Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyer and Bowyer? WTF?

• 02-04-2005 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I mean come on.

http://hem.bredband.net/jenslindmark/bowyer_vs_dyer.mpg (4.5MB)

(I think the link is ok to post - mods please remove it if it is not.)

This is a team with serious, serious problems. First Bellamy, now this. What the hell are they feeding these guys.

An absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I only just read about this on the BBC site, I was just about to search for a video. Thanks for saving me the bother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder, and this is pure speculation on my part, nothing more, mods, if you feel it goes too far then please remove it, but I wonder, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility, if Bowyer said something racist to Dyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

seansouth wrote:
    I wonder, and this is pure speculation on my part, nothing more, mods, if you feel it goes too far then please remove it, but I wonder, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility, if Bowyer said something racist to Dyer.
    First thing i thought of, watched the clip of the press conference, both bowyer and dyer apolguised to the fans, chairman etc. but not to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bazH wrote:
    First thing i thought of, watched the clip of the press conference, both bowyer and dyer apolguised to the fans, chairman etc. but not to each other.
    there somthing going on between them 2 maybe its been boiling for months and finally broke today on the pitch

they never said sorry to each other :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

As Rodney Marsh once said:
    "I don’t think Lee Bowyer is racist at all, I think he would stamp on anybody’s head."

That's a mental video though, remember how everybody thought Souness would improve discipline at the club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They're a couple of twats and they need to be ****ed out of the club soonest possible. ****ing ridiculous behaviour. Morons.

i say the Newcastle fans are disgraced by Lee bowyer
    Newcastle resued him from Leeds and this how he repays them :(

Didnt he play for West Ham before the Toon,

I'd say both will go in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Does anyone remember the famous bust-up between Bruce Grobbelaar and Steve Mcmanaman during the merseyside derby back in 1993?

I'll give you one guess who the manager of Liverpool was at the time.

Interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pigman II wrote:
    Does anyone remember the famous bust-up between Bruce Grobbelaar and Steve Mcmanaman during the merseyside derby back in 1993?

Interesting....

Hardly somethign which you can bring up and blame souness, I mean 2 similar incidents 12 years apart is just coincidence.

In that case what do we read into the two 4-3 games in successive seasons? other than both teams having shocking defences :D

• Advertisement

I remember a David Batty / Le Saux incident in a europeon game a few years back ~ 1996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My view of it is as follows

1. Some mouthing off between the 2 and they square up
    2. Bowyer go to head butt Dyer
    3. Dyer puts his arms around the back of Bowyers neck
    4. Bowyer throws a Right Hook punch and lands on Dyers face
    5. They tangle
    6. Bowyer throws another Right Hook punch - not sure if it connects
    6. Dyer throws a Right Hook punch at Bowyer
    7. The other players break it up

To me, it looks as if Dyer was defending himself

bazH wrote:
    I remember a David Batty / Le Saux incident in a europeon game a few years back ~ 1996

Any way we can pin that one on Souness aswell? :)

btw im by no means a souness fan, just no need to be implying sinister things go on at his teams.

did any one see the news conference after the match
    looks like bowyer will be in big trouble he's the one who through the first punch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The look on Souness' face in the press conderence was brilliant. He looked absolutely FURIOUS.

Interesting how the 2 lads apologised to the world, but not to each other. No doubt we'll be reading all sort of dross about this for the next few days, and we'll be hearing about racism etc etc etc. Has it escaped everyone that the two of them were mighty p*ssed off with a brutal display, and one said something stupid like - "had you not given the ball away........................"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:
    Has it escaped everyone that the two of them were mighty p*ssed off with a brutal display, and one said something stupid like - "had you not given the ball away........................"?

Very suprised. Especially since they didnt apoligise to each other. Its obvious they both dislike each other for a specific reason and thats why it all flared up.

http://img185.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img185&image=525790864hq.jpg

lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Out of interest, why is it obvious they dislike each other?
    Especially since they didnt apoligise to each other

True enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Out of interest, why is it obvious they dislike each other?

