Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb and Interleaving.

Options
  • 02-04-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I originally posted this in the Broadband forum but it got no replies. Maybe here might be a better place for it:
    Right.

Now I have been pushing since about the first week Digiweb started reselling DSL to have interleaving turned to low or off. They have told me time and time again that they have made it company policy to leave it on high. Now I have also been told that with my line (1Mb adsl) eircom will not change interleaving to low. (?) I may be wrong but I get the distinct impression that the policy was agreed through lack of action rather than an informed decision. How come they are the only ones in Ireland to have interleaving this high?

I am told that there would probably be people currently on adsl that would lose their service if interleaving were lowered, which, while it may be true, I have a hard time accepting especially since initial line test criteria were so high. Also, I seriously doubt that this has even been tested.

So, I just want to get peoples opinions, informed or not, as to the pro's and con's of keeping interleaving on high. Is this a misguided, miseducated decision or a solid policy aimed at ensuring maximum coverage at the cost of customer satisfaction?

I ping boards.ie at about 64ms. What does an eircom or esat business (adsl) line ping at?

Also, I notice more and more that programs and files I want to download are being legally distributed on highly effective file sharing networks like bittorrent. (Downloading 3dmark05 was a real pain at 30kbps.) So I'm all on for this upgrade to 3MB that is coming shortly but what site gives you 3MB of upload speed all to your self? The fact that Digiweb throttle P2P sharing means that the next generation of file distribution is pretty much out of bounds. What the hell can I do with my new shiny 3MB if the fastest way of distributing files is essetially cut off?

I know the easiest way to protest bad service is to cancel the contract but I have 5 lines with digiweb used for business during the day and 3 as home connections during the evening. Cancelling would be a real pain in the ass but now that IBB are coming to Dundalk with their synchronous lines I think I may have to. This type of service is so far beneath par that I cannot justify spending money on it any longer. But just sorting these two issues would have their service just as good as their competitors.

Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

If Digiweb are reselling the lines I doubt they have an option to adjust the interleaving on the DSLAM. Eircom just configure the DSLAM to send your traffic over a different PVC than their traffic and it ends up on Digiwebs network.

The two top packages on Eircom both have high interleaving enabled (50ms) and the bottom two have it on low (20ms).

As for bit torrent - are you using a dsl modem that's running NAT? If so have you configured it to forward the bit torrent ports to your PC?

I don't think you'll have any problems finding servers to fill a 3Mb connection, I get up to 75Mb/s on some sites in the UK/Ireland and 10-20Mb/s from the US.

Advertisement