Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I notice some of the problems seem to be slowly ironing themselves out now, for me at least...speeds today went down for a few hours, its always in the evenings, but they only went down to around 150kb....and were back up to 220kb in the space of two hours, hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the dodgy ups and downs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

its much better now im gunning at 900 odd K, from what I have read thats ok on a 1Mb line?

Thanks for the help

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say that my line (2mb) is performing great last 24 hours or so , newsleecher is giving pretty much straightline 208k on Newshosting, most web pages load up very very fast.

This wasnt the case a few days ago , clearly eircom are sorting out the backhaul (on netsource origin plus ), unless smart offer me better than 2048/256 i see no need to change now as its all pretty reliable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I'm not really happy with IOL BB+ 2Meg in Celbridge yet.

Still inconsistent in terms of quality & consistency of service for me.

Its ok during the day performing as expected 1.72Meg but the last 2 evenings from about 8:20pm 'ish it drops back to between 1Meg - 1.25Meg.

I'm gathering data & recording results for a while & will contact ESAT support if it doesn't clear up. I know another user on Eircom with a 2Meg link having the same type of issues around the same times so I guess it might be exchange/local issues.

The fact that I can get a good service during some parts of the day indicate that my line & equipment should be ok. Not sure yet why there's such a drop off in the evening - maybe its extra traffic ?

I've checked my adsl modem & verified I'm getting 2048/128 on the line, my line properties seem ok (I think):

Noise Margin Upstream = 25.0dB
    Attenuation Upstream = 20.0dB
    Noise Margin Downstream = 38.0dB
    Attenuation Downstream = 30.0dB

Fingers crossed it'll stabilize soon :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

I'm on Digiweb's BizJet - and should supposedly have been upgraded to 2048/128 on April 6th (according email from Digiweb).
    However the speeds I get are worse than could be expected from even a 512/128 connection. Modem reset and so forth .... everything seems OK, but no speed increase - more like worse :(:confused:
    I'm on the Ballyboden exchange btw. ......
    Anyone having the same problems - or anyone @ Digiweb where it works ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep, I'm on Digiweb DSL and upgraded to 1024/128 since Tuesday, I'm consistently getting 106-107KB on downloads from Heanet.

ping www.boards.ie
    PING www.boards.ie (82.195.144.58) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from pie.boards.ie (82.195.144.58): icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=24.2 ms
    [snip]
    64 bytes from pie.boards.ie (82.195.144.58): icmp_seq=16 ttl=60 time=23.9 ms

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    16 packets transmitted, 16 received, 0% packet loss, time 15015ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 22.400/25.640/29.978/2.034 ms

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

On eircom home plus package here.

Just wondering if when downloading, getting speeds of 67~kb/s will be the server and not me? I can download 3 files from same server getting about 67ish kb/s on each one but never any more on a single one.

Only getting 67~ kb/s from fileshack public servers which are capped at 200kb/s. So its a bit weird.

Can get over 200 from heanet though.

Odd, anyone shed any light on this matter?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On eircom home plus package here.

Just wondering if when downloading, getting speeds of 67~kb/s will be the server and not me? I can download 3 files from same server getting about 67ish kb/s on each one but never any more on a single one.

Only getting 67~ kb/s from fileshack public servers which are capped at 200kb/s. So its a bit weird.

Can get over 200 from heanet though.

Odd, anyone shed any light on this matter?

That is quiet normal it is just the server administrators implementing bandwidth management software.

Lets say your server has only a 1mb line. Then it would be better to limt 10 users to a 100kbs, rather then having 1 person get 1mb and everyone else time out.

The funny thing is the better the bb we get, the more often you will see that the server you are downloading from is the bottlekneck.

I just read an article today how NASA is looking for sponsorship from commercial companies for the bandwidth to their website for the next shuttle launch. They expect 20 to 30 million web site visits for each shuttle launch and up to a half million streaming video feeds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Thats where programs like Bittorrent come in handy. Spreads the load created by huge files between multiple people.

For HTTP downloads, use something like Getright. Any download accellerator will do. Just find one you like. they'll segment your downloads, and allow you to max out your connection using just one file.

Is there a way to configure firefox/getright so the work together?

• Advertisement

Nevermind last post. Downloaded latest version of getright and flashgot, and that solved my problem. Google is my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey lads, despite some of the problems people are having since the speed upgrades, I'd just like to say that I think its pretty sweet the way we all got upgraded automatically and without any obligations on our part. In Rip-Off Ireland, there arent that many situations where you get something for essentially nothing! I got home the other day and was downloading a Microsoft Office update, and it was flyin along! I didn't know about the speed upgrades; I used to get 50kb downloads with IOL, now its about 100kb, that was a nice surprise and pretty good in my opinion.

