Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea could still break the 100 point mark.

• 02-04-2005 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Of course, they'd have to beat all of their remaining opponents, while still focusing on success in Europe, but it's a slight possibility.

Reckon that'd top Arsenal's unbeaten season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt they will. I reclon they'll win it in the next 4-5 games. they'll probably win the next 2 then the league will be more or less sewn up.Then they'll start to dop points here and there while resting players and the foot will be off the gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Draupnir wrote:
    No

Of course it would :D

finishing with a point more than Arsenal did last year would top that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

100 points would be good... I don't know if it'd be as big an accomplishment as Arsenal's unbeaten run though. It's difficult to compare them - they're hardly like-for-like, really comes down to what you place emphasis on: more consistencies with less losses or more victories with less consistencies.

If you finish with more points than Arsenal did last season than clearly you were more consistently brilliant over the course of the season. The objective is to get as many points as you can, not avoid defeat. You could draw 38 games and get relegated, would that be a good season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its not about points.
    United's point tally of 92 beat Arsenals unbeaten run, does that make it more special?
    No, because going unbeaten is somethign special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As people are fond of often pointing out - the league tables don't lie. So if they got 100 points it certainly would surpass any achievement of 98, 99 or 92 points etc.

Bunch of begrudgers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Win 3 more games and it's all over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would have to disagree with you there p.pete, i think that the unbeaten season is something that will not be repeated for some long years to come. 100 points out of a possible 114 while an excellent achievement, would still allow a team to lose 4 games and have a couple of draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Man Utd: Champions previous season, NOT undefeated (points don't matter).
    Arsenal: Champions last season, undefeated (points don't matter).
    Chelsea: Champions this season, NOT undefeated (points don't matter).

As already pointed out, any team could draw all their games and get relegated. The BIG difference is Arsenal went undefeated last season in the Premership and WON the title. This can never be beaten, only matched.
    Sure it can be matched with a higher number of points and this will be better but you can only remain undefeated once!
    If you can remember back to 1992 when Arsenal won the title with George Graham, we only lost one game that season (Chelsea 2-1 Away, I think it was).

The gap between the top 4 clubs in the Premership and the rest is getting bigger and bigger and if it doesn't change, will lead to another "Scottish League" where the top teams keep beating the rest of the league and the top 4 teams battle it out every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Would have to disagree with you there p.pete, i think that the unbeaten season is something that will not be repeated for some long years to come. 100 points out of a possible 114 while an excellent achievement, would still allow a team to lose 4 games and have a couple of draws.
    You're entitled to be wrong :p If only for that match against Man City, what could have been...

TBH I think they deserve tremendous credit for their defence this season, only 11 let in so far and on course to beat Liverpools best season of 17 I think it was goals conceded.

Not saying its not an amazing achievement, but theres something special about going unbeaten.

Not losing in an entire year.

I tell ya, I think next season we're gona have three/four teams all beating the 100 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

getting to the 100 point mark would just show how crap the EPL is ! Apart from the top 4 teams the rest of the teams are very poor. Shelbourne could give a good run for money for most of those crap sides. I think next years EPL might prove very boring.

I think next years EPL will be incredibly tight.
    Look at the run Chelsea United and Arsenal are on, don't forget about Liverpool with a decent squad next year.
    Its going to be a win every single game scenario, its going to be nuts.

Shelbourne could give a good run for money for most of those crap sides.

I think you're losing the run of youself now, Shels would struggle and maybe get a couple of draws a season in the PL.

PHB wrote:
    Not saying its not an amazing achievement, but theres something special about going unbeaten.

Not losing in an entire year.

I tell ya, I think next season we're gona have three/four teams all beating the 100 mark.

