Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surprised no-one has posted this already

• 03-04-2005 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

He just wants to play international football dont think he cares about ireland from reading that so why would we want him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ooh i dunno. not a big fan of the rule change. i know he scored today and plays in the premiership but do we really need him? i wonder if Ireland werent tipped to top the group would he switch from france to us?

i dont really like the way players say "Well i want to play for my country but i'm dyin to play international football and me grannies irish so ill go with them instead coz my country wont take me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

bizmark wrote:
    He just wants to play international football dont think he cares about ireland from reading that so why would we want him?

We've capped Aldridge, Morrison, Macken etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i dont think his heart is in it so NO. were not that stuck

I don't see how people can be against him playing and yet pro the players I mentioned plus all the others through the years. Just because we're not his first choice doesn't mean he wont give 100% for us, 'Boro wasn't his boyhood club side but he gives 100% for them. I really can't see how you can pro that group of players and against him playing for Ireland, it's exactly the same thing, unless someone can point out the difference to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

He'd be a good addition...Come on,there cant be that much of a problem with him choosing to play for Ireland as a 2nd choice. What exactly is the problem you guys see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I don't actually know of this player. Is he any good?

If I was Kerr I would be careful about choosing him over another Irish player of similar ability. It could ruin moral in the squad. We should really only look to using foriegn players when we are desperate as it could stifle development of the game here. However, our top 4 players (Given, Keanex2, and Duff) are Irish, so I don't see any harm in at least seriously considering him at the moment.

[EDIT] Speaking of moral, wouldn't it be great if a French man scored for us against France :)

He's a left back, fairly decent. Quick enough, good crosser and takes a decent free, I remember him scoring one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

In that case, what's the harm in leaving Harte in the cold (sunshine of Spain) for a bit longer ;). I think Kerr prefers his premiership players. Also, O'Shea never manages to stay in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Let's be honest here. VERY few of the english players we've had over the years would have bothered with Ireland had they be ven the chance by England.

Plus I think it's very hypocritical (sp?) of us toturn around and tell someone like this to piss off because Ireland isnt his first choice.The fact of the mater is, he's a decent player and we should make sure we have as strong a squad as possible going into every match. Theres alwatys as few make-weights in the squad, so why not replace one of them with a better player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think he'd make a great addition to the squad.
    We have quite a few full backs already, and I wouldn't like to see him capped and then never get his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He'd walk into our first team (left back is our weakest link imo) but I don't want to see him called up. I'd back him if he ever did get a call up just like I back the likes of Morrison but atm I'd prefer if we only actually had Irish players playing for us.

The main reason I don't like seeing these type of players capped is the view the foreign public take of our country. England seem to be the only country that joke about it though. He's more Irish than Deco is Portuguese anyway. :) Still, whether we need him or not let stick with the actual Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He's a good player in a position that we could use one in - if we're going to cap Macken et al I say call him up, the better players we get in the squad the happier we'll all be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He tried to declare before the last WC so this isn't exactly big news.

I'd give him a shot. If we had turned our backl on Morrisson, we might not be contenders for this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Slash/ED wrote:
    He's a left back, fairly decent. Quick enough, good crosser and takes a decent free, I remember him scoring one or two.
    Hes an excellent player. One of our most consistent players. Very committed, very good tackler, good passer too. He goes on some great dribbling runs occasionally and creates a lot of goals. He has scored 5 or 6 this season so far and also created another 5 or 6 himself. I think he would definitely get his game if Kerr picked him. Far better than O'Shea/Maybury/Harte for the left back role.

As Psi said though, he did try it before and there was a problem. Cant remember what it was though, whether it was the playing for the under-21's or if he couldnt prove his irish ancestry. Still, Franck O'Quedrue for ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ian Harte for left back!!!!

/odd how in light of recent wasted dead ball opportunities , wouldnt be that bad having him back so long as he doesnt have to tackle or defend in anyway :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    He has scored 5 or 6 this season so far and also created another 5 or 6 himself.
    He has 5 goals and 5 assists in the league alone, you can't ask more than that from a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

he's 27 or so, and coming into the peak.

I'd welcome him at left back considering how poor we are in that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I think hes a great player, judging by how he performs for me in Fantasy Football, he puts in a good few goal scoring crosses. :D

And as has been said whats the difference between him and Clinton? Im sure everyone who is against Quedrue, cheered when Clinton slammed the ball into the Israeli net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah the fact that people dont want a player like this playing is a bit hipocritical. i dont think its right that a player should be allowed pick his country, i know this goes against our history but it really should be like this. there seems to be alot more cases like this thses days but if thats the way the game is going we might as well take advantage of it. he is a good left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's not like we have an abundance of talent in any position. Any quality player that meets the criteria is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:
    He'd walk into our first team (left back is our weakest link imo) but I don't want to see him called up. I'd back him if he ever did get a call up just like I back the likes of Morrison but atm I'd prefer if we only actually had Irish players playing for us.

The main reason I don't like seeing these type of players capped is the view the foreign public take of our country. England seem to be the only country that joke about it though. He's more Irish than Deco is Portuguese anyway. :) Still, whether we need him or not let stick with the actual Irish.

I've no problem with non-Irish born players lining out for us but I do get a bit suspicious when it turns out they've just been fasttracked into the senior squad after never having played for us at underage level (back when it was neither wise nor profitable.)

Just out of interest which players here (list = 'capped by Kerr') who aren't Irish-born and who also haven't ever represented us at underage level?

//

Barrett (Coventry)
    Breen (Sunderland)
    Byrne (Shelbourne)*
    Carr (Newcastle)
    Carsley (Everton)
    Clarke (Stoke)*
    Colgan (Hibernian)
    Connolly (Leicester)
    Crowe (Bohemians)
    Cunningham (Birmingham)
    Delap (Southampton)
    Doherty (Norwich)
    Douglas (Blackburn)*
    Doyle (Coventry)*
    Duff (Chelsea)
    Dunne (Man City)
    Elliot (Sunderland)*
    Finnan (Liverpool)
    Given (Newcastle)
    Harte (Levante)
    Healy (Sunderland)
    Holland (Charlton)
    Kavanagh (Cardiff)
    Keane, Robbie (Tottenham)
    Keane, Roy (Man United)
    Kenna (Birmingham)
    Kennedy (Wolves)
    Kenny (Sheff Utd)*
    Kiely (Charlton)
    Kilbane (Everton)
    Kinsella (Walsall)
    Lee (Cardiff)*
    Macken (Man City)*
    Maybury (Leicester)
    McAteer (Sunderland)
    McGeady (Celtic)*
    McPhail (Barnsley)
    Miller (Man United)*
    Morrison (Birmingham)
    Murphy (Walsall)*
    O'Brien (Newcastle)
    O'Shea (Man United)
    Quinn, A (Sheff Utd)*
    Reid, A (Spurs)*
    Reid, S (Blackburn)
    Rowlands (QPR)*
    Thompson (Nottm For)*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

id welcome him , infact I even sugested him before but someone replied saying his great grandmother was Irish and not his grandfather and so he wasn't egible for Ireland , how wrong they were .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

As far asi know, i've never seen him play, but if he's a premiership standard player, who is creative, attacking, whilst also solid, why wouldn't we play him? At the end of the day, it's the Irish national team, and all development, funding, grass routes football is all geared towards that team, so why not have the best possible team at the very peak of our national game...that's the whole point isn't it? And to be honest, if there is 3 or 4 players in a Irish 11 that aren't nationally born, that wins a major competition, i don't think many of us will care, and the History books will read Ireland as champions, not a Irish/English/Scottish/French select. So i'm in full support of calling him up and giving him a shot if he's the best man for the job. Left back is such a crucial position for us, and our weakest by far at the moment. Striker being the only other position we don't have much dept in at the moment, but at least we have options in young players coming through. Personnally, i would have Finnan at LB and Carr at RB for this Qualifying campagin, with O'shea on the bench and Kelly in the squad. But the more options the better.

If you look at the build up and the goal he got yesterday, I'd be very impressed with him if thats his attitude all the time. He chased a nothing ball that a lot of players would have let run out, fought and won a corner. Then from the coner he got himself into a good position and scored. Thats the type of attitude we could do with more of.

Pigman II wrote:
    Crowe (Bohemians)

Bit of a typo there, Pigman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Slash/ED wrote:
    Bit of a typo there, Pigman ;)

It's an old list. Besides I haven't seen him getting a callup since he joined your lot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I would welcome him for sure. But i hate it when they say.....I want to play for france but i want to play international football so i would consider playing for ireland. i HATE THAT. look at Lee Trundle, he had said he wants to play for ireland and has always supported ireland and would love to get a call up. Lee even turn down the chance to play for Northen Ireland in the hope that he might play Ireland I hope he does get a call up one day. anyway Quedrue is a good player, he scored a brilliant goal against arsenal at the start of the season.
    Left back is a problem at the moment, we have o'shea who is determined NOT to pass the ball to any of his team mates, and Maybury who i dont really rate, and Harte.........who....well enough said.

So i think he would be a great addition, and a good few of the players in the late 80's early 90's were english. as long as he gives 110% for ireland then we should take him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

kevin kilbane at left back, finnan at right back. Problem sorted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Am I right in thinking he'd be the first player to play for Ireland whose first language isn't English*?

*or Irish

Nah, that would be Ray Houghton.

I knew I'd get a response like that :D

Just keeping you on your toes

touché

• Advertisement
Advertisement