Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I was just having a browse through my modem settings. It confirms that I'm on 128 up and 2048 down.
    These are the noise readings I got from it as well. Could anyone tell me if they are ok? What is the acceptable norm?

Thanks,

Kevin

Upstream
    relative capacity occupation: 20%
    noise margin upstream: 24.0 db
    output power downstream: 9.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 25.0 db

Downstream Noise Margin
    relative capacity occupation: 28%
    noise margin downstream: 13.0 db
    output power upstream: 0.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 41.0 db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

kleefarr,

You had perfectly adequate stats for a 2mbit line AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

CyberGhost wrote:
    I wonder if eircom now starts enforcing the cap, this month should be interesting

It would be the easiest money they make all year(decade?)...but it would be a PR disaster!!!

"Like shooting fish in a barrel"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

hey guys im just finishing eircoms trial i had had ok pings etc, i didnt know about the upgrade and about 2 weeks ago my pings went through the roof no more counterstrike, i reseted my modem today im at 2048mbps/128kps
    now and my pings are worse then before, using irish isp test i got a dl speed of 613kps and upl speed of 96kps,
    what do you guys think about that, i live in ranelagh with a brand new phone line, so it cant be that bad connection as its only coming from rathmines 10 mins away

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

You''ll have to post your line stats.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

constant 217kb/s down. not really tested up yet, bu it's not great. 70-80kb/s from the test's I've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Integra wrote:
    try download this and tell us what speeds u get.....

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso

microsoft downloading sites havnt been very stable lately.... also heanet is a bit closer to home ;)

Maybe someone can help me

I have a 2mb dsl bizjet form Digiweb (Shankill exchange). On downloading the above file from heanet I get 121KB/s. Since the upgrade my line seems to max out at c. 140KB/s. Digiweb say this is quite adequate for a 2Mb line. I have tried the speedtest from irishisptest.ie and it shows eratic speeds of between 600 and 1450 Kb/s. (different times of day, w'day and w'end). I pay extra for a lower contention ratio (24:1) but seem to have an inferior line to most?

I am using a zyxel 660 wireless modem. I live max 1km from excahnge. My modem stats show my line as being 2048d 128u.

Some line stats:
    My upstream noise:
    relative capacity occupation: 0%
    noise margin upstream: 29 db
    output power downstream: 16 db
    attenuation upstream: 14 db

Downstream Noise:
    relative capacity occupation: 0%
    noise margin downstream: 25 db
    output power upstream: 1 db
    attenuation downstream: 23 db

If anyone could offer any comments or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Vito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

vito wrote:
    Maybe someone can help me

Digiweb say this is quite adequate for a 2Mb line.
    Vito

hmmmm, you should be getting around 200-230k/sec for a 2mbit line and 1km isnt that far at all!

Advertisement