They lost to Chelsea, Boro, Man U and Kiev. I think this whole 'unbeaten run' is the most over rated achievement in football, it's a technicality. What would you rather in two games, win one and lose one or draw both? It's all about how much points you finish with. The team who finished with the most amount of points in the 20 team English top flight is the one who can say they had the best season. If after this season that's Chelsea, than that's Chelsea :)

Yeah, well I'm talking about just the premiership.
    I think theres a thing about invincibility.
    Nobody could beat them, nobody.
    Chelsea have been beaten, they have on one day being worse than another team this year.
    Last year, Arsenal were always at least on par or better than them. Nobody was ever better than them.
    Thats something amazing.

I'm not saying that its not about the points in relation to how well you do, but special achievements aren't j ust about points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Then they also lost to Inter.

The unbeaten run is only related to the premiership which is an amazing achievement.
    PHB wrote:
    Last year, Arsenal were always at least on par or better than them. Nobody was ever better than them.
    Thats something amazing.

Sums it up prefectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Going a season unbeaten was a wonderful achievement . Breaking the 100 point barrier would also be a wonderful achievemnt too. IMO the team with the highest points has had the best season . In theory Both could happen the same season i.e. a team could go unbeaten and get 95 points and be pipped to the titile by a team getting 100 points. Which would be the better achievement? For me it would be the title winners.

PHB wrote:
    Yeah, well I'm talking about just the premiership.
    I think theres a thing about invincibility.
    Nobody could beat them, nobody.
    Chelsea have been beaten, they have on one day being worse than another team this year.
    Thats something amazing.

I'm not saying that its not about the points in relation to how well you do, but special achievements aren't j ust about points

Simply not true, the difference is minimul. Take the one game Chelsea lost this season, a disputed penalty went against them. Last year Arsenal needed an even more disputed penalty v Portsmouth to salvage a draw, and of course, a last minute penalty miss in Old Trafford. They were hardly 'invincible' and you can't just disregard other competitions, they lost to three premiership clubs last season (Now in fairness, the Boro one was with their reserves).

Now, if they went unbeaten in all competitions, than fair enough. But if they finished on less points than Chelsea get this season, than Chelseas is the best achievement. Throw in a European throphy and the seasons on another planet to Arsenals last year. Like I said, would you rather win one and lose one or draw both?

• Advertisement

I'd rather win both :)
    But to anwser you question, I'd rather win one and lose won just from the point of view of points, but from team moral two draws might be better, I don't know I'm not a manager.

All I'm saying is to me, Chelsea getting above 100 points isn't as impressive as Arsenals unbeaten run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

I think this whole 'unbeaten run' is the most over rated achievement in football, it's a technicality.

even the hardcore united fans are admitting it was a special achievment cmon just join in the arsenal praise for god sake and let the bitterness go

Bitter? I'm not a Man U fan, I'd rather Arsenal won it than Man U, what is there to be bitter about for me?

When was the last time you EVER heard a MU fan saying Arsenal's achievement last year was superb?
    All my mates are UTD fans and all I get all the time is
    "Did you win the European Cup?"
    "Greatest team EVER?"
    etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    I think next season we're gona have three/four teams all beating the 100 mark.

Well considering there are 114 points on offer for each team, and each team finishing in the top 4 would have to have played the other 3 of the top 4, someone will have to have dropped points.

What your statement roughly implies is that the top 3/4 teams will not lose to anyone below the top 4, at all.

You'd get some good odds on that in a bookies, and you'd be fairly disappointed 2 weeks into the season.

Thats the thing, I think its gona be a season like that.
    Its going to be a constant title race from the start.
    Utd's run would normally win the league but Chelsea have bettered it.
    Its gona be a cup final every game from the start, and I think its gona be incredibly tight.
    granted I doubt 3/4 teams will actually break the hundred, but they are all gona come close I think.

PHB wrote:
    Utd's run would normally win the league but Chelsea have bettered it.

It may have escaped your notice but Utd are 3rd.

And let's hope they finish third too!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Would any of the past teams of greatness (eg. Liverpool in 70s/80s) have broken the 100pts barrier if there had been 3pts for a win?

• Advertisement
Advertisement