Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitTorrent

Options
  • 02-04-2005 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Don't worry, this is not the usual question about "waaa, my dl speed is too small, please someone come around to my house and fix it for me".

Basically, I've managed to finagle BitTornado into dling at an unprecendented 65kB/s (considering I'm more used to the 20's and below). But my traffic light is still at yellow. I'm connected to all L's, no R's, and my download speed from my bb provider is 512. I'm still more than happy with my speed so there's no reason to worry why I'm still showing yellow, it's just the situation I'm in, right? Or is there more I can do? Is 65 a pretty crappy speed? (Actually, don't answer that one, it's not going to make me feel any better :p )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

um u getting 65kb with 512kb connection? what provider is this

u need to forward ports if you have a router, i think its 6998~6999 or 7~8 i dunno.
    get bitcomet, search in google. I think its the best

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

Considering you're on 512 down that makes the theoretical max 64, so yes it's very good. If it's yellow all the time you might not have forwarded the incomming port to your machine. You need to do that to enable incomming connections, it's a good idea, otherwise you will generally get poor performance.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If you want to get the light green you need to first allow the firewall to let the program have access to the internet. Second if your using azureus you can get a higher download if you limit the upload speed. If you have 128kb upload you should limit the speed to 10kb and at 156kb you can limit it to 20. Slow speeds are usually caused by the upstream interfering with the downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks for the move, makes more sense here.

Sounds like I need to look at the incoming port. I'm using BitTornado which has a port range in its settings. I changed that range to something slightly more manageable and then forward that range to the same ip addresss I see when I do ipconfig in a dos window. I kinda assumed that was the incoming port (the port that BitTornado "listens" on is within that range), and it was when i managed to forward the port range that my speed shot up.

I'm happy with the speed and all, but I'm just a little concerned that my upload speed is capping at about 6-8 and I'm being judged a leech by the torrent sites. (for anyone using BitTornado, I'm using the "unlimited" setting for uploads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

With the exception of IBB most ISP's have crappy upload speed's. I've usually got in excess of 175kb/s on my own BT client yet don't upload more than 20kb/s a second as any higher usually dampens my download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I wouldn't fret too much about the light with those speeds.

Your connection is 512 kilo-bits (small b) per second
    Bit Torrent displays Kilo-Bytes (big B) per second

There are 8 bits in a Byte. 512kb divided by 8 equals 64kB. At 65kB/s you're getting one extra kB/s free!

But non-green lights are usually caused by firewalls.

I'm using Bit Tornado myself and find the "DSL/Cable slow" setting to be the right balance up and down. Decent upload capacity is rare in Ireland as most packages are asymmetrical. To do the decent thing you just have to leave those torrents open for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, I usually wait for the share rating to hit about 1.2, then turn it off. Of course, I've been dling like a demon these last few days, so once things settle down, I should be able to leave the feeds open longer. What sort of share rating do you normally get, milltown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

i have noticed the yello light looked up a few FAQ's and seems attributed to firewall settings, I'm with IBB and can normally get good upload speeds
    of about 112-118 kb/s, depending on the file etc etc

Advertisement