service to function over longer distances than does ordinary ADSL, an important feature in suburban neighborhoods.

In RADSL, the broadband modem is configured at startup to test the phone line and adjust the data rate. RADSL typically operates at a lower date rate than regular ADSL. Like ADSL, RADSL provides relatively more bandwidth for downloads and less for uploads.

"adjust for the quality of the telephone line" also distance from the exchange has a factor in how fast your speed will be.

So by the powers of my feeble little intellect, I assume that 1.72 is the best I can expect?

And to confuse me even further, there is this:

downloading via IE I get a rate of about 90-100KB/sec
    via Firefox 150KB/sec
    via Flashget 200-220KB/sec but upon pausing/resuming, download rates drop to about 150KB/sec.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

neon_glows wrote:

There is something seriously srewed with this pic.

ADSL can at best support 8mbit/1mbit so 16mbit/4mbit is completely impossible.
    You were probable testing this out in a college or business network as those results are impossible for home broadband in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I was downloading at 470 kb/s last night, I didnt even know this upgrade had gone through and I nearly had a bloody heart attack...
    Upload speed should have been upgraded too but hey, im not complaining with 470 kb/s....

Advertisement