I know... Broadband is still cheaper in most other euro states, but come on! it was only 6 months ago that I had to use a 56k line, which is now completely impractical for modern internet usage. And anyway, broadband options when u live outside of Dublin are fairly limited..

Cheers IOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

They don't really have any choice. It's the nature of broadband. It gets faster. If it doesn't, then people will notice, as it does in every other country. In the states you can get 10 megabit+ DSL/Cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RiotSirC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2594125#post2594125

Well, not all of us have been upgraded, although my exchange has been. Screw Eircom :s

Edit: Screw em to hell :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zfan

Hi, my second time posting here ,basically cos im pissed off with my iolbb.Having been paying for the iolbb plus I looked forward to being upgraded to 2mb/s dl speed. Now heres the problem, everytime I log onto the web config thingy for the Zyxel modem/router it says Im still on 512 downstream/128 upstream. First off I thought ok maybe i should restart the modem so I turned off then back on..still 512/128.I then phoned that tech line 1890.... anyway, same advice; turn off the on-no change, the reset the modem-again no change.I was then told it was probably due to the phone line extension cable being too long from the phone point or noise on the line.Advice givenhone Eircom and ask them to test the line for noise.Surely it should still say downstream 2024 or whatever and not 512? Has anybody been having the same problem and does anybody have any advice?PLEASE!! Thanks...AGAIN !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Well your synched at 512 and not 2048...this could be RADSL!!!

I realise that tech support has been telling people that RADSL has been the cause of all their problems...but this is not true when it is synched at 2048.
    As you are actually synched at 512 then it must be RADSL for real.

What distance are you from the exchange and also what length is your extension and who installed the extension.

Cowboy extensions are always messy and can lead to huge increased in attenuation/noise especially when used with the screwed in wire face plates and not the version requiring a punch/press tool commonly associated with RJ-45 faceplates.

Please provide more detailed info on above or else if is difficult to provide assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Anybody on Eircom Home Starter around Raheny able to tell me what speeds they're getting?

I'm getting about 530 Kbps line speed, download speeds of about 65 Kbs. Once or twice in the past week I've got what I'd be expecting to get on the upgraded line, nearer 1000 Kbs, but it's very rare. Are upgrades complete yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

TRINE
    HI I AM ON THE EIRCOM HOME STARTER I AM ALSO IN RAHENY I HAVE BEEN GETTING 858kbps - 106KB/SEC DOWNLOAD SPEEDS REGULARLY SINCE UPGRADE 90-104 ON BITCOMET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

downloading using the bitorrent network or bitcomet won't represent your real maximum speed, even if there are a lot of users seeding. Best bet for truly examining your max download speed is by downloading something from microsoft.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

try download this and tell us what speeds u get.....

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso

microsoft downloading sites havnt been very stable lately.... also heanet is a bit closer to home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

I'm getting 67 Kb/s with that file.

Thanks for that NANOJO, I'll have to ring Eircom and find out why my "upgrade" has only upgraded me to what my 512 line should almost have been in the first place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

209kb/sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Integra wrote:
    try download this and tell us what speeds u get.....

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso

microsoft downloading sites havnt been very stable lately.... also heanet is a bit closer to home ;)

211Kb/sec I'm on IOL BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

200-230k/sec would be average for a 2mbit dsl line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting 214k/sec with that file on my 2mb line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

iol bb+

Average of 210, got 270 on a download for about 10/15 mins :)

Lovin it.

( Deffo need a better upload tho )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    ADSL Wire: INNER
    Datapump Version: 3.47
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 25.78 28.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 30.64 18.00 dB
    Output Power: 19.51 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 0
    Data Rate: 2048 128

Using the Eircom 3341 modem with the latest 7.4.2r0 firmware. Like alot of people it seems my issue is one of speeds...download speeds, consistent download speeds and the lack of it.

You go to Microsoft.com and get 215k down, you go 2 minutes later you get sub 512k speeds. It's all over the place from website to website...nothing is ever consistent.

I know my line is connected at 2048 and can handle it as i have seen big file downloads pull down 210-217k on 500mb files for testing purposes.

What the hell have €ircom done to everyone?, the service is WORSE now then it was on 512, you could go to most any website and pull down 53k...now is all over the shop.

This is shameful, a scandal and only IRELAND would allow it, rise up and make those calls people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I wonder if eircom now starts enforcing the cap, this month should be interesting

Advertisement