Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you Share the IE cache, cookies and OE store folders over a network?

Options
  • 02-04-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Just waiting on the new computer to arrive before setting up my wireless network. Already have a Netgear D834G wireless BB modem/Router and WG111 PCI wireless card. Router will connect to the new PC via ethernet, wireless card is for the current PC.

I was wondering whether it is possible to share the IE6 cookies, cache folders etc and the Outlook Express store folder over the network between the 2 computers. If both PC's share the aforementioned folders there would be no syncronisation issues. Would that assumption be correct. Is this feasible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Calibos wrote:
    Just waiting on the new computer to arrive before setting up my wireless network. Already have a Netgear D834G wireless BB modem/Router and WG111 PCI wireless card. Router will connect to the new PC via ethernet, wireless card is for the current PC.

I was wondering whether it is possible to share the IE6 cookies, cache folders etc and the Outlook Express store folder over the network between the 2 computers. If both PC's share the aforementioned folders there would be no syncronisation issues. Would that assumption be correct. Is this feasible?

Cookies -> No these are belong to a user of a computer, no point sharing them as everyone has different cookies.

Cache -> Yes possible, using a Proxy Caching Server. I don't know if that router will allow you to specify a Cache Server, this would be a standalone PC. This would require a PC to be on all the time. Alternativly you could set up Gateway software on a standalone with proxy caching enabled and bridge that the the router and have that PC as the middle man, will be double protection against hackers, two firewalls. WinGate is software that can do this, but in my opinion its all a bit complicated and for what you want to do it not worth it especially having broadband and all.

As for Outlook, yes it probably is possible alright, map a drive and point store folder to there but as you mention Sync problems when both go downloading same time, but you might get away with it. Try it see how it works.
    Alternativaly there is email server software that can do this but probably quite expensive as its mostly corporations that use that.

hope this helps.

Webmonkey

Advertisement