Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers in skips anyone?

Options
  • 03-04-2005 12:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

hmmm,

A small little PC motherboard I was planning to use just kicked the bucket, so I need to find a replacement. There's a good few old PC's always knocking around the skip in the eng building... would you say anyone would complain if i took one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I've poached computer parts from a few places in UCD. Mostly stuff lying around in corridors, waiting to be taken away and dumped... I've asked services about them, and they told me to go ahead, so I dont suppose anyone is going to complain about you taking something from a skip...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Reminds me of the 'Please don't steal me' stickers. :)

eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah its grand, once stuff goes in the skip it can be taken by anyone. I went out there a few months ago with a few guys from my class to salvage a laser from a broken CD player that had been thrown into the eng skip - the lads got a couple of 17 inch monitors as well, so everyone was happy! (although we couldnt get the laser to work in the end :mad: )

A bin is where people put rubbish.
    A skip is where people put their unwanted goods. =0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

larryone wrote:
    eh??
    A year or two ago there was a story about when computer services (or services) were moving a bunch of PCs. They left them in a public place with a sign saying 'Please don't steal me'. Normally they have to nail things down so they aren't carted away, here the left expensive stuff in public with a sign saying 'Please don't steal me' FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Best bet is the PCs that are left in corridors, they're usually there to be collected by the recycling contractors. The departments usually take out most of the useful components though.

The stuff at the back of Eng is often damaged and you have to be quick to get stuff out before it rains, not the ideal location.

Advertisement