The slaps might be a subtle hint ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Stekelly wrote:
    Any way we can pin that one on Souness aswell? :)

Didn't he go on to manage Blackburn? :eek:

Either that, or Voodoo. ;)

Anyway, did anyone else see Stephen Elliot's sending off? I thought that was f*cking hilarious. After blatantly handling the ball, he tried to pretend he'd been hit in the stomach with it by rolling around on the ground. Genius!

mr_angry wrote:
    Didn't he go on to manage Blackburn? :eek:

Either that, or Voodoo. ;)

Anyway, did anyone else see Stephen Elliot's sending off? I thought that was f*cking hilarious. After blatantly handling the ball, he tried to pretend he'd been hit in the stomach with it by rolling around on the ground. Genius!

It was Stephen Taylor that got sent off. Looks like he'll get a guest spot on "extra's from Platoon" on Soccer AM next week. :)

The fight seems to have started when Dyer was running back towards his own half with the ball. Bowyer was calling for it and lost the head when the ball wasnt passed forward to him, but instead passed backwards, seeming to indicate that they were accepting defeat instead of pushing forward. Dyer didnt seem to want to pass to Bowyer at any stage. They are talking bout it on MOTD now. Obviously a problem going on for a while in this match at least. Maybe something thats long running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

in my opinion if anyone should go it should be bowyer. Obviously nobody knows what it was over or anything but look at his previous record. He's given one more chance at a top club and look what he does. How stupid can someone be, he was an unbelievable talent for Leeds the season they progressed in the champions league.
    Dyer on the other hand, although he has a reputation for thinkin he's a big time charlie and so on i dont think it would be in his nature for something like this to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I think Dyer was a little unlucky to be sent off. He did go to throw a punch at the end but there was fairly extreme provocation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was sure Souness was going to clout Bowyer as he came off. An action I would have appluaded and laughed at in equal measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i reckon Bowyer is gone. Dyer might survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Is it just me or does bowyer appear to say 'fcuking ni**er' as he is dragged away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Did nobody tell these pair, that Friday was April fools' day??

Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Personally I was delighted to see it, #(as long as there was nothing racist invovled). I love to see a bit of handbags and fists on the field. There was hardly any tackling in the arsenal norwich game, Its all a bit airy fairy these days.. players not giving a toss etc

People would pay good money to see a few more newcastle players take lumps out of each other:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Bit of a joke alright. They were down to 8 players after that, no? With 2 peno's given away.To see two players on the same team having it out, does not say much at all about the club. Wouldn't have liked to be in the dressing room after that. Souness is a nutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:

Interesting....
    Didn't Souness say in the press conference it was the first time he'd ever witnessed anything like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The MotD crew did a good job of trying to explain it.

I reckon I could've been just Lee getting highly frustrated that Dyer wouldnt pass it to him on several occassions when he was in good positions. Bowyer probably made a passing-remark to Dyer and Dyer reacted in the way he did by facing up and encouraging Bowyer to square up to him.

Will they go? No way. They won't get rid of important players that they need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Will they go? No way. They won't get rid of important players that they need!

Souness will if they don't tow the line , like bellamy for example. Without knowing the full facts it did appear Bowyer was more at fault but Dyer played his part IMO.

I don't condone what they did bit having seen the highlights of the game last night I,m not really surprised they were both "high" . Some of the refs decisions before the incident were appaling and I would imagine that was a factor in the raised tensions and emotions. There must have been something else for it to develop as it did but I think the frustaion caused by bad referring was a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

johnny giles said everyone has arguments on the field but it never comes to that. hes right, look at the abuse schmeichel gave bruce and pallister! but it never came to blows. i see arguments between team players at junior level and it never comes to blows. in my view bowyer was right out of order throwing that punch. he remains one of those players that cant be trusted/controlled.

on a lighter note , in the press conference afterwards, god bless the poor woman who have to give souey that cup of tea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I cant see Bowyer going, Souness likes him, and Bowyer has been playing well again this season. Dyer on the other hand is a total poser, has been living on his reputation (which I have no idea how he got in the first place) for too long. Its been years since he played with any sort of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

why oh ****ing why :( ........ always Newcastle :mad: .

being discussed on sky sports now

• Advertisement

Its been years since he played with any sort of form.

He's been playing out of his skin for the past month.

andy gray says bowyer will go. i think ian dowie summed it up, he said he had more respect from his team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    He's been playing out of his skin for the past month.
    Has he? I didnt notice, granted though I would hardly be glued to Newcastles performances.

