Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you call this thread mindless spam??

• 02-04-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241388

I def would have found this thread interesting.......it's like Moriarty is on some mission to slim down 50% of threads, I admit I am new here but never seen so many closed threads on any forum I have ever being on.
    Fourteen (14) closed threads in little over 24 hours.........

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Welcome Newb :) Hes doing his job and I feel he is doing it right - a lot of the threads are just repeats or irrelevant. Also, the two main topics you need right now are:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241404 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241383

and a advance warning: This thread will most likely be locked.

- Sully

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nothing wrong with filling eachother in on where is upgraded or not.
    Having said that there are other threads on the subject but the guy labelled his thread upgraded exchanges so i dont see a prob with it.
    I hate folk calling anyone a noob or newb .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A man with a mission. :rolleyes:

I guess if it's not interesting to Moriarty then it can't be interesting to anyone else. That is the power of the moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Exactly Dcully, when my internet was down earlier I phoned up to complain and I also mentioned the upgrade and ya man told me it was being done on the 8th April now I have a letter here telling me it is being done tonight which I received 3 days ago.
    I just think that some threads are closed too early, others ya fair enough but not so many.
    It was even at the stage where I asked for some advice in a diff thread and a mod replied and said he was scared to go off topic and upset Moriarty!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

This is not a democracy.

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    Welcome Newb :) Hes doing his job and I feel he is doing it right - a lot of the threads are just repeats or irrelevant. Also, the two main topics you need right now are:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241404 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241383

and a advance warning: This thread will most likely be locked.

- Sully

The second link blatantly contravenes the first.
    Please keep all talk about the upgrades to this thread.

EDIT:
    Welcome Newb :)
    Thats a high horse you've got there. :rolleyes: His nickname is Anarchist. You oldie you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Look Anarchist,

Most of those(if not all) were started with questions requiring answers already answered over the last week.

If people choose to be ignorant and not read through past threads and feel like all the members here have a sole purpose to answer the same question..over and over and over again....then they deserve to have the thread locked.

If it were not for Mods then this place would go out of control and no one would be able to find/look for an answer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Anarchist wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241388

I def would have found this thread interesting.......it's like Moriarty is on some mission to slim down 50% of threads, I admit I am new here but never seen so many closed threads on any forum I have ever being on.
    Fourteen (14) closed threads in little over 24 hours.........
    That is just one of the great examples of people mindlessly starting new threads. If that guy had bothered to look at existing threads, he would have noticed there were already several threads on the topic of the upgrades, and his post could EASILY have fitted into any one of those.

Scan back over the last few weeks, and you'll see the sheer amount of threads being started on this topic, most of which are along the lines of "Hey, did you hear that we're getting upgraded to 2meg!!!" or "So, anyone upgraded yet" or "When will i be upgraded", and lastly "Will the caps be changed".

A lot of those questions have been asked in LOTS of different threads. And thats why they keep getting closed. Its a waste of space and time. Those exact questions can ALL be dealt with in one thread, and so the excess 20+ threads can be closed, before they overwhelm the broadband forum with repetition.

In short, keep it up moriarty. Hopefully once the upgrade gets done, you can finally take a well deserved break.

EDIT: My first comment is directed towards that link you quoted, not your post :p I just realised that the objecty of my bitching might be mis-interpreted.

And i've never seen so many duplicated threads on one forum either... so no wonder we have so many closed threads. I have to admit, he's probably got some kind of boards.ie record for thread closing at the moment, but its all to be expected with the amount of junk threads around.

EDIT2: @Kleefarr: The second thread does not contradict the first one. There are two main issues at the moment with ADSL. 1) The upgrading, and 2) The recent downtime on many exchanges. Thats it. Therefore only 2 threads are needed. Possibly three, if you count caps as a second issue, but really they can and should be dealt with in the upgrading thread.

diarmo wrote:
    Look Anarchist,

Most of those(if not all) were started with questions requiring answers already answered over the last week.

If people choose to be ignorant and not read through past threads and feel like all the members here have a sole purpose to answer the same question..over and over and over again....then they deserve to have the thread locked.

If it were not for Mods then this place would go out of control and no one would be able to find/look for an answer!!!

Look diarmo

You could apply that to everyone that has been on Boards.ie over the last 6 months at least. There will have been some topic on some thread that will have discussed the question before, but then again, not all discussions come up with the answers that one is looking for or the answers that have been given have not been understood, for a varity of reasons. In that case, people are generally intitled to ask the same question hoping to get a more complete answer. ;)

kleefarr wrote:
    Look diarmo

You could apply that to everyone that has been on Boards.ie over the last 6 months at least. There will have been some topic on some thread that will have discussed the question before, but then again, not all discussions come up with the answers that one is looking for or the answers that have been given have not been understood, for a varity of reasons. In that case, people are generally intitled to ask the same question hoping to get a more complete answer. ;)
    Yes, i agree 100%. Sometimes questions need to be asked again, because the situation is slightly different. BUT, and its a big but, anyone who starts a second topic about the same issue at the same time the first topic is active is going to get directed towards the first topic. And the second topic will die. So why the feck does this BB upgrade somehow be allowed to have 20+ concurrent threads all about the 4 main questions i mentioned earlier?

• Advertisement

EDIT2: @Kleefarr: The second thread does not contradict the first one. There are two main issues at the moment with ADSL. 1) The upgrading, and 2) The recent downtime on many exchanges. Thats it. Therefore only 2 threads are needed. Possibly three, if you count caps as a second issue, but really they can and should be dealt with in the upgrading thread.

So your telling me that a thread, posted by the moderator, that states and I quote "Please keep all talk about the upgrades to this thread." and the second thread discussing the downtime of exchanges due to the upgrade has no relevance to first? :eek:

4 main questions i mentioned earlier?

Should there then be four main threads instaed of one (or two as has been suggested)? Or are we still keeping it all to the one thread? Gets a bit confusing sometimes (especially after a jar or two). Anyway, how many moderators are in this forum?

Hey, did you hear that we're getting upgraded to 2meg!!!" or "So, anyone upgraded yet" or "When will i be upgraded", and lastly "Will the caps be changed".
    I don't think anyone can justify needing 20+ threads for those 4 questions, even 2 threads would be pushing it.

Hell, the answers are: Yes. No. Soon. Maybe (and some ISP's already seem to have increased).

From my reading, thats the answers for all 4 questions.

I don't think anyone can justify needing 20+ threads for those 4 questions, even 2 threads would be pushing it.QUOTE]

So were basically down to the "Please keep all talk about the upgrades to this thread." Originally posted by the moderator. No need for the other "main thread" then. All questions should be answered there. Tough luck if it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sweet jesus, it's like primary school all over again.

1) The exchanges going down were an entirely seperate issue from the planned bandwidth upgrades. Something in eircoms network broke earlier today.

2) Anyone calling somone else a newb/noob/n00b instantly goes down in my estimations rather considerably. Just because somone has recently signed up here doesn't mean they have nothing to contribute. If I see that shít again, I will ban whoever said it. We were all new once, try to remember that.

3) I'm up to my fúcking eyeballs in shíte in this forum. I don't want cheering-on by one side and bickering by the other. You're both as bad as each other. The topic of this forum is not The Grand and Benevolent Illustrious Leader, it's broadband. If you have a problem with my moderating, take it to the Feedback forum. Groupies - just like troublemakers - will be shot on sight, and then banned.

Now, go forth and behave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement