Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

vibe666 wrote:
    anyone finding torrents are staying at the pre-upgrade speeds?

not getting the most out of it at all.

Bittorrent is not a good indicator of your connections speed since your limited by the upload of your seeds/peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Is there any point staying on Eircoms 4Mb package when they cant give you any more then 250KB download on it.

3MB at have the price is starting to look a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The only service that's a good deal is the 2Mbps one, the 3Mbps and 4Mbps are priced in bonkersland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I'm still getting 512K speeds from my 3mb connection :rolleyes: from eircom
    sometimes it ramps right up to 300Kbps before dropping down as low as 14Kbps it's completely unstable as regards speed and the pings are still spiking badly. I hope they sort it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Redshift wrote:
    I'm still getting 512K speeds from my 3mb connection :rolleyes: from eircom
    sometimes it ramps right up to 300Kbps before dropping down as low as 14Kbps it's completely unstable as regards speed and the pings are still spiking badly. I hope they sort it soon.

Be sure to log the call with 1890260260 - if you don't complain you might never get it sorted. (that might be a 1800 number, cant quite rememeber)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ebonyks wrote:
    Bittorrent is not a good indicator of your connections speed since your limited by the upload of your seeds/peers.
    that's my whole point.

most of my downloading is torrent based.

I know if I use ftp & http downloads I get full speed, that's not what I'm after. I want to find out if it's possible to max out 2mbps with a torrent the way things are now.

hence wanting to find a legal torrent which is known for high speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

same here on eircom the best i have got out of a torrent is 80kbs
    now this may be due to such a tiny upload
    or have eircom put some anti peer to peer in place
    and if so is there a way around it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Yeah, most of my downloading is through bittorrent as well and I've maxed out my connection (214kb/s) on a few occasions.

You could try www.filerush.com and get one of their game demos to test. They have their own torrent tracker as well as letting you direct download. Seems to max out my line every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hey

On UTV Clicksilver Plus and it would be easier to call Elvis than them

Live in Coolock and want to know if I have been upgraded as not at home

They answered and said I was upgraded to 2mb and my upload speed has gone up to 256 yeah great

When I tested the speeds @ www.irishisptest.com they where not this

Anyone in Coolock been upgraded speeds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Ebonyks wrote:
    Yeah, most of my downloading is through bittorrent as well and I've maxed out my connection (214kb/s) on a few occasions.

You could try www.filerush.com and get one of their game demos to test. They have their own torrent tracker as well as letting you direct download. Seems to max out my line every time.

i mostly download via bit torrent and have so far only managed a max speed of 99kb/s which then went to around 80kb/s , that was until i tried that link in your post and i got a steady 217kb/s :eek: .

i knew my connection was ok as normal downloads were around 200kb/s but that was a great feeling seeing bt max out at 217kb/s :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

For those who are having problems keeping a steady connection with a 2mbit line please read on:

Normially while downloading with IE6/Opera/K-meleon/Firefox my downloads can vary from 50KBytes to mabye 170KBytes(from heanet.ie).
    But using a good download accelerator I can get a steady 215<->225kBytes/s.

I have used many download accelerators(getright/flashget..etc gave) but DC-Sakura Boyish-Downloader is the best, if very unknown, downloader for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 McSqueeb

IOL BB+ ROCHESTOWN Exchange (Killiney Area)

ZyXel Router Results

Upstream Spead: 128Kbps
    Downstream Spead: 2048Kbps

Irish ISP Test Results

Download Spead: 1.72Mbps or 215kBps
    Upload Spead: 72.5Kbps or 9.06kBps

Im unsure if these results are good or bad, playing Black Hawk Down UK server my ping bounces around the place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

You have a high bandwidth but your speed could be low, hence your hight latency/pings.

Its possible that interleaving could be high or something in your area...honestly I dont know.

But that bandwidth is about as good as your going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I managed to get just over 1mbps downloading a couple of torrents, but my http browsing went straight to hell with it. timeouts all over the place in IE Opera & Firefox.

I guess the nay sayers were right after all.