But even at that, he hasnt had a great season as a whole, and didnt last year either. He also has a poor attitude and seems to cause trouble his fair share of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bowyer is such a scumbag. You just have to look at his past and realise that this guy is total trash.

Has he? I didnt notice, granted though I would hardly be glued to Newcastles performances.

But even at that, he hasnt had a great season as a whole, and didnt last year either. He also has a poor attitude and seems to cause trouble his fair share of trouble.

I Agree he was Dyre by name an nature up to a month ago but Souness has him firing on all cylinders since then. If Souness has to get rid of one I think it will be Bowyer but I can't see a scramble to buy him. They will probably both survive unless Bowyer himself is reluctanat to accept his punishment as he was with Leeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

an absolute disgrace..what sort of example is that setting to kids who adore these Footballers :confused: Bowyer is clearly at fault here and i wouldnt be one bit suprised if he got the sack from Newcastle :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bowyer is scum, but to be fair, this kind of thing and worse goes on in lots of sports every week (ice hockey being an entertaining example :), but rugby being closer to home) Maybe not infighting, but watching sky news imply that they should be charged by the police is cringeworthy :) as is witnessing the "think of the children" brigade.

Sure footballers antics will become the scapegoat that videogames have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

its not the violence people are shocked at, its the fact they are team "mates".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I cant see Bowyer going, Souness likes him, and Bowyer has been playing well again this season. Dyer on the other hand is a total poser, has been living on his reputation (which I have no idea how he got in the first place) for too long. Its been years since he played with any sort of form.

At last somebody on my line of thinking. Dyer is full of himself the little runt, I can't stand him and he should have been fcuked out when he refused to play right wing.

Bowyer is a scumbag but there's no premadonna about him and he's a gutsy player which I can respect. O'Leary's ironically quoted on the villa homepage before this match saying how Bowyer has settled into Newcastle and gotten over his troublesome past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

looked like it was bowyer throwing all the punches, suprised he even has a job in football these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stekelly wrote:
    It was Stephen Taylor that got sent off. Looks like he'll get a guest spot on "extra's from Platoon" on Soccer AM next week. :)
    That was hilarious....he looked like he got shot from the crowd. Was splitting my sides until the Bowyer/Dyer incident and that was even more hilarious. Bowyer looked like he was on something when he was getting pulled away.

Glad Houllier had the sense not to sign him, can you imagine him and SG in the same team?

The press conference after, Sou said he believes Dyer that he didn't throw any punches, so it looks like Bowyer is on his bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like both players will be staying for the moment http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4405841.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Newcastle have confirmed Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer will both stay at the club despite fighting each other during the 3-0 defeat to Aston Villa on Saturday.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4405841.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Looks like Bowyer is being blamed

Newcastle will appeal against Kieron Dyer's sending off on Saturday for brawling with team-mate Lee Bowyer.

The fight between the pair erupted with nine minutes to go in the 3-0 defeat against Aston Villa at St James' Park and both received a red card.

Souness confirmed the two midfielders "most definitely" have a future at Newcastle, and that the club will appeal against Dyer's sending off.

When asked whether the club will appeal, Souness told Sky Sports: "We have on behalf of Kieron."

Bowyer appeared to be the aggressor in the ugly scenes at St James' Park, which could be taken into consideration by the Football Association when they assess Dyer's appeal.

The club also confirmed that Bowyer has been fined six weeks' wages for instigating the scrap.

Bowyer and Dyer shook hands outside the Magpies' training ground, and Souness revealed the pair had "a laugh" about the incident since Saturday.

"I can tell you that they've been speaking to each other over the weekend, they've had a laugh about it," Souness said.

"Both regret what happened and it's something we want to put behind us."

When asked if both have a future at the club, Souness replied: "Most definitely."

Newcastle could be without both players, who have been in fine form recently, for their FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United later this month.

The Magpies, however, are also in the UEFA Cup and have a good opportunity to land their first silverware since 1969.

Souness added: "We will be focused on trying to do our best between now and the end of the season, we've got everything to play for and the only important thing is to put this behind us."

• Advertisement
Advertisement