Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamesplayers : Did you notice any ping diff with upgrade? :

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

games5.iol.ie : 18-20ms
    jolt.co.uk : 27-28ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

JNive wrote:
    getting an absolutely flat-out ping of 28ms to jolt, using PPPoA with VCMux encapsulation. was getting 35ms using PPPoE 20 minutes ago :-)
    /Adds JNive to list of people first against the wall when I become King Of The World; right next to €ircon management ;)

Also, i use a D-Link DSL-300g+ ADSL Modem & DI-614+ Wireless NAT Router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

found the option 30 ping on jolt.co.uk now
    thanks JNive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

My ping seems to be back to normal; my downloads are not proper 2Mb but 140K is enough I'll see what tommorow brings.

• Advertisement

what was your old ping tux :-) glad to hear an improvement :-)

my old ping was 36/38

definite improvement i think :-)

i wonder would this help gamers on the business package with interleaving set to high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

tuxy wrote:
    found the option 30 ping on jolt.co.uk now
    thanks JNive :D

Chimps, Chimps the lot of you!

chimps.jpg

Might wanna take a look at this before you say you switched over to PPPoA

http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/adsl/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Pinging jolt im getting anywhere from 120ms to 240ms with the odd 80ms thrown in now and again. About 81ms to games5.iol.ie.

Going to try some gaming now, see how that "goes".

i had a glance at that page Baldy and i dont see why PPPoA would be bad for gaming

whats with all the people posting pings and not saying what isp they are on?
    there is more than 1 dsl isp you know, even if they just sell the same wholesale product backhaul is differnt

so im not getting 20 ms to boards.ie and 30 ms to jolt.co.uk on eircom home plus

tuxy wrote:
    i had a glance at that page Baldy and i dont see why PPPoA would be bad for gaming

It's bad for gaming cause the Eircom network only supports PPPoE. PPPoA is available on english networks and is more efficient on the client but this is not available on Irish networks, while the backbone is an ATM network, information is represent in Ethernet format still.

Baldy wrote:
    It's bad for gaming cause the Eircom network only supports PPPoE. PPPoA is available on english networks and is more efficient on the client but this is not available on Irish networks, while the backbone is an ATM network, information is represent in Ethernet format still.

how come PPPoA works for me then and why is my ping lower with my router set to PPPoA?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm with these guys, I changed over to PPPoA, ping dropped 10ms and my downloads became more stable. It's zee truth.

tuxy wrote:
    how come PPPoA works for me then and why is my ping lower with my router set to PPPoA?

I'm sure ur router is setting itself back to PPPoE, probably resorting to a last known good configuration is my best bet. When ISP are you on?

With Eircom, plus package. Just tried to play some online games there and had a very unstable ping. Half the time it was 1500+ and half the time it was playable although not normal.

Baldy wrote:
    I'm sure ur router is setting itself back to PPPoE, probably resorting to a last known good configuration is my best bet. When ISP are you on?

eircom as stated in my previous posts
    that does not explain the drop in ping for everyone who has tried it so far

With Eircom, plus package. Just tried to play some online games there and had a very unstable ping. Half the time it was 1500+ and half the time it was playable although not normal.

Try a restart on the router if the pings are unstable. Are you on a network of several computers or do you have an unprotected wireless access point? Cause if it's reaching 1500+ I would imagine someone is downloading through ur connection

tuxy wrote:
    eircom as stated in my previous posts
    that does not explain the drop in ping for everyone who has tried it so far

Ring Eircom and ask them about PPPoA setting tomorrow! It's just a change in network condition congestion on the network, etc. How long did you leave the ping going can I ask ? or what are ping are you using max, average, or min results ?

• Advertisement

Have PC and laptop on this line and the laptop is not being used. Restarted router many times already. I'll give it until tomorrow evening until I make sure heads roll.

Have PC and laptop on this line and the laptop is not being used. Restarted router many times already. I'll give it until tomorrow evening until I make sure heads roll.

if you have a hub you can download two packages, WinPCAP and ethereal. This can capture traffic on the network. And tell you what IP address are actively sending and receiving traffic on the network to assertain what the problem is. If you need help PM me.

for me, its a dead steady and i mean steady, 28, 28, 28, 28 ping to jolt, 18 or 19 to games5.iol.ie and 17-18 to eircom.net

Baldy wrote:
    Ring Eircom and ask them about PPPoA setting tomorrow! It's just a change in network condition congestion on the network, etc. How long did you leave the ping going can I ask ? or what are ping are you using max, average, or min results ?

i left the ping going for about 30 seconds and i am using the average
    since i got eircom dsl over a year ago i have never got a better ping lower than 36ms to jolt.co.uk
    with PPPoA i now get 30 average but sometimes as low as 28
    when i change it back to PPPoE it goes up again
    and as you can see the same thing has happened to other people

JNive wrote:
    for me, its a dead steady and i mean steady, 28, 28, 28, 28 ping to jolt, 18 or 19 to games5.iol.ie and 17-18 to eircom.net

you can get pings of 5ms etc if interleaving is remove from the line you can ask eircom to do this but I'm not sure if they'll do it and even if thay do it'll probably take about 6 weeks for it to go through will all the red tape

tuxy wrote:
    i left the ping going for about 30 seconds and i am using the average
    since i got eircom dsl over a year ago i have never got a better ping lower than 36ms to jolt.co.uk
    with PPPoA i now get 30 average but sometimes as low as 28
    when i change it back to PPPoE it goes up again
    and as you can see the same thing has happened to other people

http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/adsl/

Read the Service Definition:

The i-stream service uses a very common ADSL network configuration of PPPoE over RFC1483 bridged ethernet on ATM PVC 8/35. Line speeds are 512/128 and 1M/256. The contention ratio used for dimensioning traffic from DSLAM ports back to the core of the network is 24:1 or 48:1.

The only thing that has changed is the Data rates. since the UPGRADE, they will not bother installing PPPoA as in the future PPPoE will be far more efficient . I hate to be rude but it all in your imagination

Baldy wrote:

The only thing that has changed is the Data rates. since the UPGRADE, they will not bother installing PPPoA as in the future PPPoE will be far more efficient . I hate to be rude but it all in your imagination

so everyone who has tried it on this thread are just imagining it?

tuxy wrote:
    so everyone who has tried it on this thread are just imagining it?

Ring Eircom tomorrow and Tell them that they support PPPoA, See what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

You are all saying this and using fancy graphs etc etc but I play HL2DM 24/7 and I am down to 40-50 from 60-80 and that my friends is how I do my stats ;)
    The interleaving has me curious, I would ring Eircom like a shot to get my ping down to 20 like peeps I know in UK if I thought getting interleaving off was allowed by Eircom....?

• Advertisement

Anarchist wrote:

The interleaving has me curious, I would ring Eircom like a shot to get my ping down to 20 like peeps I know in UK if I thought getting interleaving off was allowed by Eircom....?

i know a net cafe that rang them about that and no dice :(

Advertisement