Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry voted PFA

• 03-04-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

FOOTBALL: TERRY IS TOP OF THE POLLS

Apr 3 2005

JOHN TERRY has been voted Player of the Year by his fellow professionals.

The PFA ballot closed last Thursday and the winner will be formally announced at a glittering dinner in the Grosvenor House Hotel on April 24.

But The SP can reveal that Terry has pipped his Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard to land the coveted award.

He will become the first England defender to take the accolade since Manchester United's Gary Pallister in 1992.

And to complete a club clean sweep, keeper Petr Cech will come in third.

Terry becomes the first Englishman to scoop the title since Teddy Sheringham in 2001 and the first defender to be honoured since Paul McGrath 12 years' ago.

Terry succeeds Thierry Henry and could emulate the Arsenal striker by completing the double of PFA Player of the Year and Football Writers' Football

Well done JT. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good choice it's well deserved.

Congratulations to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Over the past 18 months he's turned from a very good player into a World class one and considering his age it looks like he will turn into a legend of the game .

He deserves it and he deserves the writers one too , although they can be an odd bunch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

john terry deserves that award, well done as he is the cornerstone of chelsea these days, has come along way since his time of shame a few years back, a genuine world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats great news, I'm very happy he got it over Lampard or Gerrard or someone.

He is a quality player and without him Chelsea wouldn't be top of the table, he is just unreal every game for them, and when they need a goal, he is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was Carragher anywhere in the poll? Surely he deserves an honourable mention for holding a bad defence together on his own.

Fair play to JT though deserved, even if I dont think he's 100% positionally. For me he loses players at times and doesnt seem to mark anyone a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well deserved. hes been absolutely outstanding this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would be in everyones best players of the year awards, but hate the way its done so early in the year.
    Should do it in time for last week of season.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    Would be in everyones best players of the year awards, but hate the way its done so early in the year.
    Should do it in time for last week of season.

kdjac
    Its player of the calender year, not season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its player of the calender year, not season.

So why isnt it in January or December :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Stekelly wrote:
    Was Carragher anywhere in the poll? Surely he deserves an honourable mention for holding a bad defence together on his own.

Fair play to JT though deserved, even if I dont think he's 100% positionally. For me he loses players at times and doesnt seem to mark anyone a lot of the time.

think your getting him confused with Mr Rio Ferdinand.

• Advertisement

for me terry and surely carragher are the two outstanding defenders in england.
    Well deserved honour for terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Deserved for Terry, or Lampard if it were him. I really like Terry, he has a very good attitude.

However I still think Carvalho is a more complete player than him, pity he has been injured so often this year.

smuckers wrote:
    think your getting him confused with Mr Rio Ferdinand.

who is critisised enough for his ball watching skills .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah had to be one of terry or lampard. good to see a defender getting recognition. its funny that for all chelseas big signings this year it remains these two players who play the biggest part.

exactly the likes of drogba hasnt done much yet and dont get me started about kezman.
    Yep terry,lampard and duff are the backbone of chelsea and all have been outstanding this season.Should all get in the team of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

ya he's the best defender is england atm. Well deserved.
    galwaydude wrote:
    exactly the likes of drogba hasnt done much yet and dont get me started about kezman.
    Yep terry,lampard and duff are the backbone of chelsea and all have been outstanding this season.Should all get in the team of the season.

How is duff part of the backbone? If he is then Robben is too as he and duff are similar players.

well duff has played a huge part for them this year but if duff is out robben can replace him and vice versa. however if terry or lampard are out they havent got replacements.

Gangsta wrote:
    How is duff part of the backbone? .

He's been injured less and he can defend .

include robben too.
    But dont you agree that duff has been outstanding and he was the one that was supposed to under threat when robben arrived.They are similar i agree but chelsea are better with duff in the side.

young robert Huth aint that bad as a replacement for chelsea and if they buy a left back in the summer include gallas then.I agree they dont have anyone if lampard is replaced.

• Advertisement

oh no doubt huth and gallas are good but nowhere near terry this year.

i agree but then who is at terry's standard in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

galwaydude wrote:
    include robben too.
    But dont you agree that duff has been outstanding and he was the one that was supposed to under threat when robben arrived.They are similar i agree but chelsea are better with duff in the side.
    oh yes definitely. I just wanted to get your point of view.

Carvalho is an absolutly unreal defender.
    He is the best defender in the entire premiership if you ask me, he just got unlucky for injuries this year.

Terry could be a **** defender and it wouldn't matter.
    He leads the team, they see him, the 5000% he gives every every single game, thats why he is the players footballer of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Carvallho has been excellent bar a couple of occassions, his distribution has to get better though. Huth is v similar to Terry, both aren't the quickest but they compensate that for their reading of the game.

1. John Terry
    2. Thierry Henry
    3. Gary Doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well deserved IMO. He's a class player and a great leader.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen when Sol Campbell returns to the English line up. Will he be dropped in favour of Terry as Terry was always kept out of the side in favour of the Campbell and Ferdinand partnership.

B.

Realistically this is Campbell's last chance to play in an international tournament so I think he'll get in the team but Terry doesn't deserve to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah that's very true, but can you see them drop golden boy Rio?

I can't see Rio being dropped and it would be very odd to not have the Player of the Year in the team.

Knowing SGE he'll probably just play all 3 so as to not upset the press. :rolleyes:

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say he'll revert to Rio and Campbell. He seems fairly loyal to certain players, if not justified all the time.

He won't drop Rio, he rates him above Terry and Campbell, is the impression I get anyway.

PHB wrote:
    He won't drop Rio, he rates him above Terry and Campbell, is the impression I get anyway.

Its the impression I get too , even though I would drop Rio , I get the feeling Terry will be dropped .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I wouldnt be so sure about that. There is very little between all three, and the fact that Rio would be a different type of defender to the other two is the main reason I think he will stay in the team.

It gives the side much more balance playing someone like Rio who is better on the ball, and a good reader of the game alongside a more cavalier type like Terry or Campbell.

Advertisement