I'm still waiting to hear back from esat about switching to a business line. no point in having a 2mbps connection if you can't use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

McSqueeb wrote:
    IOL BB+ ROCHESTOWN Exchange (Killiney Area)

ZyXel Router Results

Upstream Spead: 128Kbps
    Downstream Spead: 2048Kbps

Irish ISP Test Results

Download Spead: 1.72Mbps or 215kBps
    Upload Spead: 72.5Kbps or 9.06kBps

Im unsure if these results are good or bad, playing Black Hawk Down UK server my ping bounces around the place :(
    Your upload is not great there, but download is fine. I would speculate that maybe your upload results aren't totally correct, give the test another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,960 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry to drag this up but my apparent 2MB line is still giving me a speed of 150KB max.. that's from that ISO file posted a couple of times that's on Heanet. My router is showing:

Downstream: 1472
    Upstream: 128

I was told by a couple of people that this is probably the max i can get due to distance from the exchange, or something like that. But i'm not that far from the exchange here in Sligo. And looking at other people's speeds on here... i get the feeling everyone else is getting between 170KB - 225KB a second.

Should i ring Eircom?... as to be honest, i'd rather downgrade to the Home Starter (1MB) if i don't get the full potential from the Home Plus (2MB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Heres my speedtest results.They have been fairly consistent.
    I`m on esatbt broadband plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

looks like 150 is your max, your line cannot handle the 2048 and has 'rate adapted' to 1472.

By dropping down, your cap would go from 16 to 8Gb, an upload of 1GB is imposed, your contention ratio increases (highly possibility of over-saturation from other users) and an upload limit of 1GB gets imposed.

Your choice :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,960 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for that JNive.

Yeah.. will probably stay on 2MB. It just seems crazy to stay on it if i'm not getting the full potential out of it.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JNive wrote:
    looks like 150 is your max, your line cannot handle the 2048 and has 'rate adapted' to 1472.

Your choice :-)

I would not make that assumption yet. I would wait another few days until we are sure the upgrade has finally settled down. My router has been showing all sort of figures incl 2048 but as low as c1000 while I have been getting from sub dial up speeds to 1.7mbs. Dont despair yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

My speed is similar - 1512 down 102 up, bit like miles per gallon when you buy your car I suppose.

Hey don't forget the bad old 56k days !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mickie M

complete suprise to me this has happened, i saw the bandwidth go up and check .tv for any info but there was none. where do you guys get youre info from?

i'm getting 1.7mb's down and 107k up steadily but ping seems a little random, maybe they are still sorting things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On Utv clicksilver plus

Results from http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

Download speed 729 kps
    Upload speed 104kps
    Quality of service 78%
    Round Trip Time 5038ms
    Max pause 110ms

your views as this goes above my head and should I been complaining
    to UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mickie M

On Utv clicksilver plus

Results from http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

Download speed 729 kps
    Upload speed 104kps
    Quality of service 78%
    Round Trip Time 5038ms
    Max pause 110ms

your views as this goes above my head and should I been complaining
    to UTV
    download speed should be 1.7mb (some of the 2mb's has to go to overheads)
    upload speed should be around 200kps is they doubled it as someone said
    quality of service i believe is the eircom line coming into youre house, dunno what the acceptibale result for that is but i had to get mine replaced recently due to bad signal so not surprised i get 99%
    round trip i believe is the time the test took, lower is better
    max pause is the ping, 40-60 should be the acceptable number but all depends how far you are from the server.

i'd give it until friday afternoon before looking at youre end of it and then when happy its not youre fault to inquire with U.tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote:
    Heres my speedtest results.They have been fairly consistent.
    I`m on esatbt broadband plus.

I think I spoke too soon!

I`ve run a few more test tonight and it has been lower,dipping to around 1.1mbps :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

esatbt

download speed 1.72mb/s
    upload speed 104kb/s
    quality of service 98%
    round trip time 38ms
    max pause 78ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Eircom package

dl speed: 1.71mbps
    ul speed: 106kbps
    average ping to jolt.co.uk: 38ms
    average ping to boards.ie: 24ms

Getting a LOT of ping spikes ingame. Generally about 35-45 ping to UK (Counter-Strike) servers. Is this going to stop when the service settles down?
    Also when (or are) they going to upgrade upload speeds? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Net1 Home connection Dundalk - advertised 1100/1100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

UTV Clicksilver plus
    Dublin city centre, upgraded since yesterday
    D/L speed 1.57 Mbps
    U/L speed 91.2 kbps

C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes o

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=137ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 137ms, Average = 72ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

WOW! Just noticed this sudden change in speed, was downloading at 170 kbs! :D

Advertisement