Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Upgrades

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I was told that I would'nt get an improvement in my game pings because of interleaving being left on and no increase in upload from 128kb/s, well I am fairly sure I have got at LEAST 20 ping drop from 60ish to 40, server was only half full but I def never got 40 on a server with 6 people b4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've finally been upgraded but my speed seems to hit only http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=1574.4&downloadtime=10.656&KB=2048&recorded=1 196 which is nearly 15kb less then some of the other results - it might be to with the distance to exchange, it'll do I suppose. Can't wait for 4Mb :D My pings are just the same as ever 16 to boards 32 to jolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Jakkass wrote:
    WTF u jokin me im in lucan and i aint updated

HAHA

No I'm not!!

Bloody hell, multiple downloads and it's exceeding what I hoped!

speed3fo.jpg

That was a few minutes ago and they're still going about that speed.

<3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Sutton exchange just got enabled, got cut off from city of heroes.
    Getting 1534 on irishisptest.com, but i'd say that that sites getting a fair amount of traffic at the moment. Only getting 98kb from IGN.com tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can anyone think what could possible be wrong with mine?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2564652&postcount=207

Anyone in a similar situation? Probably Eircom working on the lines still.. but weird!

And a seperate question: i have a 11Mbps wireless modem for connecting to the Net via the laptop. Will i recieve the full speed (200KB approx.) over the Wireless when i am properly connected (on 2MB)?

mang87 wrote:
    HAHA

No I'm not!!

Bloody hell, multiple downloads and it's exceeding what I hoped!

speed3fo.jpg

That was a few minutes ago and they're still going about that speed.

<3
    Ya I sussed that if I did 2 at the sametime I got more then the 216kb/s I should get lol, they do go down slowly but very very slow by 1 at a time lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Nope I'm still on 512kbps, I'm also in Hartstown, who are you with Esat or Eircon?

I'm on on UTV on palmerstown exchange at the moment. not upgraded yet - blacknight speed test is coming up between 400 - 500 kbit still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

My 11MBps wifi in my house consistently averaged about 4-5Mbps over the LAN to a hard-wired computer, so yeah, you should get near the same speed as a wired computer

And also, i downloaded a 23mb file from my eircom ftp space, here are the speed results using DUMeter.
    eircomdown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JNive wrote:
    My 11MBps wifi in my house consistently averaged about 4-5Mbps over the LAN to a hard-wired computer, so yeah, you should get near the same speed as a wired computer
    Cheers mate!

Much appreciated... think i'm gonna go ot bed. As i gotta be up at 9 in the morning!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Was going to post this 1hr ago but boards was down anyway i think iol are still working on the connections a bit because mine has droped out a few times but seems perfect now.

Downloaded 20megs in just 3 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

On UTV. Trim just enabled @ 2Mb :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

erm, ballincollig came online 2 hours ago. just finished a gig and a half of downloads, careface.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

just got upgraded.

Package: IOL Broadband Plus

f00kin sweet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

JNive wrote:
    WOOHOOOO !! Upgraded baby

I've been upgraded too! WOOHOOOO!!!

here are my results
    Eircom / Broadband Home Plus
    Ping [jolt.co.uk] : 34 old, 19 new = WOW!
    Clondalkin : ~2km from exchange
    Time : 04:20 [couldn't even tell the down time sorry :)]
    Test Results

JNive Thanks for posting the results like I asked(in the above format) :)

it's more organized and easier to read :)

now off I go to leech of pron ;)

Internet ruined my life but god damn I love it!

EDIT: OMG everything renders so fast, I can hardly follow the webpages :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Tazzle wrote:
    erm, ballincollig came online 2 hours ago. just finished a gig and a half of downloads, careface.

Rofl. Done about that myself...

Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, Ireland is downloading the internet. The poor bastard won't know what hit it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Ye whores...i still have to be upgraded, i refuse to sleep until i get my 2mb

Ye whores...i still have to be upgraded, i refuse to sleep until i get my 2mb

hold on mate hold on :)

Update on speed i received

irishisptest -> 1.63Mbps ( 209kB/s )
    eircom -> 1.72 Mbps ( 220kB/s with a peak of 245kB/s )

Theoretical Max Throughput = 1.77Mbps / 227kB/s ( 13 % Overhead )

Blah my line is up and down like a yo-yo. This really sucks :( my speeds max out at 185 now! I'm constantly losing torrents and web pages :mad:

• Advertisement

Tazzle wrote:
    Any decent sites/links
    tia

JNive wrote:
    Update on speed i received

irishisptest -> 1.63Mbps ( 209kB/s )
    eircom -> 1.72 Mbps ( 220kB/s with a peak of 245kB/s )

Theoretical Max Throughput = 1.77Mbps / 227kB/s ( 13 % Overhead )

where did you test that? does eircom have a bandwidth test page or something?

Blah my line is up and down like a yo-yo. This really sucks :( my speeds max out at 185 now! I'm constantly losing torrents and web pages :mad:

185 down? can you post results please?(I trust your word, but take the same test as others so you can compare from the same source)
    http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/initialmeter.php

are you far from the exchange?

I'm wondering if lots of people have that problems and if eircom will turn on the interleaving

also guys can you tell difference while browsing the web? I tbh can't

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭BENJIspendlove

bleh, im still waiting, HURRY UP EIRCOM

downloaded a 25mb file from the free eircom webspace that each DSL customer is provided with :-). probably the best indication of the pure line capacity

we have webspace? i didnt know we got that, bastards never told me

ah cool :)

and how do you calculate the overhead percentage?

CyberGhost wrote:
    185 down? can you post results please?(I trust your word, but take the same test as others so you can compare from the same source)
    http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/initialmeter.php
    No difference in browsing the web. I've been disconnected and reconnected now about 15 times in the last 20 minutes and it seems to have stopped now I get no more time outs and my torrents are OK ( not good speeds but not many seeds ) All in all I think whatever the hell was wrong with my line seems to be OK now and my speeds has improved not 215 but 206 still better then either 196 or 185 http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=1654.4&downloadtime=8.484&KB=1713.375&recorded=1
    I'll check again tommorow because I think the upgrading is messing up my line. Anyway I'm knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

How do you guys know how far you are from the exchange?

• Advertisement

a very long measuring tape

Advertisement